Fat percentage question

mrichardson23
mrichardson23 Posts: 5
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
hi all

i am trying to drop my fat % to 8 and i am crrently 13%. i dont want to end up being like a twig though at the same time. Has anyone got any tips or ideas on how i can keep the Percentage fat dropping but keep roughly the same size???

Replies

• adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Weight lifting... it'll help burn calories and increase your muscle mass, which will then be a higher percentage of your overall weight, and will reduce your fat percentage. Cardio will help too, but the weight lifting will go a long way.
  • Many thanks for the reply

i do some weight lifting at the moment, normally around 30mins to 45mins, followed by the same doing cardio, so would it be better to increase the amount of time doing the weights and the weight itself and reduce the cardio???
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Since you didn't post your current weight or strength goals, it's difficult to give constructive advice. Generally, whether or not you end up looking "like a twig" will depend on how much muscle you currently have. You WILL NOT gain any new muscle during your fat loss process. What you can do is do your best to preserve the existing muscle you have by doing the following:

1. Eating adequate amounts of protein.
    2. Strength training.
    3. Keep your 'weight' loss to a controlled minimum -- if you're losing more than 2 lbs/week you're definitely losing muscle along with fat. Aim for very slow losses of 1-2 lbs/week, and keep careful track of your lifting progress. If you find yourself getting noticeable weaker, you need to re-evaluate what you're doing because, again, you're losing muscle.

Trying to drop to < 10% bodyfat is a difficult task since your body will fight you every step of the way -- primarily since there's no functional reason to be that low; although yes, it looks better at the beach during summertime. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.