Will i lose weight?

Options
Hi guys,

I walk on the treadmill at about 4.5km/h for 30 mins take a 5 minute break and walk for another 30 minutes at the same speed.
I follow this routine for 5 days. ( I take a break on Saturday and Sunday ).

I make sure that my daily calorie intake is 1200 per day.

Will I be able to lose weight? ( preferably 1 kg per week )

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It will have to be every week not just for 5 days.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: YES! The weight has no other place to go but off! :wink:
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of snarky answers. :D

If you're eating less than you need in a day, you will lose weight. What's your TDEE?

But yes, at 1200 calories your going to lose weight. Even if you do nothing. Than is unless your a todler.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough food to sustain you unless you are a 70 year old sedentary 4'8'' woman, so yeah...you are going to lose weight. Might not be very healthy doing so however as that is likely a very large deficit. Hard to say without knowing your current stats (age,gender,height, weight)
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would like to exercise everyday but the gym is closed on weekends. =(
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Honestly exercise has nothing to do with weight loss. Exercise is about getting fit and healthy.

What is your age, weight, height and gender? 1200 calories is likely way to little to eat and be healthy, especially with exercise.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    What is your age, weight, height and gender? 1200 calories is likely way to little to eat and be healthy, especially with exercise.

As a 25 yr old male, with 50-ish lbs to lose... Did you randomly pick 1200 calories a day, or did you put 2 lbs per week loss into MFP?
  • wise_wind
    Options

As a 25 yr old male, with 50-ish lbs to lose... Did you randomly pick 1200 calories a day, or did you put 2 lbs per week loss into MFP?

Age 25+
    Gender Male
    Current Weight: 94.2kg ( 207.6 pounds )
    Goal Weight: 70kg (154.3 pounds)
    Height: 168cm (5.51 feet)
    i randomly picked 1200 calories.
    Should I be increasing my calorie intake?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Age 25+
    Gender Male

Yeah man, you aren't going to be able to sustain at only 1200 calories a day at your size. With that little food especially with exercise you will lose weight quickly but the weight you lose will be both fat AND your muscle. It is very difficult to put on muscle, you really don't want to lose what you have or if you stick with such a low intake you will end up just looking kind of scrawny and skinny-fat at the end.

What you want is a modest calorie deficit sustained over time with plenty of protein, about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass.

Right now I weight 175 pounds so I am smaller than you and I am eating about 2200 calories a day and losing about 1.4 pounds a week which is about 0.6 kilos. I work out 6 days a week though, my goal is to net 1800 calories a day which means if I don't exercise I eat 1800 and if I burn 400 calories from exercise I eat 2200.

I'd guess at your size you'd want to be eating similarly, probably around 1800 calories even if you don't exercise. If you do exercise you should eat some of that back and eat even more.

1200 is WAY to low for you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Honestly exercise has nothing to do with weight loss. Exercise is about getting fit and healthy.

While I suspect the OP may not be in the same boat, many of us rely on calories burned from exercise to meet our weekly deficit numbers. But I would agree that losing weight is about eating less than you burn and does not have to be centered around any exercise at all
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Age 25+
    Gender Male

Yeah man, you aren't going to be able to sustain at only 1200 calories a day at your size. With that little food especially with exercise you will lose weight quickly but the weight you lose will be both fat AND your muscle. It is very difficult to put on muscle, you really don't want to lose what you have or if you stick with such a low intake you will end up just looking kind of scrawny and skinny-fat at the end.

What you want is a modest calorie deficit sustained over time with plenty of protein, about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass.

Right now I weight 175 pounds so I am smaller than you and I am eating about 2200 calories a day and losing about 1.4 pounds a week which is about 0.6 kilos. I work out 6 days a week though, my goal is to net 1800 calories a day which means if I don't exercise I eat 1800 and if I burn 400 calories from exercise I eat 2200.

I'd guess at your size you'd want to be eating similarly, probably around 1800 calories even if you don't exercise. If you do exercise you should eat some of that back and eat even more.

^^^ All of this ^^^

A couple of links for reading for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

So, you see... your target weight loss of 50 lbs, would mean a more reasonable weekly target weight loss would be 1.5 lbs per week, and soon, you should probably go with 1 lb per week. I tossed your numbers into a calculator, and came up with 2400 as a starting point to maintain. If you take 750 calories per day off, to target 1.5 lbs per week loss, that's 1650 calories per day.

Like Aaron says.... don't stay down at 1200 calories per day You probably can't sustain it, and you won't be happy with the results. I've been there / done that..... it's way harder to try to get muscle back.
  • wise_wind
    Options

Age 25+
    Gender Male

^^^ All of this ^^^

A couple of links for reading for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

So, you see... your target weight loss of 50 lbs, would mean a more reasonable weekly target weight loss would be 1.5 lbs per week, and soon, you should probably go with 1 lb per week. I tossed your numbers into a calculator, and came up with 2400 as a starting point to maintain. If you take 750 calories per day off, to target 1.5 lbs per week loss, that's 1650 calories per day.

Like Aaron says.... don't stay down at 1200 calories per day You probably can't sustain it, and you won't be happy with the results. I've been there / done that..... it's way harder to try to get muscle back.

Thank you Aaron_K123, JaneiR36 and sloth3toes. =)

I will increase my daily calorie intake.

But sry to bother you guys with another question.

Is there a certain requirement for the amount of protein and carbohydrates in our calorie intake?

Aaron_K123 mentioned about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Does that mean we should take the amount of protein in accordance to our weight in pounds? Sry if I got that wrong.

I'm a vegetarian so my lunch and dinner mostly consists of a small portion of carbohydrates (rice or bread) and bigger portion of stir-fried vegetables. My breakfast consist of oats porridge with some fruits.

Is it considered healthy diet?

Thanks. =)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Is there a certain requirement for the amount of protein and carbohydrates in our calorie intake?

Aaron_K123 mentioned about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Does that mean we should take the amount of protein in accordance to our weight in pounds? Sry if I got that wrong.

Not a requirement, but recommendation to maintain muscle mass. And it's not calculated per pound of total weight - but total lean body mass.

So if you are ~200 lbs (rounding here) and you estimate your body fat % to be 20% (again - just guessing - sub in your actual numbers) you have approximately 200 x 20% = 40 lbs of fat and 160 (200 - 40) of lean mass.

I generally aim for about .8 grams per lb - so somewhere between .8 x 160 and 1 x 160 in the above example (128-160g) of protein
    I'm a vegetarian so my lunch and dinner mostly consists of a small portion of carbohydrates (rice or bread) and bigger portion of stir-fried vegetables. My breakfast consist of oats porridge with some fruits.

Sounds woefully lacking in protein.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of snarky answers. :D

If you're eating less than you need in a day, you will lose weight. What's your TDEE?

But yes, at 1200 calories your going to lose weight. Even if you do nothing. Than is unless your a todler.

wow nice way to start your post...

People don't get snark unless they deserve snark.

To the OP I wont add anything else other than the Protien requirements are to help repair Muscle mass esp if you are lifting.

You can choose the amount you want to get in (MFP sets them to the minimum) so treat them as such.

I personally get in 120g a day, and hit my fats and let my carbs fall where they may.

As a vegetarian just ensure you are getting in enough of your micros and try to find protien that is suitable for your diet.

I
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Like others said, you can definitely increase your daily intake. 1200 is usually very low for most people. I lost weight at @1750 calories per day. If your eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. Weigh and measure all your foods and you'll be fine.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    A kilo per week can depend on metabolism often, which may take time to speed up. Most would suggest against 1200 calories and a kilo a week can be hard to maintain. But all doable.
    Yes you will lose weight, it may take up to a month to do so in moderately steady fashion.
    Weight loss is do to with energy going in and energy going out. Because of portioning some find it hard because it can be a lifestyle change. Especially for large amounts.
    I repeat you will lose weight, as long as you aren't lying to your food and exercise dairies of course.
  • wise_wind
    Options
    Thanks alot guys =)

Hopefully I can lose 50 pounds by May next year haha. =)
  • wise_wind
    Options

Not a requirement, but recommendation to maintain muscle mass. And it's not calculated per pound of total weight - but total lean body mass.

So if you are ~200 lbs (rounding here) and you estimate your body fat % to be 20% (again - just guessing - sub in your actual numbers) you have approximately 200 x 20% = 40 lbs of fat and 160 (200 - 40) of lean mass.

I generally aim for about .8 grams per lb - so somewhere between .8 x 160 and 1 x 160 in the above example (128-160g) of protein

Is it ok if I take protein powder separately to meet the protein requirement?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yes. Many people simply consider this food
  • wise_wind
    Options

Yes. Many people simply consider this food

Ok thanks. =)