Help! What am I doing wrong? :(

Options

Replies

• mandikinz7
    mandikinz7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Women should consume 1200cal at the minimum, because that is what you require to support daily body functioning. Otherwise your body perceives itself as being starved and will try to reserve it's stored energy for survival. That would be why you are not losing the weight you were expecting, and why you should eat more. There's more to it, but that's a snapshot of what your body is going through.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't net less than 1200 calories a day. Are you weighing and measuring everything?

Why is being under 1200 a bad thing? I thought that's what I was supposed to do in order to be calorie deficient and then lose weight?

1200 is the arbitrary figure that lots use to be a minimum amount of calories you can have and still maintain your health during your weight loss

Your body needs a certain amount just to function normally. Unless you are very very tiny, you can still lose weight by having 1200 calories

Can you post your height/weight etc so we can calculate with you?

I am 163 cm tall and weigh 80kg.

Using an online calculator, your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs just to function without moving) is 1495

So if you Net 1200 calories a day you will undoubtedly begin to lose weight - you can't fail to

Good luck, I'm sure things will be just fine
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So for the last month or so I've been exercising regularly - running on the treadmill, HIT and some weights as well as making much better food choices- cutting down on processed, fatty foods, smaller portion sizes etc yet I'm not losing weight or cm's :( I joined back up on MFP a week ago so I could track everything more closely and get support. Help!
    You can run on the treadmill, do HIIT and weights, make much better food choices, cut out certain things, but the bottom line is that you won't lose weight unless you are eating less than you burn.

My advice: first set you goals up in MFP and then plan to log each day. Measure all liquids and weight all solids, ensure you are using correct entries (you can always create your own from USDA nutrition information), accurately logging all exercise calories (MFP and gym machines tend to overestimate these burns so it's generally recommended you eat back around 75 - 80% of those calories). I give you this advice because it's what has worked for me and countless others, but you will have to find out what works for you.
  • Nessie112
    Nessie112 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Besides what they all said just give it some more time. When i first started trying to eat healthier and what not I ended up gaining 6lbs. I would work out a bunch but it would make me so hungry I would eat it all back without even realizing it, that's what rocks about MFP you can track everything. Just try to get your foods imputed correctly, also you may want to try some strength training, it's really good for losing cms :)
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice.

I'm going to weigh things more accurately and consistently, and aim for 1200 calories a day THEN burn it all off through exercise!

Cheers!!
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    Besides what they all said just give it some more time. When i first started trying to eat healthier and what not I ended up gaining 6lbs. I would work out a bunch but it would make me so hungry I would eat it all back without even realizing it, that's what rocks about MFP you can track everything. Just try to get your foods imputed correctly, also you may want to try some strength training, it's really good for losing cms :)

Thanks Nessie112, all advice is greatly received!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If you've been working out for a month but only logging for a week (that's what I read this as, anyway) then you've probably been eating more than you think the past three weeks. If you're tracking honestly and accurately from here on out you'll be fine, I think.
  • Wonderob
    Options

I'm going to weigh things more accurately and consistently, and aim for 1200 calories a day THEN burn it all off through exercise!

Cheers!!

I hope you haven't got the wrong idea still billymax

The 1200 figure is the Net figure, so anything you burn off should still result in a minimum of 1200 calories

i.e If you burn off 600 calories a day doing exercise - you need to eat a MINIMUM of 1800 calories per day
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Cheers!!
    I just looked at your diary. Are getting your exercise calorie burns from the MFP database and/or from the gym machines? I ask because your exercise calories seem pretty high.

Also, I notice you have numerous entries with a medium banana being 90 calories. Let's just say "medium" is in the eye the beholder and most bananas don't weigh the same even if they look to be the same size. That's why its important to peel that banana and put it on the food scale. You can find many fruit and vegetables by the gram in the MFP database or online. I weight all my fruits and veggies by the gram.

In any event, it sounds like you are on the right track Starting out is always trial and error and we've all been there! Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Cheers!!

The 1200 figure is the Net figure, so anything you burn off should still result in a minimum of 1200 calories

i.e If you burn off 600 calories a day doing exercise - you need to eat a MINIMUM of 1800 calories per day
    This is correct.
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    If you've been working out for a month but only logging for a week (that's what I read this as, anyway) then you've probably been eating more than you think the past three weeks. If you're tracking honestly and accurately from here on out you'll be fine, I think.

Cool thanks for that. Yes you did interpret correctly. I guess I need to be more patient too - it took me a bit longer than a month to gain the weight so probably shouldn't expect to lose it that fast! Ha ha
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Cheers!!

Oh no you don't! That will make it worse. Your calorie deficit to lose weight is already built into your calorie goal. Whatever you burn during exercise you are supposed to eat back.

So for example:

Daily calorie goal: 1200 (although it should be 1500 at least based on the other person's calculation of your BMR being 1495)

Exercise calories: 300

1200 daily calorie goal + 300 exercise calories = What you should be eating to still lose weight each week, or 1500 based on the example here

Please read the links and calculate your goals based on the information in them. My calories are set at 1650 before exercise; sometimes I end up eating 2000-2200 calories after exercise. You don't need to be hungry to lose weight.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Cheers!!

YES YES YES THIS!! You need to NET 1200, not eat 1200.
    And honestly, the heavier you are, the more you need to eat to start to lose. When I was 216 lbs, I had to eat 1950/day to lose weight. When I ate less, I lost nothing. I used the TDEE minus 20% method for every single pound lost. Now I'm 148 and can eat 1650 to lose or closer to 1900 to maintain :)

www.fat2fitradio.com Use the BMR calculator but enter your CURRENT weight for your goal weight as well.
    Then look at the little chart. Use the SEDENTARY # minus 20% to start. It works. I promise!! I even used that when I was working out 6 days a week. I now use the lightly active # minus 20% and I run like 15-20 miles per week and lift heavy weights at least 4 days a week.

Redo the little chart for every 5 lbs lost!
    Good luck!
  • Wonderob
    Options

Cheers!!

And honestly, the heavier you are, the more you need to eat to start to lose. When I was 216 lbs, I had to eat 1950/day to lose weight. When I ate less, I lost nothing. I used the TDEE minus 20% method for every single pound lost. Now I'm 148 and can eat 1650 to lose or closer to 1900 to maintain :)

www.fat2fitradio.com Use the BMR calculator but enter your CURRENT weight for your goal weight as well.
    Then look at the little chart. Use the SEDENTARY # minus 20% to start. It works. I promise!! I even used that when I was working out 6 days a week. I now use the lightly active # minus 20% and I run like 15-20 miles per week and lift heavy weights at least 4 days a week.

Good luck!

Skipping through this post I can see all sorts of good snippets

TDEE - 20%
    Running for cardio
    Lift heavy weights

That's a pretty good foundation for any weight loss plan right there
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    Oh my gosh I've been doing it so wrong! That might explain why I've been tired too.

New plan: weigh everything and aim for 1200 calories after exercising!

I must admit I'm scared to eat more as this seems to defy my natural instincts regarding weightloss but what do I know ha ha!

Watch this space!! :D
  • clcorzine
    clcorzine Posts: 2
    Options
    Seems like your eating a lot of carbs, processed food and r u drinking soda???
  • billymaxmum
    Options

Cheers!!

Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks, this looks really helpful!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Oh my gosh I've been doing it so wrong! That might explain why I've been tired too.

New plan: weigh everything and aim for 1200 calories after exercising!

I must admit I'm scared to eat more as this seems to defy my natural instincts regarding weightloss but what do I know ha ha!

Watch this space!! :D

Brilliant, sounds like a good plan

My wife was saying the exact same thing - a really hard concept to get your head around and totally against your natural instincts - she is often eating MORE than she actually wants to, whilst on a diet! It really is the right way to do it though

Good luck
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    Seems like your eating a lot of carbs, processed food and r u drinking soda???

Hi there. I don't really eat much processed foods and never drink soda.
  • billymaxmum
    Options

Cheers!!

Oh no you don't! That will make it worse. Your calorie deficit to lose weight is already built into your calorie goal. Whatever you burn during exercise you are supposed to eat back.

So for example:

Daily calorie goal: 1200 (although it should be 1500 at least based on the other person's calculation of your BMR being 1495)

Exercise calories: 300

1200 daily calorie goal + 300 exercise calories = What you should be eating to still lose weight each week, or 1500 based on the example here

Please read the links and calculate your goals based on the information in them. My calories are set at 1650 before exercise; sometimes I end up eating 2000-2200 calories after exercise. You don't need to be hungry to lose weight.

Thank you so much for explaining this! It totally makes sense and I've had it so wrong for so long! Doh!