How in the Heck???

Options
BetesBitch
BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
How in the heck did my frozen chicken breast go from a 250g piece of meat to a 150g piece of meat once bbqed??? Does chicken really drip that much juice/fat off on the bbq???

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    There's not that much fat in a skinless chicken breast. However, it may have been injected with a solution of salt water or broth, a.k.a. "plumped":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumping
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    was it frozen chicken breast? every time I cook frozen it always shrinks!!!!!!!!!
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    was it frozen chicken breast? every time I cook frozen it always shrinks!!!!!!!!!
    Yes it was frozen and strange texture it seems while cooking. No where close to what fresh boneless skinless is like.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the question here is but keep in mind the nutrition facts on things like meat are the macros for the meat PRIOR to cooking. So if you're weighing chicken, log the frozen weight.

Same thing applies to pastas and other things that require cooking. The label lists uncooked portions/weights/nutrients
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think those frozen bagged ones are "plumped" to push up the weight, then it loses that moisture during cooking. Dodgy!
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I'm not sure what the question here is but keep in mind the nutrition facts on things like meat are the macros for the meat PRIOR to cooking. So if you're weighing chicken, log the frozen weight.

Same thing applies to pastas and other things that require cooking. The label lists uncooked portions/weights/nutrients

If this is the case then OMG im pissed! gotta do more work to log food and be accurate!
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    But ya, this chicken is definitely plumped! Something that I DONT wanna be....
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

^^This!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

^^This!

I do not agree with this at all esp with "frozen" meat.

Chicken specifically is injected with a saline solution. When cooked all that leaves.

To the OP log it as cooked just choose the appropriate cooking method. Even the USDA website allows for that with correct entries.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

^^This!

I do not agree with this at all esp with "frozen" meat.

Chicken specifically is injected with a saline solution. When cooked all that leaves.

To the OP log it as cooked just choose the appropriate cooking method. Even the USDA website allows for that with correct entries.
    Thanks! That is what I chose to do - more calories left over this way. lol