Windows 8?

Options
tmaryam
tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
Anyone LIKE it? And has anyone tried Windows 8.1?

I'm buying a new laptop, I'm wondering if I should pay more to get Windows 7 or just accept the changes. I haven't tried out a laptop with 8 yet, I've only read reviews.

PS: I don't care for Apple.

Replies

• addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Its a horrid first week having 8 but you get used to no start button and charm bar on the side. 8.1 is exactly the same as 8 but it has a start button that just takes you to the weird dashboardy thing. You get used to it eventually
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    oh gawd I despise it , start menu is horrid ,
  • tmaryam
    Options
    I'm wondering if it was designed strictly for the touchscreen laptops. I think that's most likely what I'll end up buying. But I'll look for Windows 7 or 8.1 because I want a Start menu.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Don't like it. It's weird. I downloaded a start button from Iobit and that helps, but still, it's not Windows 7.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's faster than 7. Other than the dashboard (which you can completely ignore with 8.1, since you can boot directly to the desktop,) it's really not much different from 7. Faster, less resource intensive. It's a great operating system, and I've yet to see a single valid criticism of it, beyond "OMG IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE SAME AS WINDOWS 7 THAT I'M ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH!!"

I've used every version of Windows that has existed, and 8 has become my favorite.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got it specifically for my writing.
    I wouldn't recommend win8 to anyone
    who loved Xp or Win7. It's more like your
    smart devices. I wanted a stupid old
    Windows device and got this instead.
    Finding Win7 preloaded is pretty difficult
    these days though.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's faster than 7. Other than the dashboard (which you can completely ignore with 8.1, since you can boot directly to the desktop,) it's really not much different from 7. Faster, less resource intensive. It's a great operating system, and I've yet to see a single valid criticism of it, beyond "OMG IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE SAME AS WINDOWS 7 THAT I'M ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH!!"

I've used every version of Windows that has existed, and 8 has become my favorite.
    I haven't used it much, since my own computers have 7, but I found it a pain to try and help a couple of others with theirs. The navigation to control panel and such was uninituitive, and I found simple things like transferring pictures off of a camera had been unnecessarily complicated.

I'd probably get used to it if I did use it regularly, but I feel no great desire to do so, even for the performance benefits.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    im not into it but you do get use to it

i got a new lap top a couple weeks ago that had windows 8 and it ended up "Failing to update" and completely looped/crashed

had to take it back and get a new one as per the protection plans advice ...soooooooooooooooooooooo unimpressed
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Ugh, I can't decide. There are several available from Best Buy with Windows 7, but they're more expensive because they're selling more than those with 8. I guess I'll just go into Best Buy and play with one.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I haven't used it much, since my own computers have 7, but I found it a pain to try and help a couple of others with theirs. The navigation to control panel and such was uninituitive, and I found simple things like transferring pictures off of a camera had been unnecessarily complicated.

I'd probably get used to it if I did use it regularly, but I feel no great desire to do so, even for the performance benefits.
    Right click the start menu button and select "Control Panel." :tongue: Not sure about cameras, but for photo importing from my Galaxy S5, it's just a matter of plugging it in. The photo app auto-launches, and it's one click import. Then again, I'm on 8.1, you might have been messing with 8.0.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I hear it is the new Vista.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I hear it is the new Vista.

It is in line with MS releases.
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    i use it at home and at work, work wise its a bit of a pain with various issues but that wont cause the standard user any problems. at home it is best suited for a touch screen device, 8.1 is better and tbh its good once you get used to the layout (people are always scared of change at first)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a special snowflake but I didn't find the change too jarring. Took me a day or two to figure out where everything is, then I was good to go.

The biggest annoyance is the side bar, always drifting into that thing. The biggest advantage is the Netflix app, works much better than the website.

I can't compare performance since I had XP on my old laptop which was a beautiful machine that lasted me nearly four years and got 8 with my new one which is a piece of **** that's already breaking down.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    I was a little thrown by the layout and design of it but adjusted quickly. It's actually rather nice once you bother to take the time to learn the ins and outs!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    despise it. It belongs on nothing else but a tablet/
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I was a little thrown by the layout and design of it but adjusted quickly. It's actually rather nice once you bother to take the time to learn the ins and outs!

This.

I then upgraded to 8.1 and wouldn't want to switch back to the older versions.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    It does take some getting used to. They shouldn't have changed it like they did, but it's just the interface. All my programs still work as the did under Windows 7. That's what's important. The interface can be tweaked, but not software incompatibilities. I'm sure there are some programs that may not work, but none of mine.

The interface problem can be fixed by using free or paid third party apps to bring back the Start menu instead of using the new Start screen. If you only use a few things the new Start screen would probably work.

I spend most of my time on the desktop and not the Start screen. With Windows 8.1 you can opt to default to the desktop.

Speed is really a non-issue. It isn't actually faster, I don't think. They've optimized the startup process so it appears to be faster, but then once it has booted not all services have actually started yet and you may still wait for background processes to spin up.

You'll be fine.

P.S. I'm with you on the Apple topic.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I love it. Takes some getting used to but once you figure it out it is really fast.

For those that hate it and want XP or windows 7, just remember, XP is no longer a valid option and Windows 7 will eventually follow the same path. Software is constantly being upgraded and changed. People just need to get used to that fact and adapt.