Insanity on my knees

Options
I am 6'2, 435 pounds, and I was wanting to try Insanity but I'm so afraid of causing permanent damage to my knees, I tried doing day one yesterday and got halfway through but then my fear took over and I stopped. So, I was wondering if at my weight it would be okay to do Insanity, without worrying about my knees being destroyed later on in life.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I would only recommend Insanity for the already in-shape individual. What kind of exercises were you doing before you started Insanity?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No advice, I just want this thread title on my newsfeed
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I second the previous post. You don't have do one of the hardest workouts to lose weight. For example, if I wanted to increase how much I could bench press I don't walk into the gym at 175 lbs and try to bench press 300 lbs on my first day. Ease into it. If you are interested in working out from home beachbody has several other programs that are better suited.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, baby steps. Insanity may be a bit much to begin with.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Insanity is brutal, especially on a beginner. I would definitely recommend building up to it.. What kind of exercises are you doing now?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Have you tried walking? Walking was where I started.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would only recommend Insanity for the already in-shape individual.

Yup, no point derailing your fitness journey by injuring yourself doing an intense program that includes a ton of quick jumps and speed that kinda encourages bad form (despite what T says). There are lots of more sensible programs out there that can help you build towards your goals, OP.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just read an article written for doctors that says high impact exercise is not as bad for the cartiledge and joints as once thought and can even delay osteoarthritis.
    I have a bone disease that has caused a great deal of damage to my knees, plus a lot of bad stuff in my neck. I would love to try running and Zumba but I'm going to at least wait until I've dropped about 30 lbs so that I'm not carrying a bag of dog food around on the knees and spine.
    I love long distance running. I ran in college cross country and track. However, between IT Band issues, the knees, hips and spine, I have doubts that I will ever run again.
    I'm a good swimmer and also like rowing and walking.
    At your weight, I would check out the elliptical, stair climber and rowing machine or pool before I would do the Insanity.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The elliptical burns a buttload of calories, and it is easy on the knees.
  • PhilosophyFiddler
    Options
    I have no way to get an elliptical or anything, I have a bunch of free weights and a bench press bench which I use for weight training, but as far as walking, I live in a terrible neighborhood, so walking isn't really an option.. And I'm not too worried about how hard Insanity is or whether I would be able to do it or not, I'm worried about any permanent damage it may cause, and also I have been trying to find a workout program for someone of my size but I haven't come across any, do you guys know of any?
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have no way to get an elliptical or anything, I have a bunch of free weights and a bench press bench which I use for weight training, but as far as walking, I live in a terrible neighborhood, so walking isn't really an option.. And I'm not too worried about how hard Insanity is or whether I would be able to do it or not, I'm worried about any permanent damage it may cause, and also I have been trying to find a workout program for someone of my size but I haven't come across any, do you guys know of any?

I would suggest checking out some of the Leslie Sansone videos on YouTube. Seems like they'd be very easy on your knees and you can do them in your living room. Then maybe you can try to tackle Insanity later. Good luck!
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone DVDs are good. ..The Just Walk. .I have seen them at Walmart...Under $10
  • arabellaflagg
    arabellaflagg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My mailman has similar stats. He's doing Power 90, it's P90X 'lite'. You already have free weights so if you want a structured programme you might consider it.

Second the Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs. Bob Harper has a couple of great resistance training DVDs, the Biggest Loser series of workouts are also good for beginners.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    +3 on Leslie Sansone. I do jazzercize but whenever there is a move that twists my knees, I modify it. I am not small and I know I put a strain on my knees. Take it slow and don't take yourself out with an injury.
    Though you are young (just checked your profile) so you may be more resilient but I just would not risk it.
  • stanthom
    stanthom Posts: 13
    Options
    I 4th the Leslie Sansone suggestion. If you go to her walkathome site, you can do a sample walk there. (It's a 15-minute 1-mile walk. It's one of my favorite miles to do!).

If you sign up on her site (walk social) , you will have access to a few more free workouts.
  • PhilosophyFiddler
    Options
    I tried her videos, they aren't enough for me.. I don't feel like I'm working out, or that I have to push myself at all. I want something hard, that I have to struggle and push myself 100% of the way, but without destroying my body in the process.