Aeropilates vs Pilates Power Gym

I'm thinking of getting a pilates reformer, and these two seem to be the main choices for an entry level machine. Just wondered who has tried either and what you did/didn't like about it. Just my impressions from watching vids, power gym looks sturdier & heavier, aeropilates less so - but I do like that there are accessories for the aeopilates (e.g. frame to raise it), it also looks wider & seems to move smoother which I like too.

I'm hoping to save some $ by getting a used one, so it may take awhile is the downside (not many on craigslist, & most on ebay do local pickup only). If anyone has a suggestion where else to look i'd appreciate it :)

Replies

• jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    just giving this a bump for the morning crowd :)
  • pmart611
    pmart611 Posts: 17 Member
    I love my Aeropilates and have been using it for 2+ years now. It is an efficient combination of cardio and resistance training that has totally toned my body and helped me lose my weight. I have never been one for any type of at-home equipment and I especially hate the gym. But something about it made me keep going, I think because I felt good from doing it and I saw results right away.It is very sturdy, is made of hard steel and weighs about 70 lbs. I recommend the 5 cord machine they have on QVC right now for $400. It sounds like alot but if you keep using it, you won't ever regret getting it! I plan on using it well into my 70's to stay healthy, flexible, and strong!
  • HI, I agree with pmart611 - I finally just invested in one - as have a baby at home and finding it difficult to get a strength element into my routine.
    I have previously had great results interval training at the gym alternating cardio and weights to build metabolism / muscle , but it's not longer an option with a baby. Needs to be something i can do at home. So i knew the basic premise worked for me.

You will notice a difference straight away. i wouldn't consider myself inactive, by any means, but i was sore from even the beginner workouts. and it is really pleasurable way to exercise. I can't fault it.
    I need longer to see body results, but based on how the workout felt, it was definitely comparable strength training to a gym workout.
    I have not seen quite the heart rate results that the studies claim (i.e. 160bpm + - better than a treadmill) - but i am still doing beginner routines, to wrap my head around the exercises. my heart rate monitor had my heart rate at about 100 for those (but the core effort felt much more difficult than that).
    I can tell it has much more potential to work you out. it's hard work, and if you are afraid it won't give a good workout, you will be surprised.

Hope this helps. My husband and I will both be using this for a long time to come...