Exercise for beginners

Options
I am very out of shape and have tried to do a 30 min workout routine but it's too advanced for me and there are too many squats. Midway through my legs tried giving out several times and for the rest of the day I could barely walk. I know that's good to a certain point but I was frustrated bc I could not complete the whole workout thus leaving me feeling unaccomplished. Also my ankles became a problem pretty early into it. And I kinda twisted my knee during the lunges. I know lunges and squats are great but I could sure use any suggestions for a beginners workout. I just had a c-section 4 months ago so that major surgery has left my body at level 1.

Thank you so much for any help. I would love to try out a 30 min workout this morning.

Replies

• JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    ummm. Brisk walking with a heart rate monitor so that you can keep yourself "in the zone" was pretty effective for me.

When I first started exercising I was riding my bike and walking lots. Then I transitioned into Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and injured myself after only a couple weeks. :huh:

I just restarted the Shred and this time round (5 months later) its actually doable.
  • asuegulley
    asuegulley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't give up you do not have to do the entire workout, Do what you can do of it. Quit when you are tired. I have had two c-sections and even a hystorectomy last year. Don't over do it. after my surgeries All i did was walk, most everything else hurt. but when I did work out I did things slow, just start with working out 10 mins and then gradually work up to more, If you life weights don't over lift. Do you have a health ryder. that was easy. treadmill or stationary bike. Squats are okay but don't over do it.. Good luck
  • jacj46
    jacj46 Posts: 46
    Options
    Don't start with to much ... I had to start very slow (had both knees replaced) ... still today I only do the treadmill ... but I can do it more often and a few minutes longer ... just start moving ... it will all come together .. good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Great job for trying to get back in shape. Lunges and squats are really hard if you are not used to them. When I first started on here in 2009 I could barely do them. I started by just going for walks everyday. I started at 0.5 miles and increased from there. I pushed a stroller and when my little one got big enough I put her in a backpack and carried her in that for some extra weight.

From walking you can work up to doing some hiking. I thinking lunges and squats are still good and try them in small number. I would also recommend getting a beginner level yoga or pilates DVD. It will help a lot with balance, poster and getting your core strength back to stabilize your muscles.

Good Luck.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The absolute best workout for beginners, IMHO is walking. If you have access to a pool, swimming or water aerobics (many community centers offer this) is also excellent.

Here's a link to a beginning weights workout (if you don't have weights, a couple of soup cans or water bottles will add a bit of suitable-for-a-beginner resistance):

http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-1

My advice would be to do one set of each exercise (from the full-body list at the top), and build up gradually, adding more sets as you progress. For squats//lunges, do not use weights. Do that for however long it takes, and then walk the rest of the time. If you click on the red exercise names, it should go to a demo video of the move. Or, you can google the name, and you'll be sure to find some youtube or other demos. Go slowly and gently at first.

I'm happy to offer other suggestions/answer other questions you have. HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • SweetOrganics
    SweetOrganics Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Wii Fit & it's great because I was able to do easier exercises in the beginning. It lets you know how many calories you've burned in the session so it's really easy for me to increase that every day which has become easier.
    If you don't have a Wii Fit, try doing less reps & breaking your working into 2 15 mins sessions for a few days, adding an extra rep or min each day until you are able to do 30 mins at one time. There is no reason to be straining your body, working slowly towards your goal will strengthen your body without injuring it or causing you to feel frustrated.
    I'm just getting started after years of not exercising due to severe autoimmune issues so I completely understand.
  • nashdude
    nashdude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may seem funny, but one of the easiest ways I've found to exercise is with the Wii Fit. My wife and I get on there, and our competitive natures kick in, and before we realize it, we've been at it for an hour! And yes, Wii Fit can make you sweat---especially if you're a tubbo like yours truly hehe

The best kind of exercise you can do is the one that you enjoy doing. It doesn't have to be regimented or anything like that, so long as you get things moving. As you get more active, you can add a static routine into the mix, but ANY activity is good to start off with. Pick something that'll be fun for you, and don't do it so often or strenuously that you burn out on it. It's better to sit one out than to get sick of doing it and quit altogether.

EDIT: LOL what she said :)
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    it's tough to get started when you haven't exercised regularly. It's nearly impossible to turn on any workout video and expect to get through, so it's kind of like a self-defeating prophecy. You want to get started, so you gather up the guts to push play, then feel miserable when you can't make it throught the first 10 minutes. Then we all kind of say to our selves "why bother". As an exercise beginner my suggestion to you is, "just keep moving". Go outside and take a daily walk. Start with a simple goal, like around the block, or to the next stop sign. Make it acheivable, then the next day go a little bit farther, until you can slowly build a little endurance. I decided to join a gym about 2 years ago. The first day I got on the treadmill I walked not far at all and my heart rate was in the unhealthy 170's. I thought to myself, certainly I am capable of getting on a treadmill and walking. Well, it didn't take me long to realize that I had to re-evaluate what I was capable of doing. Take baby steps, just keep doing it. Before you know it you will be like me. This past October I participated in the Susan G Komen 3-day walk and walked 60 miles in 3-days. You can do it!!
  • michellebellamy
    michellebellamy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might try Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds". It's a lot less stressful. If you get a 4 mile dvd, I believe you can start with one mile and work your way up. Richard Simmons (kooky as he is) has some "Sweatin' to the Oldies" dvds that are geared toward beginners as well. I also heard one time to just put on your walking shoes and walk out your front door. Go 15 minutes and turn around. You can increase it each week. It sounds like you're on the right track! The most important things are to keep moving and don't give up. It's hard when you've just had a baby and your body is all out of whack. Combine that with the lack of sleep and it's tough! Good luck! I hope you have lots of success.
  • Aquamarine7
    Options
    Other than running around in my yard I have no way to 'go walking' at this time. Vehicle issues and this neighborhood isn't all that great (putting it nicely). But we do have 5 acres so I could run around in it. Maybe I'll just do that for today but I would still like something I could do indoors. It rains here a lot. And some days are too cold for me to take baby outside with me.

Thanx for the responses.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I started walking slowly on a treadmill in 2008 at about a 3 mph pace when I was around 240 lbs, and this morning I easily completed a 60 minute workout at a 4-5 mph pace -- which to me is pretty good! I think when I first started exercising I only completed about 15 or 20 minutes at a time. From my experience, simply walking is a wonderful start and you can advance at your own pace. Sure, it's good to push yourself, but I'm also a big believer in listening to your body.

My suggestion, like many others on this thread, is to just start walking at a comfortable pace.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Other than running around in my yard I have no way to 'go walking' at this time. Vehicle issues and this neighborhood isn't all that great (putting it nicely). But we do have 5 acres so I could run around in it. Maybe I'll just do that for today but I would still like something I could do indoors. It rains here a lot. And some days are too cold for me to take baby outside with me.

Thanx for the responses.

There is a series of videos called "walk away the pounds" that works indoors. I think Leslie Sansone is the woman in them. Very popular.
  • Aquamarine7
    Options

Thanx for the responses.

There is a series of videos called "walk away the pounds" that works indoors. I think Leslie Sansone is the woman in them. Very popular.

Thank you so much for the link and I will look for the series you speak of. :flowerforyou:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Leslie's 5 mile walk is great. Start off at one mile and work your way up. I started with Leslie, still do her tapes and eventually joined the gym where I work out with weights and do the treadmill. Since I have bad knees I can't do the stair stepper or elliptical but it gets easier and easier. I bike all spring and summer. Just move a little more each day, it gets easier and you actually will enjoy it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am very out of shape and have tried to do a 30 min workout routine but it's too advanced for me and there are too many squats. Midway through my legs tried giving out several times and for the rest of the day I could barely walk. I know that's good to a certain point but I was frustrated bc I could not complete the whole workout thus leaving me feeling unaccomplished. Also my ankles became a problem pretty early into it. And I kinda twisted my knee during the lunges. I know lunges and squats are great but I could sure use any suggestions for a beginners workout. I just had a c-section 4 months ago so that major surgery has left my body at level 1.

Thank you so much for any help. I would love to try out a 30 min workout this morning.

It took me about 6 months to realize I do not HAVE to do each move the video has in it. After I allowed myself to move at my own pace, I was no longer intimidated by a work out video.............and actually looked forward to seeing what I could do more of the next time.

My new motto became "There is no can't, just modify!!"

I spent so many times staring at the beginning of a video, afraid to hit the start button because I knew I had a hour and just said I cant.

You can do this in little steps. When I first started my change 2.5 yrs ago I walked to the stop sign!!

Good luck!
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to exercising in general, as I have weak knees so I never got into it. Well, I just started on Sunday (1/2/2011) now that we have a new fitness center in our apartment complex. I'm taking baby steps, though. I would love to walk outside, but I live in Wisconsin and right now, the ice and snow make it too dangerous and cold for any significant amount of walking (at least for beginners that aren't used to anything, let along the tundra).

The elliptical has been my focus. I do 30 minutes every day, if I can, and I choose a different pre-set program each time just to find out what works best for me. I did take one day off this week. What I like about it is It doesn't hurt my knees at all, and i can already feel my legs getting stronger. I also plan to start using the weight system for both legs and arms. Once I build up a little more strength in my legs, I will move on to more variety.

After a few weeks of this, and gradually increasing the time and resistance, I am going to follow Zuzana on Bodyrock.tv. She has some great beginner videos and is truly an inspiration to tackle the next steps. Because Bodyrock is set up like a blog as well, she basically puts her life on there ... recipes, clothing, etc, so I'll be taking away some other food pointers as well.

Hope that helps, and I know you will find something that works for you!

-Angie
  • Aquamarine7
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I think I am going to get the Leslie Sansone workout bc it seems like a very good place to start and the kiddos will enjoy it too!

I for that I was going to see if I could find some stuff on HULU or some other online channel (we don't have cable). Thanks for reminding me Sunset :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I think I am going to get the Leslie Sansone workout bc it seems like a very good place to start and the kiddos will enjoy it too!

I for that I was going to see if I could find some stuff on HULU or some other online channel (we don't have cable). Thanks for reminding me Sunset :)

I bought a set of her vids at Walmart for under 20 bux. They came with stretch bands too which are way cool to start out with some toneing.