Question for runners???

Options
2»

Replies

• angeljan1904
    angeljan1904 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's advice. I will definitely be going this week to get properly fitted for shoes. I don't usually ever stretch before or after. I have usually just warmed up and cooled down(start slow and end slow).so I will begin stretching also. I will also look into strengthening exercises for my shins. Not sure what foam rollers are, but I will look into it. Thank you again.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in addition to what others have mentioned about proper shoes for your gair and checking your form, you might also want to look into getting compression sleeves for your lower legs. when you first start running you'll start to feel muscles in your lower legs (and feet) you knew you had :laugh: i found the compression sleeves post runs really helped with healing the first month or so after i got back to running
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The Galloway method will help too.

Its worth highlighting that if the problem is shin splints then using Galloway method only addresses the symptom, not the underlying problem and potentially exacerbates it as a result.

I'm just curious, since I used this method to train for, and run, my half a week ago with no additional problems how it exacerbates shin splints? I have had no further issues with them since I took the month off and intend to continue training in this fashion but my preference is to continue avoiding shin issues...

You'll note that my comment was in response to the fairly uncritical you have shin splints, try Galloway post upthread. From the description at that point, and even with the clarification, it's not clear whether the problem is shin splints or not. Even if it was Galloway, per se, isn't treating the causes of the pain, it alleviates the pain by periodising the loads, and easing the stress for a short period. That short period isn't really enough to actually recover from the micro-fractures that are causing the pain.

The treatments for shin splints are several, you've identified several in your post above, and as you point out you've used these in parallel with Galloway with some success. Would you have completed at a faster pace had you just run the whole thing? No way to know unless you now train for a continuous run approach. As a method Galloway has merits, but in isolation it's not going to deal with shin splints. If the originator is suffering shin splints and tries Galloway she's essentially just trying to run through the problem. Doing that risks exacerbating the problem. Having been in a situation myself where shin splints left me in enough pain that I had to use sticks to walk, I wouldn't advocate anyone try to run through the condition.

I'd note that some of the exercises that you suggest are actually aimed at plantar fasciitis rather than shin splints, but regardless they're worth doing for a new runner as they'll help avoid PF as well.

I think we agree more than we disagree. The exercises and the run - walk method came at the suggestion of a physical therapist but that's besides the point.

I know some people have had luck running through the shin splints-- to me that sounds like a bad idea unless one is interested in progressing to stress fractures. Why I also suggested rest.

I think breaking up her runs, which the OP is already doing, will serve to decrease the overall running load she is experiencing and, if it is not shin splints, let her muscles get used to what she is asking them to do... which if it's just been 2 months, everything is still new.

Would I have been faster straight running? I doubt it. My time was 23 minutes faster than my goal was to begin with. My fastest mile pace ever is about 7:00 straight running. I'm at about 8:15 now with the run breaks. Unfortunately, I may be rapidly approaching my body's personal limit. Which is a giant bummer.

ETA: don't feel like you need to qualify your runs. "I only do 2.5 miles though. I take walk breaks..." it sounds like you have done awesome in the last two months!:flowerforyou:
  • goodmorningbill
    goodmorningbill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One more quick thought, and this is just from my experience as a new runner (last year). I found that the surface I run on makes a difference. I got that "needles in the shin" thing after every time I ran on sidewalks. Switching to asphalt (where it's safe) minimized it or took it away completely. Additionally, I got a good pair of properly fitted Asics and paid attention to form. All of it helped.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OP- I'm not savvy enough to link to another post. Do a search for "so you want to be a runner." Go to page one and read what ThickMcRunFast posted as the thread starter.