You can't always trust 'The Experts'...

Options
I follow Jillian Michaels on FB. I find it's a good way to get good information throughout my day and kind of 'remind me' about my goals, even as I'm cruising the web.

Then today, she posted the following status update:

"Tip: Recent studies found prescription-antihistamine users are more likely to be overweight. Drugs like Olanzapine & Risperidone carry the side effect of blocking weight loss. Research shows that blocking histamines, although good for managing hay-fever, can contribute to over eating & slow fat breakdown.If you take these drugs, talk to your Dr. about natural alternatives & environmental fixes such as dust proofing."

What's interesting about this is that Olanzapine & Risperidone are anti-psychotic medications (NOT antihistamines). My husband has ADHD and PDD, and takes Risperidone every night- and it's completely changed his life. Fortunately for both of us, he's stayed trim and fit. However, even if he'd gained a little weight, it would be well-worth it for all the benefits it's had for his mental health.

Risperidone is used to treat schizophrenia, autism, ADHD..... weight loss is a potential side-effect with both medications but I don't know anyone that would recommend going off these kinds of medications just to shed a few pounds.

I wanted to share this today as an example of how sometimes even the 'experts' that we trust to provide us with good information can get it wrong. We can't always simply trust what we're being told by these people; it's important that we take the time and do our research, or check in with a doctor, before making any (drastic) changes.

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    On a related note, here's an article with information about antihistamines and weight gain:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38851954/ns/health/
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I read that as well, and was disappointed at where the fact she got her information...there was another post last week about almonds or was it this week...that got me goin' as well...

Not sure where she is gettin' her info from or if her publisher is doin' this...It's not makin' any sense...

I prefer to follow beachbody.com or Tony Horton fb feeds...at least they have some more countability...

xo
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I read the post as well. I was appalled since I used to work in a mental health office and know what Risperidone is actually used for. Normally Jillian has excellent facts in her books and Facebook posts, but this one was way off.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am so appalled by this, I don't even know what to say! As a figure in the fitness and health industry that many people follow she has an obligation to make sure she knows what she is saying. wow.... dissapointed in JM right now....
  • shelli1982
    Options
    THANK you for sharing this.... Unfortunately a lot of the new generation anti-psychotics DO have weight gain as a side effect, but you are spot-on saying that it's not worth discontinuing the meds for a weight loss. Trusting a doctor instead of a tv personality is some great advice, thanks again for sharing!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Always look for at least 3 reputable sources for information. The web is full of biased studies by so called experts and research groups. Anyone can type up a "research study" with false information and put it out there and have it spouted as fact. It's called marketing I believe.......
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You also need to realize that these TV show and people are sponsored by many companies Biggest loser by Subway, Britta,that gum company, and Jenny O to name a few. They need to back these company's. I wouldn't call them experts they are just the faces and the stars of the reality show. I had never heard of Jillian or Bob before the show just as I probably don't have a clue of who the mysterious trainers in the sunset silhouette are.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have Bob on my feed and he is just full of crap all the time. He is constantly going off half cocked about crap that is cooky and really making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I specifically remember he had everyone all whipped up about the Nutritionalist who went on the Twinkie diet.

Im about ready to dump him
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    You also need to realize that these TV show and people are sponsored by many companies Biggest loser by Subway, Britta,that gum company, and Jenny O to name a few. They need to back these company's. I wouldn't call them experts they are just the faces and the stars of the reality show. I had never heard of Jillian or Bob before the show just as I probably don't have a clue of who the mysterious trainers in the sunset silhouette are.

I'm well aware of the fact that she's got a lot of sponsors and companies backing her. I generally don't take what she says too seriously as a result.

The problem is that there are people out there who practically worship her and will do anything she suggests without questions. That's where misinformation like this can become really dangerous.

Of course, I'm using Jillian as an example here because a)she's the one who posted this and b)just about everyone here knows who she is. But there are a lot of famous 'experts' out there. People who want to lose weight look up to them, and take their advise very seriously. That's why I thought it was important to point out that these people aren't perfect- and that sometimes they get it wrong. This is why it's important that we do our research and, when in doubt, talk to our doctors.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Ummm...as much as I hate JM, nowhere does she say to stop taking the drugs. She mentions about "talking to your Dr. about a natural alternative" and that's it.

If anybody is stupid enough to do exactly what someone else suggest without doing their own research, then they deserve what they get. Hell, I don't even do anything my Dr tells me until I do my own research. Believe or not, Dr. don't know everything, and guess what, they also get kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies for drugs they "push".
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I'm well aware of the fact that she's got a lot of sponsors and companies backing her. I generally don't take what she says too seriously as a result.

I totally agree that is why we should always go by our Doctors recommendations they know our body's and our health. People have a tendency to believe anything they hear. I say any information you get from the internet should be thoroughly checked out. DO NOT rely on the internet for your health

The problem is that there are people out there who practically worship her and will do anything she suggests without questions. That's where misinformation like this can become really dangerous.

Of course, I'm using Jillian as an example here because a)she's the one who posted this and b)just about everyone here knows who she is. But there are a lot of famous 'experts' out there. People who want to lose weight look up to them, and take their advise very seriously. That's why I thought it was important to point out that these people aren't perfect- and that sometimes they get it wrong. This is why it's important that we do our research and, when in doubt, talk to our doctors.