why are carbs so bad

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    They aren't.

I loaded up on them last night after my 10 mile run and feel/look awesome today.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. Many of them (fruits and veg) are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Low carb is a diet and a fad. It will go away in about 5 years after everybody loses weight on it and then regains it. Most (like myself) have been through that cycle on low carb already. I personally eat 50% carb per day and it kick started my weigh loss. I had to go to a dietitian to get that advice but i'll give it to you for free! lol
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Op there is alot of misinfo on this thread.

Just this thread? ... I think not ... there's a *kitten* load on this site :-p
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    carbohydrates are organic compounds that contain carbon, oxygen and hydrogen (carb-O-hydr ates) - they are made by plants, initially by photosynthesis, but plant enzymes can convert the glucose produced by photosynthesis to other carbohydrates (and to fats and proteins (which aren't carbohydrates but are still needed by the body), although some of these need additional elements (e.g. protein needs nitrates))

Carbohydrates are the most readily available energy source for your body... your cells break it down, using oxygen, to release the energy from the glucose molecule which it uses for its life processes. The body can convert other carbohydrates into glucose and also get energy from fats and proteins (although fats and proteins are used for other things in the body, e.g. building new cells) not just for energy.

Carbohydrates have a reputation for being bad because it's easy to overeat on them. Eating a lot of protein and fat tends to make you feel full and stop eating, but a lot of people can eat way too much carbohydrate before feeling full. Some high carbohydrate foods like fruits are harder to overeat on because they also contain a lot of fibre. But generally speaking, it's easy to overeat on carbs, so diets that restrict carbohydrates tend to be successful as they result in the person eating less food and therefore creating a calorie deficit (although it's not a foregone conclusion). The solution to this problem, of course, is to eat carbohydrate in moderate serving sizes, which take into account your size and your activity levels. Demonising carbs just because some people eat too much of them is just silly.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad because they made me fat and pre-diabetic. Now that I restrict them to under 30g a day, I've lost 1/3 of my body weight and 1/2 the gain of the last 14 years, and I am no longer pre-diabetic and I have a normal blood lipid profile and blood pressure.

Now, tell me again that carbs are good? :p

Over eating and eating at a calorie surplus makes people fat not any of the food categories of carb, protein or fat. This is pure rhetoric. I've eaten carbs (in excess at times) and have been at most 20 pounds over weight. Carbs is not the problem - over eating is.
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Its not that Carbs are bad, but they come in different forms. You can get Carbs from Vegetables, Fruit, Salad Veg, Oils and Fats, Natural Wheat products (Brown Bread, Brown Rice, Porridge, High Fibre Cereals). These are generally seen as GOOD Carbs.

However, in this day and age, I would say the majority of Carbs tend to come from processed foods - White Rice, Bread, Flour, Pasta, Fat Dairy, Butter, Sugar, Batter/Breadcrumb products, Alchohol etc. These are generally seen as BAD Carbs.

There are many diets that restrict carbs, purely because ppl normally eat BAD carbs.

For example - Take a traditional Sunday Lunch - Roast Beef/Chicken, Mashed Potato, Roast potato, Veg, Yorkshire Pudding, Gravy. You can break that meal down into basic food groups - Protien, Carbs, Fats. Unfortunatly, it tens to work out that you are eating 25% Protien (Meat) 25% Good Carbs (Veg) 45% Bad Carbs (Potatoes/Yorkshire Pudding/Gravy) and 5% Fats (Gravy/Batter/Oil).

This is why ppl say carbs are bad.

Each time you look at a meal, break it down. Try going for a 70/30 split - 70% Protien/Veg 30% Carb/Potato/Fat.

The body uses more energy breaking down protien, than it does to break down carbs/fat. More energy used = more calories burned.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've kept my weight off for better than 7 years now by using the everything in moderation idea. Now I do know people that are lifelong diabetics who have to really watch their carbs but there's a medical reason to do so. Certainly you can go overboard but you can do that with anything! I'm a marathoner who loves the long distances so carbs are truly my friend :smile: Here's what I suggest to the OP. Find what works for you and stick with it! I got a ton of advice when I started, some good and some bad, so I set out to find what worked for me personally and that is what I do. If you feel like controlling your carbs is what you need to do then do it and tune out everything else.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    ooops double posted because my browser is crazy
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    What!? An average carbohydrate will yield 34 to 38 ATP molecules when catabolized. Compare that to maybe 4 to 8 ATP molecules per average protein catabolized. I think it is clear that carbs are the most rewarding source of energy you can eat. But something tells me that you do not need that much ATP in your sedentary lifestyle.

plus I'd rather my RNA molecules were using the amino acids to build new muscle cells rather than catabolising them for energy.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Always been a big fan of carbohydrates. carbohydrate is any any of a large group of organic compounds occurring in foods and living tissues and including sugars, starch, and cellulose. They contain hydrogen and oxygen in the same ratio as water (2:1) and typically can be broken down to release energy in the animal body. Starving yourself of them will often mean it will have to be made up with protein. (Coincidentally gluten is a protein substitute; I wouldn't want to be a hyperglycemic vegetarian). But enough blathering.
    I am also not an expert so don't take this word for word.

Often people choose to do low carbs because they often have high calories for what is there. Personally I think they are often healthy and weight loss wise just eat below or close to your calorie limit.
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    carbs are not the problem, over eating is.
    There are good carbs that keep you fuller for longer such as brown rice and sweet potatoes.
    add a little of the good carbs to your meal and your sorted. just stay aware from the cream cakes and biscuits ;)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    They aren't bad

They are very nice in fact
    I love my carbs
  • JonathanJ1996
    JonathanJ1996 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    carbs are far from being bad for you
  • ARTSYANNIE2014
    Options
    Actually, the other reason for eating complex carbs is how they are processed. Complex carbs break down slower and I think are utilized better? Simple carbs ie: sugar, pasta, refined foods, soda, breads get converted and deposited as fat stored in your body. In a nutshell: they make you fat!
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OP was asking a rhetorical question, I believe. This is why he posed the question (for interest) in the forum, and followed up (sardonic) in the actual thread. My my, some of these MFP sound as though they need some counselling for anger. :laugh:

And for the man who advised carbs made him fat and diabetic ... regardless of what diet selection you've chosen -- in your case being a vegan -- you can still overeat your calories. When this is done, then you gain weight. Since items such as pasta and grains can hold a surprising amount of calories, eating vegan whilst overeating those "horrid" carbs (e.g. pasta, grain, etc) can easily cause a calorie surplus.

As everyone here has said, "Carbs didn't make you fat."
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    PSA: Bacon has no carbs!!

tumblr_ml7kjcJxAB1qbih6so1_500.gif

In......for carb hatin'