How do I log this?

Options
rebprest
rebprest Posts: 149 Member
I just spent 3 hours pulling up carpet and prying tiles off a floor. What would that fall under? No heart-rate monitor, sadly. I sweated like a beast, though, so I'm pretty sure I burned a lot of calories.

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    cleaning, heavy vigorous or carpentry, general will give you about the same burn?
  • rebprest
    Options
    Thank you!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I'd probably log calories burned and include as recovery from a home-remodel project along with a stiff drink :laugh: :laugh:
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    IMO trying to say cleaning is exercise is just cheating yourself.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Agreed, but I do think remodeling is quite a better workout than cleaning.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If in doubt, aerobics :tongue:
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Also agree, but I've done remodeling and it is not the same as cleaning!! When in doubt, only eat back 50% of those calories and you'll be fine.
  • rebprest
    Options
    This was nothing like cleaning. I was using a crowbar to pry up long strips of stapled wood and chiseling off edging as well as cutting and ripping up carpet and prying up large glued on tiles (not at my house, at a friends). I was dripping with sweat, so I don't think it is a lie to call it exercise, especially since I was at it for 2.5 hours. It's not like I vacuumed my living room and tried to call it a workout.
  • Sidpandy
    Sidpandy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Walking 3Mph
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I don't frickin' think so! You ever gotten down on your knees and scrubbed the hell out of your bath or shower? You ever vacuumed a whole house? Scrubbed toilets, washed mirrors and windows, the dishes, the laundry (towels, comforter covers, sheets, floor mats), swept around the outside of the house, weeded your garden, mowed the lawn, raked, edged, trimmed bushes, cut branches or planted a garden?

I understand a good deal of what I just said is more like yard work than cleaning, but being a home owner is a full time job and it's hard as hell.

ETA: I just checked and you're 20. I'll give you ten to fifteen years to figure it out.

The only "cleaning" calories I wouldn't log would be if I just did the dishes and that's it. Or I just picked up the living room and that's it. Cleaning and home ownership is for the brave, responsible and adult. I'm hoping your comment indicates you don't do much cleaning or that you're too young to understand what cleaning can entail.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Also agree, but I've done remodeling and it is not the same as cleaning!! When in doubt, only eat back 50% of those calories and you'll be fine.

Whatever you want to call it. Don't care.

I was moving and lifting 50 pound bags of mulch for about an hour today and I would find it pointless for me to consider that exercise.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

I don't frickin' think so! You ever gotten down on your knees and scrubbed the hell out of your bath or shower? You ever vacuumed a whole house? Scrubbed toilets, washed mirrors and windows, the dishes, the laundry (towels, comforter covers, sheets, floor mats), swept around the outside of the house, weeded your garden, mowed the lawn, raked, edged, trimmed bushes, cut branches or planted a garden?

I understand a good deal of what I just said is more like yard work than cleaning, but being a home owner is a full time job and it's hard as hell.

ETA: I just checked and you're 20. I'll give you ten to fifteen years to figure it out.

The only "cleaning" calories I wouldn't log would be if I just did the dishes and that's it. Or I just picked up the living room and that's it. Cleaning and home ownership is for the brave, responsible and adult. I'm hoping your comment indicates you don't do much cleaning or that you're too young to understand what cleaning can entail.

Yes to all of me doing that and I would never even consider adding that as exercise. Just like I posted to someone else, I was moving 50 pound bags of mulch around for an hour today and the thought of counting that as exercise never crossed my mind.

Oh and don't even attempt the holier than thou approach saying "you're 20". As if that means anything to the amount of work and cleaning I've done. You can go ahead and eat an extra 500 calories for mowing the lawn if you want, but don't cry when you don't lose weight that week.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    on those like today I did a crap load of yard work. I just do like a general gardening and guess at it.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Yes to all of me doing that and I would never even consider adding that as exercise. Just like I posted to someone else, I was moving 50 pound bags of mulch around for an hour today and the thought of counting that as exercise never crossed my mind.

Oh and don't even attempt the holier than thou approach saying "you're 20". As if that means anything to the amount of work and cleaning I've done. You can go ahead and eat an extra 500 calories for mowing the lawn if you want, but don't cry when you don't lose weight that week.

Well, guess what? It is. You're just that amazing of a person to not consider it or not need it, but lifting 50 pound weights for an hour sounds like more than most people's trip to the gym. I mean, really? Lifting 50 lbs. continuously for an hour and you don't consider that exercise. I went to the gym for 30 minutes yesterday and intensely lifted 35, 40, and 45 pounds in circuit. Should I not have logged that?
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

I do like others have suggested and cut my estimate in half for calories. I don't know why you'd assume I would overestimate on something like mowing the lawn. And you being 20 means, in my experience, not cleaning and doing yardwork for a whole house by yourself. Do you?
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Well, guess what? It is. You're just that amazing of a person to not consider it or not need it, but lifting 50 pound weights for an hour sounds like more than most people's trip to the gym. I mean, really? Lifting 50 lbs. continuously for an hour and you don't consider that exercise. I went to the gym for 30 minutes yesterday and intensely lifted 35, 40, and 45 pounds in circuit. Should I not have logged that?

I'm curious as to how you calculated calories burned for lifting weights
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Isn't cleaning, housework, yard work, etc just a part of living an "active" lifestyle (vs sedentary)? I mean, do whatever you want, but it seems weird to me.

He never said that cleaning the house wasn't hard work.... he just said that counting it as actually exercising (aka: something more than your "active" lifestyle) is cheating yourself out of those calories that you naturally burned in your day to day life.

*shrug* People get so butthurt sometimes.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

Isn't cleaning, housework, yard work, etc just a part of living an "active" lifestyle (vs sedentary)? I mean, do whatever you want, but it seems weird to me.

He never said that cleaning the house wasn't hard work.... he just said that counting it as actually exercising (aka: something more than your "active" lifestyle) is cheating yourself out of those calories that you naturally burned in your day to day life.

*shrug* People get so butthurt sometimes.
    Exactly
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I wear a HRM and cut that in half, typically, depending on time and intensity. In the past, I've gone off of lifting books like New Rules, which suggests you eat back 250 for an intense, 30-minute work out. Again, you're young and just must not need to count things like that. I'm getting old and fat and hungry, and like to eat back some of my workouts. I also have a pretty low calorie goal, so I like to eat back something for each exercise. I don't at all care to debate my workouts.

I do care about giving caloric credit to myself for a decent expenditure of energy. For example, like where this started, I consider the way I clean a decent expenditure of energy and think people deserve at least a little bit of a break on their calorie restriction if they've earned it.
  • MBrothers22
    Options
    I wear a HRM and cut that in half, typically, depending on time and intensity. In the past, I've gone off of lifting books like New Rules, which suggests you eat back 250 for an intense, 30-minute work out. Again, you're young and just must not need to count things like that. I'm getting old and fat and hungry, and like to eat back some of my workouts. I also have a pretty low calorie goal, so I like to eat back something for each exercise. I don't at all care to debate my workouts.

I do care about giving caloric credit to myself for a decent expenditure of energy. For example, like where this started, I consider the way I clean a decent expenditure of energy and think people deserve at least a little bit of a break on their calorie restriction if they've earned it.

Well as the old and wise 31 year old man that you are, you should know that HRM are not at all accurate for weight training. So you are basically taking a random number and making it even more random by cutting it in half.

I've done the exact same routine multiple times with a HRM just to test this and I get results 100s of calories apart.