Is my goal weight too much?

Options
I've never been far by any means but I've always hated the way my body looked, I always wanted to lose a few pounds. I'm around 5'4 and was around 133 pounds. I lost 8lbs in the last month and am now 125lbs. My friends and family say I look great and have been very supportive but think my goal weight of 119lbs is too much, that I'll be too skinny and I should just concentrate on maintaining my current weight.

My goal weight has always been 119 and I feel great after losing those 8lbs and want to keep going but I don't want to look too skinny. I want to look healthy.

Is it too much for a person of my height?

Replies

• jennahaines108
    jennahaines108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're at a perfect weight now. But whether or not it is unhealthy to go to 119 really depends on your body's framework. If you had a picture up, that might help.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also, weight is just one part of the equation. Are you doing any strength training? How's your flexibility? If you added some weight lifting and yoga/pilates, you'll see a remarkable change in your body even if the scale stays the same or goes up. I know it sounds weird--I never believed it myself, until I started doing more weights in the last few weeks and did a month-long series of pilates workouts. Even though I really haven't lost that much weight according to the scale, my figure looks so much more toned and firm.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Where you are now seems to be fine. However, scale weight actually doesn't matter as much as body fat %. I think what you really want is to change your overall body composition and to do that you need to lift weights. Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength. Those are the things that will get the 'look' you are aiming for.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on your frame too. I'm a bit taller but I'd still look very skinny at 120 pounds.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    You are at the lower end of the BMI for your height already....assuming you are not skinny fat you would be looking pretty healthy already.

If you are skinny fat you would be better placed to concentrate on exercise (resistance / weights training) than losing more weight.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'd eat at maintenence and take photos measurements to work on composition. With a big frame I am a size 0 at 125 ( 5'4")....so 118 I'd look sick. I've put on 10# of muscle and am 143 size 4 going to do another cut this fall to get to 135. Photos/ measurements help ALOT!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have 125 pounds of lean mass at 5'5" so I am with the person who said get your body fat tested.
    Body composition is huge!
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i would say they are right, you sound healthy the weight you are :)
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Mine set my target for me, which is actually more then what most think is "healthy" i have about 50lbs to lose still and people tell me i dont need to lose any more, its ridiculous. if you're good where you're at and its a healthy weight then stay there, if you want to lose a few more lbs and its still a healthy weight for you, dont listen to other people, its not their body.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you. I'm 113 lbs and I'm pretty small, I mean my collar bones are very visible and I don't think it's an attractive thing (it's still a healthy weight).
    I think you're at a good weight. :) I think you should do what YOU think and not what others tell you, but bear in mind we're our own self's worst judges. Especially women, especially when it comes to weight. 125 lbs is a healthy weight... Perhaps you should look into weight training if you want to look slimmer! :) And also be healthier of course... I agree about having your body fat tested!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you are the same size as my sister...and she looks great...so I have to assume you look great too...

She was 119 once while she was sick...she looked awful....very drawn and sunken...not healthy at all...never mind she wasn't feeling well.

A lot of times the issue is what we see tho...as another poster mentioned maybe you need to start some form of resistence training...be it bodyweight exercises, circut training, HIIT or even heavy weight lifting....that changes your body composisition and the actual "look" of your body.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and I know I would look ill if I went down to 119lbs, I've set myself a goal for around 134lbs otherwise my face looks gaunt x
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and a half, and at 133 as of today, I look thin.

People stop me while I am out to ask me what my "secret" is.

My mother told me yesterday, privately,that enough is enough, don't lose another pound.

I wear a 6 in jeans, a small in shirts, 34 in bra band size, and a medium in swimwear I just purchased. It's strange to accept that I am now a slim person, but those numbers (jeans, bras,swimsuit) tell me that I am.

I think if I lost any more weight, I'd just be doing it so my scale flashed a lower number when I stepped on. No real physical benefit to me at this point.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say from one person to the next. I'm only 5'2" and 119 would be super low for me based on my body composition, but I know that other women my height can get down below 110 and look fine. One thing you can look at doing is determining your current body fat level. From there, you can calculate what BF% you might be at 119 and decide if that % is something you can attain.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weight 128. The only time I weighed 118 was after I had my appendix out and I didn't look much different except that my face was pretty thin, also I wore a size 4. I have a medium bone structure and really can't maintain that low a weight. I'm thinking about going down to 125, but I also want to gain muscle, so it may be that I will stay at this weight add muscle and reduce my body fat % by doing more strength training.

I do three days of strength training do through body pump and shred, but people have been telling me that those are more cardio than strength training. I'm going to stick with those for a while and see what happens first, before I change my workout.
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In my opinion 119lb on 5'4" body is not underweight or sickly. I'm 5'4" and I know that 5lb can make a big difference on a little frame. According to BMI you would be in the normal range. Even if you got down to 110 you would be at the absolute low end of normal. I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve with your body. Is there a certain look you are trying to get? Because I know that with lifting women can weigh more but they are incredibly fit and look leaned out without being too skinny or skinny fat as they say. I will just say when I was 135lbs I was a size 11 in jeans when most 5'4" girls I know were like a 6 or 8 at that weight. So it really just depends on your frame and goals I'd say.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight isn't the only factor when determining how someone looks. But if your happy with your body, then I think you should stick with the weight your at now.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say from one person to the next. I'm only 5'2" and 119 would be super low for me based on my body composition, but I know that other women my height can get down below 110 and look fine. One thing you can look at doing is determining your current body fat level. From there, you can calculate what BF% you might be at 119 and decide if that % is something you can attain.

I agree with all this. Your body frame will also help determine what is too low for you. Unfortunately everyone on the internet can only give you their own advice.