Do we need to take an exercise "rest" day?

Options
Hello!
I've just recently re-started the couch to 5k (I completed through week 8 this summer - then I only did the program 3x a week as per directions and had no physical problems) , and I'm currently on week 4. I'm doing it every day this time as If I don't exercise pretty hard (for me), I have trouble sleeping.

Is not taking a rest day going to be a detriment?

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Why not do your C25K 3 days a week like it suggests, do 2 days of something like yoga and 2 days of something like Zumba? That'll help you sleep and not hurt your body as much! Maybe?

Good luck buddy :smile:
  • want2BthinRN
    Options
    I just finished week one, I was wondering the same thing before and I posted a question on here. Alot people that have done the C25K responded and most suggested to follow the program and not skip ahead. So I am doing like the other poster on here said, I am doing different execises on my "off" days from the c25k program. Good luck!!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You should only be getting 5-6 days a week workout with one day off. You need to give your body time to rest.
  • Pamphone
    Options
    I get burnt out if I don't take a rest day.
  • brandnewgirl
    Options
    What is the couch to 5k ?
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have been doing C25k for a while. I run with it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And then on Tuesday and Thursday I do some strength training and some other form of exercise like cycling or yoga. Then take off Saturday and Sunday. Then I feel refreshed come Monday to start over!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    What is the couch to 5k ?

It's a running program. Google couch to 5K....there is a website for it :)
  • PokenStick
    Options
    In the long run, yes.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. If I don't exercise, I don't sleep well... help please pple :)
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll for the input. You guys are the best! Really. the. best.

For the person that asked what is couch to 5k here's my favorite free download. (I've got a couple and I alternate...I have a serious case of ADHD and listening to the same thing over and over drives me bananas!)
    http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/

I tend to get over focused on things, and that is likely bad for me! I will go see if I can find some yoga or other such DVD's today. Yoga is what I'd really like to do - I found some stuff on youtube last night, and only did like 15 minutes and my arms and bun are burning this morning! (that downward dog and bridge) But I'm going discount shopping so we will see what's there.

It's been snowing a lot here lately ,and when the weather is bad I'm more likely to exercise indoors where it's nice and dry!

Again, thanks!