Almost 30 pounds down, but you can't tell!

Options
So the number on the scale is obviously going down, but other than that I really can't tell a difference. I've lost nearly 30 pounds, and yet I am still wearing the same size clothing (it's admittedly a little looser), and no one can really tell I have lost weight, myself included. I started out at 260 this time around so I started out about 30 pounds heavier this time around then the last time I tried to lose weight (back in 2011) I was getting tons of recognition and compliments by the time I lost 30 pounds last time, but this time around...nothing. Is it because I started out with more to lose? Those of you who have lost weight, if you started out around my starting weight, how long was it before people started to notice?

Replies

• hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was saying a similar thing a while ago to a colleague, who pointed out that often before we lose weight we have squeezed into our current clothes way past there actual size, so initially the weight lost just makes them fit then we lose much more before getting to needing the next size lower. After that, it seems to be far quicker.

I also read somewhere that not close friends and other people don't tend to notice weight loss until month 3 and even then people often feel uncomfortable mentioning it. My husband said 2 colleagues commented about his weight loss, and said they hadn't like to ask in case it "wasn't intentionally lost". Somebody asked me if I had lost weight due to changing jobs and having additional stress, I really wish that's how I went when stressed (rather than the complete opposite).

People noticed mine when at month 3 and about 30ish lbs, I came back after a 2 week break, I think it was not seeing me and also wearing smaller clothes.

Well done btw
  • tripamy
    tripamy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you taller? I'm 5'8", and I have to lose 20 lbs before I even think about going down a size. Also, I would bet people are noticing some, but I know I wouldn't say anything for fear of offending.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It can take some time before you really notice your weight loss. 30 Pounds is a lot of weight to lose and you should be proud. I have lost 130 pounds so far and it was only around 75 pounds down that I even started to notice real changes on my body. To you the change is gradual so you get used to it over time. I would take a picture without a shirt on every 6 months and put them side by side and you will start to see the difference.

Just remember that every single pound you lose make the next pound you lose more noticeable, that is just plain old fashioned math awesomeness to think about.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Are you taking body measurements?

I think it's super helpful, especially if you don't feel like anything is changing. My second round of measurements showed that I lost 2 inches in my neck - I had no idea that was even a place I would lose weight.

Also, my waist is shrinking, but my hips aren't so much. So most of my clothes fit the same, but my body is changing without a doubt.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Go shopping and see if you fit into a smaller size. When I lost weight (the first time), it took about 25 lbs. before I dropped a size and people started noticing.

Also, in my efforts to "hide" my weight, I tend to wear looser fitting clothing. My sister and my husband both tell me that I look thinner when I wear tighter clothes. So even though I get self conscious about my stomach showing in a tighter shirt, they say I actually look better.
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Go shopping and see if you fit into a smaller size. When I lost weight (the first time), it took about 25 lbs. before I dropped a size and people started noticing.

Also, in my efforts to "hide" my weight, I tend to wear looser fitting clothing. My sister and my husband both tell me that I look thinner when I wear tighter clothes. So even though I get self conscious about my stomach showing in a tighter shirt, they say I actually look better.
    Same. I didn't start getting comments on my loss until I started wearing tighter clothing, especially items that used to be very unflattering.
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs and don't feel you can tell - but work colleagues don't really look that closely anyway! It's also supposed to be more difficult to notice things when you see someone every day, as they've seen you shrinking gradually.
  • deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is pretty hard to see in yourself- our brains are so used to seeing our bodies a certain way, it can be really hard to notice a significant difference, even in side-by-side picture comparisons. But like others have said, take measurements! I honestly can't tell a difference in how I look, and no one except my mom has said anything (but she doesn't really count, since she's my mom.)

But! My waist has shrunk by over two inches. So even if you don't see it, your body is changing.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    measurements help a lot - weight loss also equal inches lost - I sometimes believe inches are a better measure than pounds...

as for the clothes, have patience... I now have to wear a belt to keep jeans up that I couldn't fasten the top button on at Christmas time... :flowerforyou:
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You should start to see the changes soon, so keep going and don't give up! You are doing great! I'd say I started noticing the changes a bit around that 25- 30lb mark but really more so after 40lbs. I started out slightly higher than you.

And remember that you don't lose weight evenly around your body. Where one person may lose a lot around the hips, another may lose more from their thighs. For quite some time, my shirts got really baggy around the middle but I wasn't able to go down a size yet because my upper arms were (and still are) huge, so the sleeves wouldn't fit.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    I didn't notice a difference, and neither did anyone around me until I got below 190.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump for later read
  • newb01
    newb01 Posts: 22
    Options
    People say that you notice the weight first, then close relatives after about a month and then co-workers and others about 3 months later.

I know when I see others loosing weight...its not something I really notice until the loose a TON of weight. I just have my head down trying to get done what I need to get done every day so am not very observant about those kinds of things. When I say a ton I mean 50 pounds plus.

Keep it up...after all this is really for you and not for them. The grats are nice but then you start to attract the nay sayers and the saboteurs too.

Lol...I want to kill those people that absolutely know I am trying to loose weight and then drop off cake or donuts at my desk without me asking trying to be "nice". Those same people never brought me jack when I was not trying to loose.... I wonder if they KNOW what they are doing or its unintentional...or is it intentional to make themself feel better?

Anyway...do this for you. The kudos will come but that isn't why you are doing it anyway :)
  • DisneyBecca
    Options
    I started around the same weight and no one noticed until I hit 35 pounds. Even at 47 pounds lost, I still cannot see it in myself. The most motivating thing for me is having a pair of pants that are too small in my closet. I try them on periodically to watch them get closer to fitting. Once they fit, I get an even smaller pair to start trying on. This allows me to "see" my progress even when the mirror looks the same to me.
  • amberruczko
    amberruczko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started out around 250. No one noticed when I was 230, 220, 210... Now that I'm 203, people close to me have started noticing.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would say that you couldn't even notice that I'd lost anything until I was down about 50 lbs, after that the changes were much more noticeable. Unfortunately when you have 100+ to lose it takes bigger numbers for people to notice it. Just keep doing what you're doing, don't get discouraged. It helps to see the changes when you do a side by side picture, I had no clue how far I've come until I saw the photo evidence.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started out @230. At -30 lbs I was wearing the same size. No one noticed until I lost about 40 lbs and got new clothes. Don't feel sad, keep on going and soon people will notice.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the more weight I have to lose, the longer it takes anyone to notice. When I was thinner and lost 15 pounds, I got compliments right away! Last year I lost 30 pounds and almost no one noticed, except my very close family members. Unfortunately I gained it back and had to start over again. I would say for me personally, people in general don't start to notice until 30 -40 pounds lost. Or if they do notice, no one says anything!