Gastric Bypass Advice/Info

Options
My Dr has recommended me for gastric bypass. I am very interested in it and have done a LOT of research so far. I go to the informational session next week.

Can anyone tell me how long the process takes? I am looking at getting this done at Tampa General Hospital here in Tampa, FL. Does everyone have to do to 6 month pre-diet surgery? (If I could do a 6 month diet and succeed, I would not need the surgery!!) I just wanted to see if it is mandatory or not. Trying to get an idea on the timeline for the whole process.

Please share your experiences with me! I want to have all the pros and cons before making the decision, although I am 90% sure that this is what I want to do.

I am currently at 237, lost 14 lbs in Jan/Feb by diet and a lot of exercise, but then I hurt my heel, and plantar faciitis has crippled me. I am no longer able to work out (not even bike riding!) and have gained back what I lost. I am very frustrated that I can't work out because I really loved how I felt when I could. So far I have not had ANY luck getting my heel to heal. Three cortisone shots, had to stop PT cause it made it worse, etc.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you!

Replies

• meyou4042
    meyou4042 Posts: 40
    Options
    Anyone?? No responses at all? I was hoping someone could chime in!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not a bypass patient. But I recently found a documentary called "Fat Doctor" on Youtube, which follows gastric bypass patients in England. It shows actual surgeries, and is a documentary for bypass patients.

It's very good that you've done some research on the topic. Gastric bypass is a pretty serious and and almost always a permanent surgery (unless the pouch is stretched back out). You may become intolerant to a lot of foods, you'll be living with smaller portions and lower calorie intakes, and it'll require a life long lifestyle change.

If you are required to do a 6 month pre-op diet, I would honestly reconsider before making this decision. If you can follow the 6 month plan, then it is possible to relearn new habits and avoid a surgical procedure. Try not to think of it as a "diet", but moreso a lifestyle change. Diets are temp fixes, but relearning how to eat, employ portion control, and making better food decisions are something that can follow you for a lifetime. I'm also not a doctor (and don't know your height), but bypass for someone who is around 237 seems a bit unusual to me. Most of the people who I have read about/seen pursue bypass are super morbidly obese, and with BMIs well over the 50-60 mark.

Regardless, I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.
  • vls1127
    vls1127 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass (RNY) done in 2001 and lost around 100 lbs. Gained back 50 lbs and in 2008 went low carb and lost further down. Well, here I am back up again higher than 2008 and trying low carb again. Good luck.
  • April1290
    April1290 Posts: 31
    Options
    I just had gastric bypass surgery on March 10th this year. It depends on your insurance company if you have to do the 6 month diet program before surgery, it's mainly to see if you can lose a decent amount on your own in that time. If you lose like 40-50 pounds in that time, then they'll turn you down. I started my journey in October last year (seminar) and from then until March I lost 17 pounds. I've lost 40 pounds in the 11 weeks since surgery, and 57 pounds total. I feel AMAZING. The first 2 weeks after surgery are the worst, from your body healing and getting used to it. The whole second month you will feel very tired & exhausted because you are having malnutrition, but that comes with the surgery... It's definitely a struggle, not the "easy way out" as a lot of people think, but I have to say it's very worth it!! Just remember that it is a tool, not just a "boom your skinny" kinda thing. Your body will have to get used to a lot of different things. You can add me if you want, to see how it's been for me. Just do plenty of research!! :)
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here (started today). I had a gastric sleeve done in 2011. Lost 180Lbs, but still obese. I had my surgery in Canada so the process would be completely different. The only suggestion I have is to really do you homework, talk to as many people as possible who have had the surgery. I found that you have to be more vigilant and determined than probably any other time in your life. Not to scare you off. Some people will say it is taking the "easy" way out. However you have to be mindful of taking supplements all the time not just occasionally. You have to keep track of your protein intake, carbs, water. etc. I just wanted to give you an idea of some of the requirements. Hope this helped. Good Luck on you healthy future.
  • April1290
    Options
    Some people will say it is taking the "easy" way out. However you have to be mindful of taking supplements all the time not just occasionally. You have to keep track of your protein intake, carbs, water. etc.

So true!!!! You do have to take vitamins for life after surgery. I have had difficulties with this but I'm getting passed it. And I use MFP every day to log my food--the easiest way to keep track of your protein intake & carbs! And I hate when people say it's the easy way out---it definitely isn't. We're really working as hard as anyone else would. :)
  • asia1967
    Options
    In Canada, our program requires us to take vitamins for the rest of our lives. Usually calcium citrate, vit. C,D and B12, prenatal vitamin. I also take zinc. Faithfully every day.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    12 years post gastric bypass. Had I known at the time what I know now, I would never have done it. If you are unable to maintain the lifestyle changes needed to lose weight, you will regain after your bypass anyway. I started at 250, supposedly had gotten to 150 at one time. When I got back up to 198, I decided it was time to finally be accountable for my actions and join MFP. I wish I had been motivated to do that at the time. It would have saved me 2 major surgeries (because I had an obstruction and had another open surgery 2 weeks after the first) and a ton of wear and tear on my body.
  • asia1967
    Options
    I don't regret having the surgery. Just wished that the hospital would have given us more of the realistic aspects of life after the surgery.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't regret having the surgery. Just wished that the hospital would have given us more of the realistic aspects of life after the surgery.

What province did you have the surgery in? I'm in BC, and i'm part of the West Coast Bariatric program. I haven't had surgery yet, i'm still going through all of my classes, tests etc
  • April1290
    Options
    A lot of things have changed since you had it schpanks, it's improved greatly with technology..that was 12 years ago.

And I have to take the calcium citrate, Vitamin D, B12, & Iron. Also Vitamin C but only if it's low. My hospital was fantastic as well as the weight loss center. There were so many meetings and appointments + doing research on my own. I knew exactly what I was getting into before the surgery. Your experience really depends on what weight loss center & hospital you end up with. Some do an amazing job and some really need to improve how they teach their patients.
  • asia1967
    Options
    I had my surgery in Hamilton, Ontario. The center was great, but there is no such thing as to much information. IMO
  • jemael
    jemael Posts: 1
    Options
    I have my Bariatric surgery informational meeting early June. I will be taking this journey with you. I have family (cousins) who have gone through the procedure. One gastric bypass and two have had lap-bands. Two of my cousins have had exceptional outcomes. The third (one of the lap-band patients) is having some issues - loosing weight to fast, and ended up in the hospital for a few days. I weigh approximately 40 pounds more than your weight, I have some health issues with being excessively overweight and hope not to endure the six month waiting process. Good luck on your choice. :smile:
  • tlbphotography
    Options
    What I learned from other bypass patients and my own experience is your body will shed all of the weight you are going to lose within the first 18 months (18 months is the max, the weight loss can stop earlier). Once you hit that lowest weight, you immediately gain 5-30 pounds and stay at that weight. The key to losing the most weight during the first few months is to mentally change your attitude about food and exercise. During that time get counseling to understand and address any issues that led you overeating. Make sure you keep exercising even if you lose every pound you want. If you do not do these things you will begin to regain over the years because you will naturally slip back into old habits because of not making permanent lifestyle changes. Over the years you will build a tolerance to foods you were not able to eat in the first years following the surgery.

I have over 20 real life friends who are 5-20 years out from R & Y gastric bypass. I am 11 years out. I went from 310 to 190 in 6 months. I was 190 for less than a week went up to 200 and stayed for 5 years. I gained 60 pounds over the next 6 years. I could blame that on 2 pregnancies and a severe broken leg but wouldn't be exactly true. I lost weight during each pregnancy and gained weight after I stopped breast feeding because I didn't ramp down my eating after the demands on my body were gone.

The ONLY way to lose regained weight post op is the dreaded old fashioned way... caloric reduction with exercise. The only exception to that is if you have had weight gain from pouch failure. In those cases a surgical revision may be an option.

In my case my pouch works just fine. I just regained my tolerance for sweets and would rather fill my pouch will a cupcakes vs. meat. I didn't realize I was consuming so many calories until I started tracking them here. So now I am losing by making better food choices. The one good thing is similar to people who drink alcohol, when you quit eating the foods that built up a tolerance to you lose the tolerance. I'm experiencing this now with sweets. I have tried almost every day this week to each some type of cupcake and while my mind is saying yes my pouch is having no part of it!

Even with the weight gain and complication (esophageal stricture) I don't regret the surgery one bit! I would do it over in a heartbeat. I just would take my own advice if I could go back and do it again.
  • tinag322
    tinag322 Posts: 4
    Options
    I had my surgery on May 12th. It was very painful afterward. But it does get better. I am 3 weeks out and i feel great! I've lost 21 pounds so far. You really do need to relearn how to eat. I will have 1/4 cup of yogurt(lets say) and im full. Just starting to add some food like ground chicken and stuff like that. my husband had the surgery last september and has lost 120 since. also i did not have to go on a diet. I just need a psych eval and blood work. I only started the whole process in march of this year.
  • newb01
    newb01 Posts: 22
    Options
    Understand there are other options as well...

Drugs -- Several on the market now that work.

There is also the band vs the bypass... Just do all your research and do the bypass as the absolute last resort. It will absoltuely require you to change your habits in life...I want to be able to cheat once in a while ...do that on the bypass and you very will can have bad things happen to you.
  • Fancy_66
    Fancy_66 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have a cousin on my maternal side that had gastric bypass, lost 120 pounds....gained that + 30 more back and over the last 3 years has lost 150 thru diet and exercise.
    I have a cousin on my paternal side that had gastric bypass on 12 April 2014....started the Muscle Milk diet 3 weeks prior so no solid foods 3 weeks before surgery....from then until 5 May he lost 44 pounds....on 5 may 2014 he had a heart attack and did not survive....he had turned 48 a week before....
    So my opinion and it's just that---my opinion---I would not do it.....in both cases close to me I have seen the bad side of it.....seeing my cousin come back and lose 150 pounds on her own afterwards gives me all the faith in the world that if she can do it---anybody can.
  • srqrunnergirl
    Options
    Feedback from Sarasota - I had the Rouex-Y back in 2001 - thirteen years ago. Back then there were no surgeons in Florida, thus had it in Atlanta, GA. I have mentored many folks in making the decision since there are pro's/con's. My key point is the the surgery is a tool. The surgery is not a solution. Many failures now since folks think the surgery is the solution, and have the surgery and then go back to the unhealthy style of eating - which ends up compounding the problem - and making you health worse. I highly recommend doing healthy/clean eating for one full year (like Weight Watchers) and watching/tracking on FitnessPal - Since this is not dieting - this is the style of clean eating for the rest of your life. If exercise is the problem now, try swimming. If you enjoy running and have the feet challenge, there are the eliptical bicycles (and another one) that are great. Be creative. Barbara
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You have to drastically change the way you eat and you already know you can lose weight without the major and sometimes very complicated surgery, why would you do it that way? Not trying to be rude, but seriously, why? Learn to eat smaller portions, period. It's hard, but if you're already struggling with the aspect that possibly you have to diet first for 6 months and you just can't see yourself doing that, the bypass is more restrictive after you've had it, than just limiting some of the foods you eat for 6 months. Getting healthy and fit is a long hard but rewarding experience. Learn to love it and embrace it instead of fighting it and looking for a quick fix, because it's not any easier than limiting the foods you love. I had a friend that did it and he wishes he would have just learned portion control in the first place, but he had a couple complications. Just learn to limit your intake. Exercise is great to add, but not necessary to lose weight.
  • Cuteymcpritty
    Cuteymcpritty Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had my initial bariatric surgery appt May 30th & my preference would be to have the gastric bypass. However my surgeon states that because my BMI is so high I would have to have the gastric sleeve or lose 80-100 lbs to have the gastric bypass. I am adamant to have the bypass so I have to lose at least 80 lbs by October 24th. I've cut my cals down to 1200 per day & with that I'm "expected" to lose 6 lbs per week. I'm gonna see how this week goes for me.