I'm 18 days in and feeling disappointed..

Options
I know 18 days isn't enough to see great results but I really thought I would see more than a 5 pound drop and a three pound gain.. I have lost inches but being 5'1 and 180 pounds I thought I would see a significant weight loss considering I am always in range or lower than my caloric goal... Any tips?

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring EVERYTHING you eat. It truly makes a difference. Drink your water. I am far from being an expert but I hope this little bit helps. Feel free to add me.

Cindy
  • willieb2
    willieb2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Are you exercising at all with the calorie counting?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Due to water, weight will normally fluctuate. Don't just rely on the scale as the "truth" to overall weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It's been 18 days. Less than 3 weeks.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is great for 3 weeks!
  • samanthaannee2014
    samanthaannee2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been moderately working out 3-5 times per week, always drink my water, I do measure and count my food
    In total I have lost 1.5 off my hips and 1.5 off my waist but if I'm noticing inches dropping shouldn't the weight be dropping too?
    It's so discouraging... Thank god I hold my weight well
  • samanthaannee2014
    samanthaannee2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Three pounds of water weight?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been moderately working out 3-5 times per week, always drink my water, I do measure and count my food
    In total I have lost 1.5 off my hips and 1.5 off my waist but if I'm noticing inches dropping shouldn't the weight be dropping too?
    It's so discouraging... Thank god I hold my weight well
    ...?

"Is it really worth it if I look better, but that damn scale tells me I'm not progressing fast enough?"
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yep, could be more with TOM.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's been 18 days. Less than 3 weeks.

^^^ This. Don't get impatient. You didn't gain it all in 18 days, so don't expect to lose it all in 18 days either. Work the program and let the program work for you.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You didn't get to the weight you are unhappy with in 18 days.
    You wont get to a weight you are happy with in 18 days.
    Just keep going.
    Then. Just keep going.
  • HaelaBaer
    HaelaBaer Posts: 44
    Options
    This is weird I know but for me, I lost inches fast, then the weight is slower. Someone told me to limit sodium. They said maybe my body is slowly 'absorbing the excess skin'. I dunno, but you're doing great. Keep it up. :)
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You have a reasonable weight loss rate, don't worry about weight fluctuations, I usually gain 2 kg (4 lbs) before my period starts then drop them off the week after, so basically my weight loss cycle is 3 weeks not a whole month.

every person has her own physiological norm, just be efficient in counting your calories, and wait until a whole month passes so you observe your body's "pattern".
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    In my 1st 18 days I had the same thing happening, except WITHOUT the loss. All gains from starting to exercise. If I had given up I wouldnt be here today 5 months later and down 33 pounds.
    Time will pass anyway, weight will fluctuate, but if you are at eating at a deficit, you will lose. Just be patient.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    They said maybe my body is slowly 'absorbing the excess skin'. I dunno,

"Absorbing" skin? lol .. this is very odd explanation from your friends, since skin does't dissolve, it just shrinks because it is elastic.
  • jenna40_2go
    jenna40_2go Posts: 101
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'2" I'm currently at 158 I lost just over 8 lbs in 35 days. I didn't put the weight on in a month and I'm not going to lose it in a month. Please be patient. The results will show themselves. I weigh myself only weekly and measure on the same day.Saturday morning I weigh and measure and as long as I see something I'm happy. Nothing happens over night and this isn't a sprint to get healthy it's a lifestyle change. Just keep at it. TOM water and environment part a big part of that nasty scale so if you have lost 3 inches total in 3 weeks then pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself on staying with it. If it helps increase cardio to 5 days and try to get in weight training 2-3 says. You don't want muscle loss. Keep up the great work! Feel free to add me!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a food scale, get one. Weigh all food for best accuracy.

If you don't have a scale that measures half pounds or better, get one. Weigh daily, right after waking and using the bathroom, but before eating, drinking, or doing any form of exercise. When/If you do cardio, make sure you weigh before and after. Whatever that difference is, drink it back in water.

If you don't have a body fat measurement device (calipers or bio-electrical impedance), get one. Check your stats once a week, in the morning, when you get up, right after doing your business, but before eating/drinking/exercising.

If you don't have a tape measure, get one. Once a month, take measurements of neck, bust, waist, hips, thigh, wrist, arms. That may be overkill, so pick the ones that suit you.

For your workouts, if you dont have a HRM, get one.

For all the "get" stuff above, I recognize money is always tight for everyone. From a priority standpoint, I'd recommend a food scale ($10-20), then the BF measure ($30-40 for bio impedance, while cheap calipers are about $5), then an HRM (varies dramatically depending on passive/active, and if paired with other devices. if you run/bike/swim, I'd recommend a garmin)

Realize that TOM affects bloating / water weight and will temporarily add weight for a few days. This goes away on its own. If you weigh daily, you'll see this and know that you can safely ignore it.

Realize that increased strength will have you weighing more, while getting smaller. This is actually desirable. This is where having a body fat scale comes in handy as a secondary measure. Muscle is more preferred then fat because your body can eat muscle to repair itself if you get injured. It can't really do the same with fat.

Realize that losses take time. Gains didn't happen over night, so don't expect immediate losses either. Besides, if you lose weight too fast, and don't properly hydrate, there's a higher likelihood of having excess skin hanging around, which isn't nearly as attractive in the nude as being obese.

Good luck.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've started over-estimating calories and underestimating exercise. FINALLY seeing some actual improvement (and then I go on vacation). Keep at it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Yep, could be more with TOM.

Yep - shark week I gain around 5 pounds. Then it drops right back off. Don't sweat it.

You're doing just fine. Keep eating well, staying active.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    3 lbs of water weight - EASY! There are days when I drink all the fluids and but hardly visit the loo. Then there are days when I see the potty side of every building. 8 cups of water is 64 oz. Way more than you really need in a day.