Fast Food Addiction

Options
13»

Replies

• korymaeris
    korymaeris Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's one of those "when the student is ready the teacher appears" things. When you want to give it up, you will.

Trust me, as a food addict myself, I understand that there are things you just have to have. At the same time, when you "make the decision" or life makes it for you, you know when it's time to "behave." Until then, the inner child is driving the car. That inner child will always get those fries. Wants it, craves it, must have instant gratification, can't turn it down.

We don't let kids near fires. We tell them, "Don't go there, it'll hurt you." But when there's 18 fast food places on your way to work or to school, and you purposefully don't have breakfast thinking you're being good, you're really turning the reigns over to that inner child because you get so hungry that you'll eat anything you find....in one of those fast food restaurants on the way. When you're hungry everything sounds good.

There are things at fast food restaurants that aren't as bad as others. It's all about choosing your doom. Do you choose the big breakfast platter with the biscuit, hot cakes, syrup and sausage that are all NOT food journal friendly, or an egg mcmuffin that's not quite as bad, and the added bonus of being protein friendly?

Once you really make the decision of the path you're on and want to be on, the decisions of what to choose at the fast food restaurant become a lot easier.

This is exactly what it is, the "inner child." Thank you. I will certainly start thinking of this.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Subway: (specifically eggs or other company's frozen eggs) "Some things that are in this special blend include glycerin, a solvent found in soap and shaving cream, dimethylpolysiloxane, a silicone that can also be found in Silly Putty, and calcium silicate, a sealant used on roofs and concrete."

I've heard that Subway stuff also contains dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO), which is also used as an industrial solvent, a retardant in fire suppressant systems, and a key ingredient in the production of styrofoam. Worse yet, the FDA doesn't even require that companies disclose the use of DHMO, so you could be ingesting it without even knowing!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Subway: (specifically eggs or other company's frozen eggs) "Some things that are in this special blend include glycerin, a solvent found in soap and shaving cream, dimethylpolysiloxane, a silicone that can also be found in Silly Putty, and calcium silicate, a sealant used on roofs and concrete."

I've heard that Subway stuff also contains dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO), which is also used as an industrial solvent, a retardant in fire suppressant systems, and a key ingredient in the production of styrofoam. Worse yet, the FDA doesn't even require that companies disclose the use of DHMO, so you could be ingesting it without even knowing!

I swam through 27,000 gallons earlier and had no ill effects. I may drink some with my mid-day snack too.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    In California, Carl's Jr has a sign up that says, "WARNING: Chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm may be present in foods or beverages sold or served here." I first noticed that sign when I was in college, grabbing some quick hamburger and fries to relieve some stress from school. Since then, I've stopped eating fast food so much. Scary right?? You'd think it's just about calories and moderation but it's not!! There's some jacked up **** in your processed fast food. I believe you're doing more harm than good eating them.

That being said, getting over an "addiction" requires a strong willpower and a true desire to stop and take productive actions. Like others have said, start by planning out your meals. Prepping and cooking for yourself helps a lot if you're too busy during the weekday. I work full time and go to evening school afterwards (5:30 AM to 10:00 PM) so the only chance I get to prepare meals is during the weekend. Set some time aside on Saturday or Sunday just to cook and meal plan. Refrigerate/freeze portions so in the morning, you can just grab your breakfast and lunch and go. If you're craving, buy snacks high in protein/good fats and always carry that around. Small changes are the best, imo. If you're eating out too much now, cut that by half, incorporate your own cooking by half, then cut half again, then go cold turkey completely after a while, once your cravings subside. Hope this helps!!
  • korymaeris
    Options

I swam through 27,000 gallons earlier and had no ill effects. I may drink some with my mid-day snack too.

Hahahaha! This!

I was a chemist before an historian, and I always laugh about stuff like this. XD
  • korymaeris
    Options
    In California, Carl's Jr has a sign up that says, "WARNING: Chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm may be present in foods or beverages sold or served here." I first noticed that sign when I was in college, grabbing some quick hamburger and fries to relieve some stress from school. Since then, I've stopped eating fast food so much. Scary right?? You'd think it's just about calories and moderation but it's not!! There's some jacked up **** in your processed fast food. I believe you're doing more harm than good eating them.

That being said, getting over an "addiction" requires a strong willpower and a true desire to stop and take productive actions. Like others have said, start by planning out your meals. Prepping and cooking for yourself helps a lot if you're too busy during the weekday. I work full time and go to evening school afterwards (5:30 AM to 10:00 PM) so the only chance I get to prepare meals is during the weekend. Set some time aside on Saturday or Sunday just to cook and meal plan. Refrigerate/freeze portions so in the morning, you can just grab your breakfast and lunch and go. If you're craving, buy snacks high in protein/good fats and always carry that around. Small changes are the best, imo. If you're eating out too much now, cut that by half, incorporate your own cooking by half, then cut half again, then go cold turkey completely after a while, once your cravings subside. Hope this helps!!

It does, thank you!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    think of the mistreatment of employees that you are supporting with that money. that also helps me.

Word. I used to manage a Taco Bell, worked at Braum's for two years, KFC for one, and worked at Subway for three years. Aside from the gross things that people did to the food, we got paid ****, like the cost of a meal being more than what I made in an hour. Thanks for the reminder. Ugh.

I know... makes me sad, especially when I saw older individuals not even able to live paycheck to paycheck. another thought from working in food service- the waste and impact on the environment! no one is recycling there- like at all, culvers is the only establishment I have seen to recently add a recycling bin. there is so much food waste. and the individual packaging and wrappers and cups is crazy! If everyone just brought there own sack lunch with reusable containers the waste would be close to zero. that kinda makes me feel bad enough on its own and helps me decide not to eat there.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options

A friend of mine did that once. His pee pee fell off.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

A friend of mine did that once. His pee pee fell off.
    I got better.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not surprised that there would be *kitten* on top of nice people, but goodness. Things that put people down don't help, and do nothing. Were you not ever once struggling against something that felt impossible? It's not like I'm a newbie at this, I just have a problem I haven't been able to deal with on my own. I did Muay Thai, ran 60+ miles a week, and still strength train. I broke both ankles while trail running, and let me tell you, it's hard to pick up healthy habits when you're stuck like that, and with recurring bone edema due to an old fracture, it's pretty easy to beat yourself up. Don't judge people before you actually know them.

Thanks again everyone who was kind in their advice.

No one is judging you. There's just too many other people on this site who have had it much worse than you and still manage to make things work.

Quite frankly, the money issue alone should be enough for you to stop.
  • picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy busy life too ( sometimes work 24 - 36 hrs without sleep between work shifts and home).

What may help you save time and money is planning:

- Grocery store 1x a week would cost you 1 person around 25-30$, look for sales or specials: my fav is the vegge pasta barilla carrots and tomato one, sometimes it is b1g1 or 99c a box - it makes 6 servings + no sugar added ragu sauce + few meatballs or not

- greek yogurt at $2 a big plain box has protein and is filling + cereal for crunch or mix with cold pasta and chicken can for pasta salad without mayo (pinch of cumin and black pepper - yum)

When i make pasta I go ahead and make 1/2 the box or so and then put in tupperware plain so I can add sauce/ season when it is time to eat.

- bananas and apples are cheap, and portable, even better bananas are clean (no washing needed)

- cereal bars - fiber one chocolate is my fav (i think around $2 for 5-6 bars so 30 c a bar and replaces breakfast with a cold glass of milk for me)

- bran cereal plain - cheapest cereal and healthiest, if i need a treat I get the chocolate cherios - both are 100 cal for 3/4 cup or 130 cal for 1 cup or so, servings are about 10 - 14, trust me no one wants more than one cup of a bran cereal i feel pukey full after it, cost is about $2.50 for bran up to $3-4 for cherries

- milk - i usually get 1 gallon or 2 every 7 - 10 days, it had protien, A, D, Ca++, cold, portable, filling ($6 )
    (rate of gastric emptying is same as a solid.. so you feel full longer!)

- chicken deli slices are inexpensive and hormel ones are antibiotic and preservative free, also do lean turkey meatballs, and tofu - the trick here is you do not need a LOT of this. Like tofu block is 4-5 servings, you should have 3-4 meatballs or 5-6 mini meatballs with the pasta, 3 slices of chicken with spinach in a wheat tortilla. Not sure how much I spend on this but I would estimate around $5-6 a week, Tofu is cheap where I am I can often find it for $1

- instead of ice cream i buy the extra ca+ pudding cups, its cold, yummie, cheaper and portion controlled at 100 - 110 cal a cup $1-1.50)

- veggies - go frozen, i throw in 1/4 a block of the frozen spinach (usually a 1$ at any store) with the above pasta, once it is saucy you barely notice it, or toss it on a pizza made of a tortilla, spinach, some of the spagetti sauce from above, a few chopped up meat balls and cheese ($2-3 for 1 lb bag of cali blend veggies)

- i like mangos, strawberries, pineapple but eat so little of them buying fresh is a waste, i buy one frozen bag of this stuff every 2-3 months. I will blend with milk from above and ice and have a frosty drink. ($10, usually two bags around $4 - 5 each, every few months)

Best of luck - you already see what the issue is so you are already half way there! Friend me and ask me any questions if you need help! You can do it - we will do it together :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I... just... can't...

You...I like you...
  • nidalee
    nidalee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm not proud of this at all, but I'm right there with you. 100%. Like, your post could be mine if I had the balls to talk about one of the most shameful things in my life on a public forum where people would probably say harsh things.

I am completely positive that I am where I am now because of a total lack of exercise and a ridiculous over-consumption of fast food. I could put away my entire calorie bank now in one meal of McDonald's. It got to the point where I, like you, wasn't even really enjoying it anymore. It was just that nothing I could make at home sounded as easy, as salty or as much "the same" as what I was used to eating. It didn't feel "right" to eat at home, even if I had something that flat-out sounded better and that I knew was better for me. And yes, I definitely can't afford the addiction - I was probably spending $400 to $500 eating out a month. (Bleh.)

Even though, through MFP, I am much more aware of what I'm eating - I'm still making mistakes. Lots more than I'd like to be. What's helped me, as sad as this probably is, has been to put reminders of my goals everywhere. In my apartment, in my truck, at work - subtle messages that only mean something to me (so I'm not broadcasting it). I even wrapped a post-it around my credit card. I also asked my S/O to firmly but kindly remind me of my goals when I'm about to make a bad choice and he's with me.

I'm also always willing to be a friend, especially to someone who's going through a similar struggle as me, so if you're the type of MFP'er who likes to add folks, send me a request and I'd be happy to accept! Good luck and be strong, you can do it! :)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    research whats in it....
    *shudders* 10 times a week? do you even have food in your house? even 'healthy alternatives' from fast food are crap. m Mcdonalds bread has the same chemicals as a yoga mat. their french fries have 14+ ingredients- all chemicals. watch Fat sick and nearly dead on netflix and other documentaries. You overcome one addiction, replacing it with fast food (in my opinion) is WORSE then smoking cigs haha. I quit eating out and eat organic & natural (usually one ingredient pure foods) but still smoke. The answer is simple, just don't allow yourself to pull into a fast food place. as an adult you are responsible for your actions, you had enough will power to quit smoking, now identify your problem here and fix it. take control of your own life and make alternatives to fast food.

track your foods before you eat if you have to go out. I would probably read all the ingredients first too so it would sicken me enough that I wouldn't want it anymore.

I guess I should have stated it's things like the McWrap, veggie burgers, and McD's "fruit" smoothies. So they're disguised as healthy, but yeah. Maybe I should start smoking again, might make it better. Ha! (That was sarcasm, folks.)

my point was not that you should start smoking again, more along the lines of that I know how friggen hard of an addiction smoking is to quit. i myself have not had the will power for 6 years and have always failed at it. you were a success, this proves how strong you are- how able you are to change your way of thinking and overcome addictions. i believe you can overcome this addiction too. did it help you to quit smoking by having all of the negative information about cigarettes (cancer causing etc.)? you knew they were bad for you, so you chose to stop. maybe learning how bad the fast food is would also help you stop. take things lightly girl, most of these people arn't considering their tone as they type and mean nothing bad about it. just like in real life you can't control what others say, but you can control how you take things personally and your own reaction. let the others express their rage and stupidity behind a screen- i guarantee their happiness in their lives reflect how they treat and talk to others. I can barely go on the forums now a days.

interesting article about the mcwrap http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/03/25/1770241/mcdonalds-mcwrap-healthy-food/

mcdonalds smoothies: "These companies are notorious for using artificial flavors instead of real fruit, and sometimes go as far as to use berry-shaped pieces of cellulose (woody plant matter... so pretty much cardboard) with artificial color instead of using real berries. McDonald's smoothies have sugar and fructose in addition to the sugar naturally contained in the fruit. All of that adds up to a drink that has more than 10 teaspoons worth of sugar. That's more than a can of Coke!"
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also have been struggling with this. I have bing eating disorder and there have been days where I will get fast food for breakfast, lunch, on the way home from work, and then come home and eat even more. I am broke too, I spend so much money on fast food it is really unbelievable.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I work at a McDonald's. We get a huge discount on food there....which i simply don't use. The only things i do eat from there are side salads...almost everything else makes me feel terrible even if i really wanted it in the first place. What helps me not eat that junk is 1. leaving all my money at home so i can't get anything 2. packing a lunch (if i happen to need one for the day) 3. remembering exactly how terrible i feel after i eat the food there 4. keeping my end goals in sight.

I am determined to lose weight and get healthier. You quit smoking, so you must have quite a lot of willpower. Put it to good use here..I've never been a smoker, but I have watched several people struggle for years with quitting smoking. It speaks volumes that you quit smoking. Researching what's in the food you're eating would help a lot, for sure. Those smoothies and wraps, ugh. Lol