Just want to give up :(

Options
Completely sick of doing this stupid thing now. I can't even really call it a diet cause it isn't one.
I was doing so well and i managed to lose 50lb but now i'm just lagging. I can't be bothered to keep logging stuff, or i'm going WAY over my calories everyday and just blagging it off. It doesn't help that eating ANYTHING is making me really sick and i'm waiting to go see a consultant about it cause every time i eat i'm getting horrendous stomach cramps or pains in my side. And i'm on various tablets to try and deal with all my problems. I'm also doing this relatively alone which i hate :( my husband isn't really interested in a diet he's a steak and potato kind of person. He loves his meat and chips too much and cause we're on a strict budget for food we can't afford to many luxuries and by this i mean fresh fruit and veg. We occasionally buy frozen veg (mainly diced onion, mushrooms and spinach) but no matter what we try and do with it, it always comes out slimy and foul. Unless we treat ourselves to some cauliflower cheese once in a blue moon. I also can't cook so my husband makes all the meals which means although i have input i have to make sure it's something he will eat as well and not 'rabbit food' as he's called it in the past. We also don't eat very often. IF we are lucky we have 1 meal a day and fluids throughout the day, maybe lunch but it's not very often. And i'll sometimes maybe 1-2 a month have some fruits to snack on but again it depends on what money we have at the time.
I'm also physically disabled so exercise is a pain....literally. I have to be really careful what i do because one wrong move and i'm either in hospital for a few days or bed ridden. Last time i tried pushing myself too much i ended up in hospital with a chest infection and gastroenteritis. The time before that i was in hospital for almost a week! And if i remember correctly i'd been trying to do at least 20mins of exercise i day! Impact exercise of ANY kind is a massive no for me. I have completely flat feet i am missing both the traverse arch (the one by the ball of your feet) and the inner longitudinal arch (the one of the inner of the feet) which means i am basically walking on all the joints/nerves/blood supply to my toes which is INCREDIBLY painful and is currently being treated. My Achilles tendon instead of being straight is also shaped like a banana so my feet aren't straight. I am also hopefully going to start physiotherapy soon to see if they can help because i'm fed up of not being able to exercise.
I turn 26 next week and i just can't be bothered with it any more. Completely lost my motivation to do this and it makes me really sad :(

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You've lost 50lbs, that's surely going to have made a positive impact on your health. You must have been doing something right to have lost that much weight. What has changed now?

There's nothing wrong with meat and potatoes, just be aware of your portions and fit them into your daily goal. You just have to make do with what you can afford and can manage to prepare and eat.

If your husbands cooking always turns out "slimy and foul" then why not take up cooking yourself. Learn some new recipes. There are plenty of resources on line for those living on a tight food budget.

I hope you have a good physician who can help you with your other health problems.
  • WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to offer you a *hug* Sounds like you've got some pretty big challenges but you've managed to lose 50 pounds even with all that going on? I'd like to know how, you've come a long way. It's okay to vent. Feel free to friend me if you want cooking tips, I'm pretty good.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Aww!!! Eating healthy is expensive, unfortunately. Is there any way to reduce your other expenses? I'm not sure what country you are in, but could you cut your television bill? Phones? Entertainment? It's hard, I know.

You say meat and potato, would he switch to sweet potatoes? Can you change your bread and pasta to whole wheat? White rice to brown?

I don't buy frozen spinach because it does get soggy and gross. Try broccoli and cauliflower, squash, Brussel sprouts. They hold up better. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    No, you don't want to give up!

It's at this point that you just have to dig deeper into your energy reserves. You've done fantastically. You may be at a point where you need expert advice. Seek out a Registered Dietitian. I have a fantastic one!
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    Here's an easy and cheap way to make some breakfast. :) Just buy a bag of frozen fruit at your local store. It's way less expensive than fresh fruit, and it lasts way longer. Anyways, get a big bag of the mixed fruit of your choosing and put some together in a blender then bam, you have a healthy fruit smoothie breakfast. You can accompany that with some toast and jam. Trust me, it's really filling, and it surprisingly gives you tons of energy. No need for that over caloric, sugar and cream based coffee! :D Hope you try it. Good luck. Don't give up.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If your husbands cooking always turns out "slimy and foul" then why not take up cooking yourself. Learn some new recipes. There are plenty of resources on line for those living on a tight food budget.

I think i didn't type it right. My husbands cooking is fantastic! He's an amazing cook, but whenever we use frozen veg it comes out HORRIBLE. We've tried frying it, defrosting it and then cooking it and various other things and it's always slimy and horrid. I absolutely HATE cooking and i can't stand up long enough to do it anyway as i tend to pass out if i stand up for more than a few minutes and have to sit down straight away. We did get a adapted chair to try and help but it's really uncomfortable so i can't use it and we gave it back to OT
  • LessIsMoreCB
    LessIsMoreCB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You took the time to tell your story for a reason, you still want this. You know deep down it's worth it and it works. You've got more than your share of challenges, we all do here, they are just different for each of us. We're not here because it is easy or convinient, it's HARD! It doesn't get easier but neither does life and if you have long term health problems it will be like shooting yourself in the foot if you stop the good habits that you have started already. DON'T GIVE UP! YOU ARE NOT ALONE! You can move past these feelings of doubt and feel that great feeling that came with the 50lb loss.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Aww!!! Eating healthy is expensive, unfortunately. Is there any way to reduce your other expenses? I'm not sure what country you are in, but could you cut your television bill? Phones? Entertainment? It's hard, I know.

You say meat and potato, would he switch to sweet potatoes? Can you change your bread and pasta to whole wheat? White rice to brown?

I don't buy frozen spinach because it does get soggy and gross. Try broccoli and cauliflower, squash, Brussel sprouts. They hold up better. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:

I live in the UK. We don't have a TV, we managed to cut our bills by getting the lowest rate phone and internet we could. I'm the only one with a mobile phone (£13.99 a month) so that saves on that bill, our electric and gas are on meters because we couldn't pay the bill monthly. We have had sweet potato in the past, the problem we're also having is i'm unable to eat certain fruits and veg. I'm also wheat/egg and dairy intollerant. I have REALLY severe IBS and they are testing me for possible Crohn's as i've lost so much weight with very little effort. We do try and have brown/whole wheat bread when we can afford it but it's cheaper to buy the 79p white ASDA smart price one unfortunately. We also don't really eat rice or pasta. We do eat beans and stuff when we can. I love broccoli and cauliflower but it doesn't agree with me, so i have to have it in small doses. I also don't do well with ANY citrus or fruit juice, seeded fruits, tomatoes, carrot, peas etc it really sucks cause i grew up always eating strawberries, apples, bananas, bean pods, celery, tomato but they always made me ill and now i know why lol. I'm hoping that when i go and see the Gastro consultant in July they can help me cause i miss my fruit and veg :(
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Clearly your diet is quite restrictive, but the beauty of this program is that it's all about portions. If you can't do the fruits and veggies right now, so be it. Watch your portions on the meat and potatoes. Squash may be a good bet for you. It's easy on the stomach. There are several varieties, many preparations to choose from, and they aren't very expensive. As for your bread, see if your husband would make it from scratch. Bread is pretty easy. You can do several loaves at a time and freeze them. I never buy bread anymore.

Don't give up! You've come a long way and you can do this. Finding ways to adjust your diet to work with your calorie counts is the key here.