When to weigh?

Options
Tomorrow is one week & I am already worried about getting on the scale. I am feeling good about my food choices, but what if it doesn't go down? I know it will be a big de-motivator for me.

Is there any reason to weigh every week? I've heard that weighing at the same time of day is better, but how often is good? Does anyone weigh less often than once a week?

Thanks

Replies

• amandal15
    amandal15 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem...but I'm a fanatic and do every week. Have you noticed a difference in how your clothes are fitting? Don't always pay attention to the scale. :) Good luck...

Oh...I weigh in the mornings first thing.
  • katastic
    Options
    I weigh every morning (after I use the restroom) first thing.
  • nll002
    nll002 Posts: 18
    Options
    One of my girlfriends is on weight watchers and only weighs in once a month (I'm crazy about tracking my weight loss, so I'm on the scale every morning!). I think when you are starting out, it is ok to to do it every week or 2. Don't get discouraged though - when I first started, I gained 5lbs but lost 3 inches in my waist in the first month. Sometimes it takes longer for the scale to reflect what you're doing (muscle weighs more than fat, so you may be losing fat but gaining muscle!).
    Good Luck!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I weight first thing in the morning, same day each week.
    If I'm not seeing much of a results over a few weeks though it can be kind of disappointing so I'll work extra hard and leave it like a month before my next weigh in. Seeing the bigger difference can be extremely motivating and alot better than a series of really small movements.
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in when my trainer asks me to. It works out to be about every 2-3 weeks. I am like you, if they numbers don't go down I get discouraged.
  • marieisthecool
    marieisthecool Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I wake up, right after I go to the bathroom. that's the lowest I'll weigh all day so it makes me feel better. most people will say it's not good to weigh yourself every day because your weight fluctuates, but I find that seeing the number keeps me from thinking I'm doing better than I am
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    I usually weigh myself in the morning, like the majority on here. But, don't always pay attention to the numbers. If you're working out, you're gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so for every lb of fat you lose, you might gain 2 lbs of muscle... So definitely pay more attention to how your clothes are fitting as opposed to the number on the scale.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Actually muscle & fat weigh the same, but muscle is denser than fat and therefore 1 lb of muscle takes up "less room" (e.g. is smaller) than 1 lb of fat.

A trainer once told me that women do not naturally gain a lot of muscle weight and have to train quite a lot to gain any substantial weight from muscle. I don't know if that is true, but if you look at women body builders they can get huge but probably not all from strength training, and they work out for hours every day.

I weigh myself once a week, at about the same time in the morning. I think if you're in this for the long haul you'll drive yourself crazy weighing yourself every day and obsessing about the number on the scale.

Good luck to you!!
  • imustdecrease
    Options
    I am really doing well eating on plan and exercising everyday. The way womens weight fluctuate I would be de-motivated seeing little change or even seeing no change so I am weighing in every 5 weeks. I just finished my third week and there is a difference in my clothing also I did measure myself today and lost a couple of inches already on my waist and hips.
  • bigsal911
    Options
    I weigh myself daily just to see. Usually it's down by a few tenths but I don't let it get me down if it's not. I look at numbers not going down as even more reason to stick to it instead of giving up. YMMV.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Things get out of control if I don't keep track of my weight every day. I only record it on here once a week though.
  • jmcniel
    jmcniel Posts: 65
    Options
    The weight that I record on MFP is always at the first of the month, but I do check about mid-month to see how I am doing.

I used to check once a week, but at times I wouldn't see a change and I would quit. I have found that counting it once a month and checking in the middle of the month has helped me work harder to make sure that I reach the monthly goals I have set.

Of course there is not a correct method as we need to go with what works best for the individual.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I do every 2-4 weeks.
  • nora62662
    Options
    If u have'nt loss dont give up so many people do. When you start to workout u have to remerber you are buliding muscle. They say u should wait two weeks befor u look.
  • SewLisa
    SewLisa Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice!

The universe provided the solution by overloading me with work the past few days so I didn't have time to obsess about weighing.

I decided I would let it go a couple of weeks and focus on creating some healthy habits. I will weigh in a week or two when I don't feel like I am struggling with every bite I do or don't put in my mouth.
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with weighing myself. I do it every day.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    I usually weigh first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up - but only record on MFP once a week - It motivates me to work harder - :flowerforyou:
  • Weeble91
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning too...easy to see when i start getting off track. the trick is not to panic when the number goes up but to do something about it :)
  • molina76853
    Options
    I used to weigh every Tuesday morning, but this week I made the decision to only weigh on the 1st and 15th of every month. I figured that by only weighing twice a month, I won't be so obsessed with the weight loss portion but be able to focus more on the healthy lifestyle changes.
  • denise309
    Options
    I too am struggling with this...I got on the scale last night and was SO DISCOURAGED that my starting weight was 10lbs higher than I thought it was...but I will officially weigh in on Monday am and then I think I will do it one month later...if I dont lose I will alos be SUPER discouraged :( I guess we all have to do what works for us

good luck