So what is Yoga?

Options
Plain and simple. What does it do for you? Is it hard? Does it burn calories? Strength train?
I am clueless about it and was wondering if I should incorporate in to my workout routine.

Replies

• chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've only tried yoga a few times, so I am far from being an expert. It's a lot harder than it looks and seems like it would help you strengthen (core, mostly) and increase flexibility. It obviously burns calories, but I would have no idea how many. I say, if you're curious, give it a shot. It can't hurt.

Edit: In addition to the strength and flexibility benefits, there's also a mental aspect to yoga -- relaxation/taking control of your body. Some say it's a great stress reliever, but it just wasn't for me.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yoga can do many things for you:
    help reduce tension
    help increase your flexibility and range of motion
    help increase your core strength
    help you learn to be within your body as opposed to use your body

A lot will depend on where you go to the yoga class, what type of yoga class it is, and who the instructor is.
    Gyms will focus on yoga that seems more like a fitness class
    Yoga studios will offer a big range of yoga classes, but often have a "focus" on a style.

It's a tough workout for me.

I'd go with an open mind and try it a few different times and a few different ways before you make a decision on whether or not it's for you.

[/My 2 pennies]
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    There are many types of yoga, so it depends on what you want to get out of it. I do 45 minutes of power yoga 3 times a week at a studio, so I'm getting a good core workout with stretching. I'm burning about 170 calories during those sessions, but for me, it's more about improving my running than the calories. I burn plenty of calories with cross-country skiing and running.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, I think I am going to give it a try tomorrow evening. They offer a class at my gym on Tuesdays. I plan on running my usual 3 miles before and then Yoga afterwards. Im actually excited to try this new "workout"
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yoga can help you build strength and flexibility. There are different kinds of yoga. Some are very meditative and relaxing and some are not. I do a modified form of yoga (DDP yoga) that has an emphasis on keeping your heart rate up a bit. I am not the Zen/meditation type, so it really appeals to me but maybe not to everyone.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    help reduce tension

A lot will depend on where you go to the yoga class, what type of yoga class it is, and who the instructor is.
    Yoga studios will offer a big range of yoga classes, but often have a "focus" on a style.

I'd go with an open mind and try it a few different times and a few different ways before you make a decision on whether or not it's for you.

[/My 2 pennies]

^ This and then some...
    Yoga is as hard as you want it to be. There is no 'learning', because there doesn't seem to be an end to improvement. You just keep on practicing. There is a reason that people make this a life long thing. I started due to an injury and 'nothing else to train', and I allowed myself to get sucked into it. Practicing certain different poses has greatly restored the range of motion in various joints, and my balance has also improved. While yoga isn't exactly a muscle builder, it is still a great body weight workout on non-lifting days for me.
    Have fun!
  • ninav1980
    Options
    help reduce tension

[/My 2 pennies]

^ This and then some...
    Yoga is as hard as you want it to be. There is no 'learning', because there doesn't seem to be an end to improvement. You just keep on practicing. There is a reason that people make this a life long thing. I started due to an injury and 'nothing else to train', and I allowed myself to get sucked into it. Practicing certain different poses has greatly restored the range of motion in various joints, and my balance has also improved. While yoga isn't exactly a muscle builder, it is still a great body weight workout on non-lifting days for me.
    Have fun!

Thanks! I am liking what I am reading more and more! I have a very active fitness schedule and sometimes my body is just completely worn out. Im thinking this will assist with my overall core strenth and will also relieve some pressure on days that I am simply too worn out to do my strenth training.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga off and on for years. I've always scored super low on the flexibility

For me - it's all about the instructor. I took a 6 week class when I was 240 pounds and the teacher was amazing! I didn't know I had signed up for an intermediate class! She showed me variations and used props like no other. She was encouraging and kind. It was more a physical positive body boost for me.

Other instructors had a guided meditation and that turned out to be a de-stress boost.

Recently, I started hot yoga. And dang...it's HOT! But my best bud wanted to go and it has turned out to be pretty ok, it's always the same workout but we've had 3 different instructors and get different levels of assistance.

I've also had some classes that were 'eh'. And sometimes they can be long. 90 minutes is a long long time. lol
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Here's some basic information for you : http://yoga.about.com/od/beginningyoga/a/whatisyoga.htm

I am a yoga instructor myself and it is basically a way to connect the body, mind, and soul. It not only strengthens the body and makes you more flexible, but it creates peace and love from within! This is SO important in the journey on weight loss I believe, because if you don't love yourself and find your strength/balance within your body , then it will be harder to achieve your goals in the end and stick with them!

I suggest combining yoga with other exercise as well, to increase weight loss. A typical yoga class burns between 150-200 calories depending on the intensity and type of yoga class you take. Hatha yoga is more gentle usually and good for beginners. Vinyasa or Ashtanga is a little more challenging with some vigorous movement and balancing poses, but can also be good for beginners if they take a level 1 class. Power Yoga and Hot yoga or Bikram are another step up in intensity. I suggest trying a few different styles and see what you like! You can even do a Restorative class if you just want to de-stress and get a feel for a yoga class with little or no intense movements (It's more meditative).

Hope this helps! :)
    Nicole
  • ninav1980
    Options
    update!
    Just tried my first class last night! It was perfect and just what I needed to add to my routine! I ran 3 miles before class because I wanted to get in some cardio as well. The yoga was a great compliment to round out my fitness for the day. I found out that I am significantly stronger on my right leg than my left, but I guess thats normal. Hoping Yoga will help balance me out a bit more :)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I find yoga is good for my mind and body. It improves my focus and ability to stay in the moment. Physically, it strengthens my core muscles and all the other muscles in my body while also stretching. I wouldn't say it's aerobic, although a series of sun salutations will get my pulse up and really burns my arms and core.
    The best benefit that I've found is that it's really good for proper breathing and helps my scuba diving.
    Depending on the type of yoga class it can be a vigorous workout or calming.
  • Zuheyyy
    Zuheyyy Posts: 1
    Options
    I started Yoga this week and so far I'm loving it! Last night's class has me a bit sore today. I know the average yoga class (Hatha and Vinyasa) burn about 240 calories per hour, but can you tell me how many calories are burned in Hot Yoga? Tonight is my first class.