Stupid fitbit question

Options
aqualeo1
aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
Ok, so the fitbit tracks steps, stairs, sleep and such. I get that. And I know it's not a hrm. So let's say I do a kickboxing video or something. Does it know that I'm working out hard? In other words do I need to add extra exercise calories to the daily total to get my tdee for the day?

I'm just trying to figure out my maintenance calories. I don't really care how many steps I take in a day. Should I bother getting one of these? Any opinions appreciated :)

Replies

• Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It cannot measure intensity levels, so if you want a more accurate calorie burn estimation, you would have to manually log an activity, your calorie burn estimation would then need to be added either by adding the general estimation for that exercise, or by wearing a heart rate monitor.
    I would suggest that you then do not wear your fitbit during this time, as it might pick up some of the movement, so you would end up with inflated values.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP and I believe it's similar to Fitbit. It tracks my steps during the day, not stairs but I can also add in workouts on the app and intensity from easy, moderate and hard, and from that it gives me an accurate picture of the calories burned, and it will sync to MFP. I wear mine when I work out, in fact I only take it off to recharge it.

You can probably just google that question to see if Fitbit will do that, and if not you can add it in in MFP under exercise.
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP and I believe it's similar to Fitbit. It tracks my steps during the day, not stairs but I can also add in workouts on the app and intensity from easy, moderate and hard, and from that it gives me an accurate picture if the calories burned, and it will sync to MFP.

You can probably just google that question to see if Fitbit will do that, and if not you can add it in in MFP under exercise. But MFP won't let you do an intensity level that I know of?

Yes, I believe when I was syncing my fitbit to mfp, there was a notice that I should log everything on mfp (food, weight loss, exercise). Meaning, I log my workouts on mfp and it syncs to my fitbit. That's why sometimes I might not reach my step goal for the day, but I will reach my calories burned for the day.
    Now the next question is if mfp is properly calculating my calories burned. A hrm would probably be the best for that. I'm thinking of buying one to really get an accurate reading.
  • movegrooveandwatchthefood
    Options
    I have a polar that I bought eight years ago it's a gem and it calculates all my calories I burn .I love it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The bodymedia device is what you're looking for. It tracks calories and automatically registers the differences in intensity
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Fitbit tracks intensity of step-based motion but not resistance and not non-step activities, so it'd capture part of your kickboxing workout but not all.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Log that kind of exercise into MFP and Fitbit adjusts based on its tracking of your steps and stairs. Even if it slightly underestimates your burn it comes close enough and you will benefit. Even tracking your food is just an estimate so dont get bogged down in the details.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It cannot measure intensity levels, so if you want a more accurate calorie burn estimation, you would have to manually log an activity, your calorie burn estimation would then need to be added either by adding the general estimation for that exercise, or by wearing a heart rate monitor.
    I would suggest that you then do not wear your fitbit during this time, as it might pick up some of the movement, so you would end up with inflated values.

No need to take the FitBit off. Just log the activity on the FitBit site, and your data will override the data it collected while exercising. Just make sure you note the time you start working out, and the duration, so it knows which block of data to override.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP and I believe it's similar to Fitbit. It tracks my steps during the day, not stairs but I can also add in workouts on the app and intensity from easy, moderate and hard, and from that it gives me an accurate picture if the calories burned, and it will sync to MFP.

You can probably just google that question to see if Fitbit will do that, and if not you can add it in in MFP under exercise. But MFP won't let you do an intensity level that I know of?

Yes, I believe when I was syncing my fitbit to mfp, there was a notice that I should log everything on mfp (food, weight loss, exercise). Meaning, I log my workouts on mfp and it syncs to my fitbit. That's why sometimes I might not reach my step goal for the day, but I will reach my calories burned for the day.
    Now the next question is if mfp is properly calculating my calories burned. A hrm would probably be the best for that. I'm thinking of buying one to really get an accurate reading.

Heart rate monitors are great for steady state cardio, like running or cycling.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Excellent Answer!
    Log that kind of exercise into MFP and Fitbit adjusts based on its tracking of your steps and stairs. Even if it slightly underestimates your burn it comes close enough and you will benefit. Even tracking your food is just an estimate so dont get bogged down in the details.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It cannot measure intensity levels,

That's not *quite* accurate... Fitbit does measure intensity level based on the intensity of the movement.

I've actually found that for quite a few exercises, Fitbit's estimates are close to my HRM's measurements. Not always, but often.

With that said, folks are correct that you'll generally get a more accurate measurement using a heart rate monitor -- which is, of course, also providing an estimate (although, hopefully, a more accurate estimate). ;-)

It's also correct that you don't need to take the Fitbit off, so long as you're eventually getting the activity recorded with Fitbit. Whether you enter it manually or through the HRM, so long as the start and stop times are entered into Fitbit, the calories associated with that period of time will override what the Fitbit recorded. I never take my Flex off, except to charge it.
  • aqualeo1
    Options
    The bodymedia device is what you're looking for. It tracks calories and automatically registers the differences in intensity

Ooh I'm gonna look into that. I would love an all in one device. Thanks
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is a glorified pedometer.

And there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
  • aqualeo1
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think it's gonna come down to a cost issue. I don't work out an insane amount so I would like to not have to buy a hrm. I'm ok with ballpark numbers.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No
  • aqualeo1
    Options
    No what?