I need a snack idea

Options
I get hungry every two hours. So, when I start grading papers in the afternoon, I need a snack that will tide me over until dinner that will also keep my hands busy because this is my worst junk food craving time of day. It needs to be filling without being full of calories--so a handful of nuts just won't do it. Basically I need something to munch on while I grade (it's a comfort thing).

I tried a handful of baby carrots yesterday and a mug of tea, but I still had hunger pangs before dinner.

Ideas?

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    What about a bowl of oatmeal? Add some fruit (apple or blueberries) and all that fiber should keep you satisfied for a while. Something similar might work, too, like a bowl of plain, nonfat yogurt with some blueberries and a tsp of honey.
  • Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feeel the same way when I am studying. I get a baggy of cereal and that tends to help the hand to mouth thing and satisfies me. I need something that there is a lot of in a serving.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit, like a banana and an apple. Both are really fillin and the apple will take you awhile to eat.
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    pistachios maybe? or the special k snack bars are good too
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I LOVE laughing cow light cheese wedges (all kinds) with the little special K crackers. You can have seventeen crackers and a wedge for 125 cals. Something with high protein is a good choice also, it will keep you full longer. I like to have hard boiled egg whites only, you can have a lot of those for low calories!!!
  • PattiPositive
    Options
    When I get that feeling and a snack isnt doing it, I eat alittle protien and a glass a water. It helps me. Also, I buy the trader joes lite popcorn. Its $1.19 a big bag. 2 cups fill me up and goes a ways for me.
  • Mandy814
    Options
    100 calorie snack packs are awesome!!
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It sounds a little crazy but I love low fat yogurt with Cheerios. Gives me the protein and the crunch that I need.
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    I like Kashi bars, they seem to be more filling and better for you than some of the other "sugary" cereal bars. The one I eat has 7g of protein and 4g of fiber, so it keeps me satisfied. On days I'm still needing a little more than just that, I add a 1/2 cup of blueberries. I make myself eat one at a time, if not I'd dump the whole cup in my mouth! lol!
    Hope this helps, good luck!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I eat popchips while I grade essays, or popcorn... something crunchy, but not outrageously bad for me....
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Puffcorn??? It's called Chesters Puffcorn...it's basically like a Cheeto!!! and you can eat THREE..yes I said THREE cups of it for 150 cals!!!! It's ALOT!!! you could probably even portion it out over 2 snack periods!! I'm not real sure of the nutritional value....I mean it is junk food...but it's very filling and goes ALONG way for few calories!!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I like triscuits topped with sharp cheddar cheese. Yum!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have found that popcorn is a saver for me. You feel like you're eating a lot when you aren't really. I'm talking getting you're own popcorn popper and popping your own on the stove rather than the microwavable kind. That way you know what's going in it. I dust mine with nutritional yeast and wheat germ and it's delicious!!!
  • raiderkiwi
    Options
    you could try low cal popcorn???
  • veggiegirl314
    Options
    Have you ever had popchips before? They have a nice crunch, they're light, and there's a LOT in a serving!
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    cantaloupe does wonders for me :)
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    100 calorie bags of popcorn are great...takes a while to eat....also flavored mini rice cakes (ranch are my favorite)
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/btrflyflutter

LOL I just blogged this snack yesterday! It's yummy if you like chips and you could easily make a bunch up , put it in a ziplock bag to keep at your desk.
  • IreneAdler
    Options
    The popcorn and cheesepuffs sound like great ideas. I get tired of eating apples and carrots after a while. I've never heard of popchips
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I LOVE laughing cow light cheese wedges (all kinds) with the little special K crackers. You can have seventeen crackers and a wedge for 125 cals. Something with high protein is a good choice also, it will keep you full longer. I like to have hard boiled egg whites only, you can have a lot of those for low calories!!!

MM i love crackers and cheese! i am totally sold!