Look thinner, but not losing much weight or inches

Options
For some background I HAVE lost weight over several years, not a ton, approximately 20 to 30 lbs. I have been working out this entire time and adjusting, changing up workouts and most recently including a lot more weight lifting and personal training. Mind you I did not take measurements way back in the beginning but I found some old pix and I definitely look way better and probably not nearly the weight that I am although by the scale I could definitely need to lose 100 lbs more. I look way smaller than people who weigh 50 lbs less than me so I understand from maybe 3 years ago how I would look really different, but....

Here is the thing. In the past year I technically have gained 6 lbs. I probably gained about 12 when I got some cortisone injections in my foot, then lost 6 of it before my annual physical at which time I was +6 lbs from last year. I did take my measurements a few times in the last year and they don't seem any different. I was keeping a log on my phone and it had to be reset and I lost everything :sad:

Anyway how on earth can people who haven't seen me in just a few months go crazy on how much weight I have "lost" when I haven't lost any weight or inches? Even people who see me every day try to analyze how I look thinner than a year ago with no real measureable changes. Why it is so hard for me to lose is a whole different thing. The friend I work out with regularly has lost 100 lbs while I only went down 10 or 15 during that same time period. All of my "tips" work for her lol.

Replies

• KimberleyD2
    Options
    A lot of the time to lose weight you really have to watch what you r eating, & finding a great program that works for you! What kind of food are you eating & what kind of workout r u doing?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Anyway how on earth can people who haven't seen me in just a few months go crazy on how much weight I have "lost" when I haven't lost any weight or inches? Even people who see me every day try to analyze how I look thinner than a year ago with no real measureable changes.

I get kind of the same thing. I've lost a whopping 15 lbs in about 9 months. I'm still overweight by a good 15 lbs and as I'm an apple carry most of that in my belly (so I'm not hiding it anywhere). Over the last 5 months I haven't really lost any weight (maybe up two? hard to tell). And yeah I get the same thing from all my coworkers who see me every day. They go "oh you're disappearing!" I want to cry and complain that I haven't lost ANY weight in 4-5 months but I just don't say anything. I have taken measurements and though I've lost a good amount of inches, it just doesn't even feel real to me. I think I feel fatter than I felt 6 months ago. Maybe because I expected to have lost a few more pounds by this time.

So I don't know what to say. All I can guess is people remember the you of a long time ago? People I see every day ask me if I'm losing weight etc. I think they forget what you look like day to day. Or you wear a flattering ouftit that day and they are just making conversation. Needless to say I don't like getting compliments on my weight loss when it's been a slow crawl for so long now :blushing: , so I am sympathetic
  • tmitchellh
    tmitchellh Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I get kind of the same thing. I've lost a whopping 15 lbs in about 9 months.

Its better than gaining! I just weighed myself at the gym and gained 7 lbs since last week!!! I know its probably bloating so I'm not changing my weight on here, but so aggravating. When you need to lose a lot its supposed to fall off at first! I have never had so much trouble losing weight in my life and never had this much to lose, blah!
  • hkb85
    hkb85 Posts: 37
    Options
    Maybe you look healthier?
    And people are just thinking its because youve lost weight even if you havent
  • tmitchellh
    tmitchellh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time to lose weight you really have to watch what you r eating, & finding a great program that works for you! What kind of food are you eating & what kind of workout r u doing?

Well eating wise I usually eat a decent lunch which varies. I work in a hospital which is trying to go healthy so they offer stuff like a whole wheat pizzetta with tomatoes and mozzarella, grilled salmon, salad bar, etc. I love vegetables, fish, and whole wheat type things so it is not an issue of liking healthy things.

I work out after work and then eat again after that and usually the bulk of that meal is vegetables. Lately its been massive amounts of Brussels sprouts lol. I am allotted 1490 calories on here and usually stay within that and if I go over one day its usually not by a great deal or I am under another day. My worst fault is convenience foods like lean cuisines and the like. I never have time to grocery shop plus I hate it. I know I should ideally not eat anything processed but that is out of the question at leat for now.

NOTE: I have dieted all my life here and there. Suddenly about 10 years ago I began gaining weight and just could not stop. Pretty sure nothing medical is causing it, have had the obvious tests and again I am in the medical field so I am aware of issues that could cause weight gain. Since this happened is when I have had so much trouble losing. The only way I seem to be able to lose is to REALLY restrict way lower than advisable. If I eat my suggested amount of calories I don't really lose and I definitely gain if I follow all that BMR advice and don't go below that which is way over my 1490.

Lastly the working out. I really do believe in lifting weights and try to do heavy weights along with strength training with trainer (squats with kettle balls and the like) mixed in with cardio, and exercise classes from zumba, to kickboxing to other specialized classes. Usually I go 3 to 4 times a week. Occasionally play racquetball or something fun when I am sick of the whole thing.

I am not perfect. I have a bad day. I will eat a cupcake or something I'm craving. I try to keep it to the weekends and not go nuts lol. All I can say is at least I'm better off than I was a few years ago!

:smile:
  • auntmandi
    auntmandi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your program sounds great! However I see a couple of red flags in what you are eating.

If you really want to change, you need to change what you are doing, along with eating.

Do not get hungry. Plan for the lulls with your purse - with fresh veggies, chewing gum, even beef jerky. Cans of tuna save my life. Lettuce for breakfast is not a crime.

A cupcake and flour (pizza) set off a cascade in your system that will metabolize quickly as sugar, and excess gets adsorbed as fat. There is no such thing as half a pizza slice or a quarter muffin, so the best thing to do is to focus in on reduced sugar/flour - or if you are like me - eliminate it altogether.

It is second only to quitting smoking, and it takes a lot of planning, but results are very fast.

I track my carbs here. As a recovered alcoholic I crave sugar, and sit up at night looking at slices of cherry pie on the internet, not to mention nanaimo bars. It's working! ;)
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I track my carbs here. As a recovered alcoholic I crave sugar, and sit up at night looking at slices of cherry pie on the internet, not to mention nanaimo bars. It's working! ;)

Haha, I do this all the time. Pintrest can suck you in with so many delicious food pics! I don't know if everyone could handle it, but for me I can almost taste it to the point where even that is satisfying!
  • auntmandi
    auntmandi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i will be thinking of you when I get the urge to cram an entire stawberry pie in my mouth! ;) if she can do it, so can this old drunk! ;)
  • RiniSixxx
    RiniSixxx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had the same comments about looking thinner as well but no change in inches or number on the scale and it was the same attire i wear daily. It is a confidence boost though and people are sweet to take notice of your efforts.