hypnosis

Options
Anyone tried mental lap band surgery with hypnosis? I have begun the program and am very pleased with the results after two weeks. Has helped me sleep at night and to remain very calm during the day. No food cravings at all. Not a diet but a life change. To date, have lost 9 pounds and 2" in waistline. Haven't had my surgical session yet and was wondering if anyone out there has done this program.

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time nor your money.
    Do a deficit and see results. Lift heavy to maintain muscle mass.
  • brayman1701
    brayman1701 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time nor your money.
    Do a deficit and see results. Lift heavy to maintain muscle mass.

That works for losing it I agree but that doesn't help people who have emotional issues around food.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just posted in another hypnotherapy thread, so will paste in what I wrote :)

'I had hypnotherapy for a 'hypno gastric band' and it has worked really well for me. Not only did I lose weight, but I started running which is something that I have secretly wanted to do for a long time. I started learning to run on Jan 3 this year, at which point I thought I was going to die each time I had to run for 60 seconds and now I run for up to 90 mins/11km at a time and am doing a half marathon in September. I no longer emotionally eat, except maybe a handful of times in the last 8 months.'

I will also add that I have a long history of eating disorders and depression. I used food to self medicate, but these days that is not the way my brain works. I'm really happy with how things have gone :) Good luck!
  • Kegha
    Kegha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you lost 9 pounds it seems to work for you, as long as it is giving you the willpower to control your craving why not. Down the road if the results are not as you wish you can consider an alternative. There are many tools available for weight loss and glad that you found something that works for you. Congratulation on your weight loss.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I find hypnotherapy works *together* with something else... I haven't used it for weight loss, but I used it (and still do) for stress after a breakdown and to help me sleep.

Hypnotherapy along with a calorie deficit/exercise (tried the affirmations while walking/running/cycling? Might be a good idea, too!) should, if it works for you, come at the issue from both sides - the physical and the mental aspect.

For me, it's actually the calming nature of being talked to (and as a result, I can only listen to female hypnotherapists; males put me on edge, no clue why) not what is being said, but that's fine by me as that's what I want! As a result, I don't know if the weight loss ones would "work" on me, as such, but if over-eating is stress related, it certainly would.

Best of luck with it all. If it works, great! Just remember to explore other options for weight loss as well as hypnotherapy, as it may not work forever... :)
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis helps me a bit. I also went to acupuncture when I was starting my journey to give me a jump start. They're not magic, but helped get me in the right frame of mind.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    After reading the last couple of posts, I thought I should add that I am back here tracking at myfitnesspal because with the huge increase in exercising (I average 6-7 hrs per week of intense exercise), my appetite increased and I had no idea what I was supposed to do or whether I was eating enough. After tracking for only the last two days, I can say that I'm fairly certain I wasn't eating enough and although the counting seems to go against what the hypnosis was all about, I think I can use it as a very helpful extra tool for myself.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    [click] And you're back in the room
  • sharonrich13
    sharonrich13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis does address emotional eating. I know that I am an emotional eater and it has calmed me around food. It has helped me realize that I don't need to eat to fill that void. I have found it to be amazing in that area. It may not be the answer for everyone, but it is an added tool in the weight loss arena.
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I tried it before I came to MyFitnessPal. It didn't work for me at all, apart from losing maybe 3lbs which I guess I would've lost anyway with the regime I was then following. I worked it out that it cost me around £90 for each pound in weight lost - not a particularly good return on my money. I told a friend of mine that I was doing it - a good friend, who has known me for around 20 years, and is never less than honest with me. And she said, "You really think this will work on you? You are the most self-aware person I know, and if you think that you can be "fooled" into thinking you've had a gastric band fitted, you've got another think coming!".

I went to one more session, put on 2lbs (very disheartened at this point) and so after that emailed the guy and said that I wouldn't be coming back after being very disappointed in the results to date. And what really p'd me off is that he never even bothered to reply. To me, that said an awful lot about him and his methods.

And then two months later, discovered MFP, and never looked back. I have logged in for every one of the 516 days since, never missed a day or a meal logged in.

But, having said all that, if it works for you, great and I'm really pleased for you.:flowerforyou: