Advice please-TEMPTATIONS!!!

Options
Who loves food? I sure do. Anyone attended parties where there are delicious dishes spread out on a table? Where I live, graduation parties are abundant during the summer time. At the graduation parities I attend, there are multiple Filipino dishes spread out on a long table. The smell and appearance of it makes my mouth water and sometimes, I feel like caving in and just stuffing my mouth. In addition, it is quite difficult for me to stick to my meal plans and eat "healthy" when I am surrounded by multiple family members who are great cooks.

Anyone got advice on how to avoid food temptations and continue eating healthy? Any advice is greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Pre log some tasty options and "budget" for it over the week? Could be a bit of additional exercise or lop off a couple hundred calories all week so you can add to party day?

Also if there are so many parties, a good strategy in general is to remember that if you don't have X goodies today, you can always have it next time. So maybe delicious treat 1, 2, & 3 today, 5&6 next week, etc
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Fill up on veggies or eat before you go.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Definitely make it a point to eat before you show up, so you can control what you're eating, how much, how it's prepared, etc.

There is nothing worse than getting derailed at a party because you're starving and all the hosts put out are less than ideal-for-dieter snacks.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I choose the lesser of the evils. haha. No really, it's worth it to me to skip the high calorie foods, so I can indulge a little in the good stuff. High calorie is all the starches like rice, noodles, potatoes, bread. If you skip those, then you'll likely be able to eat the main dishes. It's all about making compromises. That said, I have no idea about the calorie content in filipino main dishes. I love curry dishes, but of course anything with coconut milk is super high cal. And anything oily is also 'expensive' on calories.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We had some leaving parties at the office, I sampled a lot of different foods, put small portions. I took a small plate, cut the cheeses etc, in portions where I could estimate their weight, had even a very small piece of cake, tried different quiches, and still was able to keep within my calorie goal for the day. Small pieces is the trick when there is a lot on offer.
  • jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can you bring your own dish to share? When I go to parties, I bring something to share that fits my calorie needs. That way I know at least something I eat will be okay and when I have a plate of it, nobody pushes food on me.

Filling up on veggies is good. Have you tried filling up on lean proteins before? Protein makes me less hungry.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Can you burn a lot of calories with exercise? I like to focus on a weekly rather than daily total, so if I know I have something on over the weekend like a wedding or dinner party I don't eat my exercise calories back during the week and 'save' them up for the party. I had a month where there was something like like that on every weekend. I ate everything I wanted, busted my butt at the gym and still lost :)