eating meat/fish again after 14 years of being vegetarian

Options
shell0891
shell0891 Posts: 14 Member
Hi, well without going into major detail as ive already posted about my issues on another post, I am currently needing to gain around 20lbs for health reasons, I am a recovering anorexic/bullimic. My question here is does anyone have experience of eating meat and/or fish again after being a vegetarian for a long time? Right now, well no, for the last few months I have been thinking about eating tuna and possibly chicken again because I am really struggling to get enough protein in my current diet. Being honest the thought of it makes me feel sick but I'm fed up of feeling so unwell a lot of the time and I really do just want to be healthy again. I was never a massive meat eater even before, I've never eaten a steak in my life and I never ever will, same goes for chicken off the bone, ribs and other really for want of a better way of putting it 'meaty' things, prior to being vegetarian it was more sliced sandwich meat, chicken breast, minced meat and tuna I ate. I cant bring myself to do it despite reading a lot of online blogs regarding this so I guess I'm looking for other's experiences and possibly encouragement that it won't make me a terrible animal eating person because as dumb as it may sound I genuinely feel torn between my health and my belief that to eat an animal knowing how much it suffered is wrong. im looking forward to hearing from other people on this, thank you. X

Replies

• thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My sister was veg for many years and recently started incorporating meat. She still can't eat pork without feeling sick, but she can eat other things.

First, take it slow. The bacteria in your gut that helps break down meat will be in low supply so if you had a meat binge you would hate life for DAYS afterwards. Start with just a couple of ounces of baked chicken and fish and if that doesn't cause any gastric distress, try a little more.

I wish you luck. Remember that change is a process, not an event. It will take time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can't you just add more dairy to your diet instead?
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for verging on 9 years now and I am also a recovered anorexic. There have been times when I felt like it would benefit my health to start eating meat again, but I could never bring myself to do it because I hate the texture - like you when I was a meat eater I stuck to things that were quite processed and not particularly "meaty". After some wavering & some times when I really wanted to begin eating meat, I decided not to. If you're worried about meeting your nutritional needs then there are ways to do it without eating meat. I take iron tablets & multivitamins. I also eat meat "replacement" foods like Quorn products which provide me with protein & I supplement my diet with protein shakes (don't be scared of these, they're not just for people who are bulking up, they're also a great way for people who don't get enough protein in their normal diet to get a better amount). I'm not trying to put you off eating meat again, but I thought I should reply having been in a similar situation myself. Since recovering I have gained about 2 stone/28lbs over a period of years. If you decide you want to start eating meat, I would ease yourself in gently, both for the psychological impact it will have & also the impact it will have when your body has not been used to digesting meat for 14 years. Start by eating broths or soups made with meat & then you can work your way up, starting with things you used to enjoy when you were a meat-eater. However, I would still advocate that if it's something you don't want to do, or don't feel comfortable with, then don't do it. You can have a perfectly healthy & nutritious diet that will help you to gain the weight you need whilst still being a vegetarian.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

The above thread gives examples of protein sources and includes vegan and vegetarian sources. I'm not going to comment on what you should or should not do since that is between you and your doctor. If you want to increase your meat consumption, find sources that you can live with. Being a meat eater does not make you dirty. Do you have the option to purchase meat from someone locally, either a farmer or butcher?
  • justjen4lyfe
    Options
    I did this last summer. After 14 years exactly.

I can eat chicken without problem. And I'll also occasionally have pork--again, with no problems.

Seafood, however, is a different story. More often than not, it makes me sick, or else I break out in hives. I never had this reaction prior to going veggie. So I've been avoiding it.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

The above thread gives examples of protein sources and includes vegan and vegetarian sources. I'm not going to comment on what you should or should not do since that is between you and your doctor. If you want to increase your meat consumption, find sources that you can live with. Being a meat eater does not make you dirty. Do you have the option to purchase meat from someone locally, either a farmer or butcher?

This. Especially is it's just about the protein - there are many vegans that are able to meet their protein requirements without meat. I think it's going to be very hard to overcome your feeling about eating meat - they seem really strong. I think it would be easier to develop a taste for the alternative protein sources. Best of luck.
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was a vegetarian for several years and then started eating meat again (same reason as you -- she was always sick and her doctor basically told her she needs to eat meat or she's not going to feel much better). She started off with chicken. Try putting a few pieces of chicken breast in a salad or over rice, so you're not making the meat your main dish. Once you get used to eating meat again and your body adjusts, you can increase the amounts and/or try new meats. My friend now eats chicken, turkey, steaks, burgers, and bacon with no problem. It took her a while to get used to the texture, but she started feeling a lot better when she reintroduced meat into her diet.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I can't provide any comments about starting to eat meat again after being a vegetarian but a few things did jump out at me that I wanted to comment on. Perhaps it will help you as you make the transition.
    I am really struggling to get enough protein in my current diet.

You probably already know, but keep in mind animals are not the only source of protein. There are several vegan protein powders made from rice, peas, or hemp and you could use whey or egg proteins if you aren't vegan. Also skim milk if you do dairy. If simply getting protein is your goal, these things can help.
    my belief that to eat an animal knowing how much it suffered is wrong. im looking forward to hearing from other people on this, thank you. X

I've heard / read of some people being able to eat locally sourced meat since they know it hasn't lived a factory farmed life on a feedlot. Most local farms like this will let you visit and see how they treat the animals. How about eggs? Perhaps a first step is to visit a local farm that sells eggs and make sure their hens are free range and are treated well.

It seems to me that there isn't a reason you have to eat animals. There's a lot of debate around whether or not they are an ideal source of nutrition but I believe vitamin B12 is the only thing I have heard of that needs to be supplemented on a vegetarian or vegan diet.

At any rate, hopefully you are working with a proper nutritionist and Dr. to get you healthy.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Would it make you feel any better about it if you got the meat from a place that treated the animals well? That requires a significant amount of research on your part (I'm sure you know how misleading labels are) but would be worth it.

Be careful with beef - start with small amounts and work up. I'd been eating a mostly veggie diet for a while when I started cooking for & eating with my grandparents once a week - cooking veggie for them wasn't an option if I wanted them to eat it. Beef would give me horrible indigestion, chicken wasn't a problem.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You can supplement protein with veggie "meats", shakes, questbars, beans ect You don't have to eat meat for protein especially if the thought makes you feel sick. Gaining weight is eating more calories than you burn. Adding meat in your diet won't make you gain weight just as going vegetarian doesn't make you lose weight
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 8 years, and pescetarian for the last 12 years. I ate meat last year, having developed a strong craving for it when I took up weight training. I stuck to chicken breasts mostly, ready cooked, but also had steak sometimes. I always got it from Marks & Spencers where the farm name was on the packaging. But I felt uncomfortable with it still, just the idea of biting into the flesh of a thing that had been running around alive and stopped again at Xmas. I still eat seafood and fish, generally salmon, prawns, tuna steak and white fish, as I do not seem to have the same issues with that. But you can get protein from vegetarian sources well enough...Quorn is very high protein and you can have full fat cottage cheese and eggs, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, tempeh...even oatmeal and bread contain some protein. Greek yoghurt is another easy source, if you get the proper stuff like Fage Total.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Sorry, haven't read the other replies.

I was vegetarian for 10+ years (actually lost count) and went back to eating meat about 3 months ago.

It took me a little while to work up to eating meat - mainly by picking bits off my boyfriends plate (he encouraged it, it's not food theft ;)). I am at the stage now where I can handle and prepare my own chicken - I actually prefer it as I can slice off any sinewy bits or other bits that look suspect.

I'm OK with beef, and really like lamb, but tend to eat it in (good quality) burger form. I also always get the free range, farm shop stuff as the idea of eating poor quality meat is repulsive. I usually cook it in the oven with a drip tray under it to let the fat leak out. Pork sausages are OK but not my favourite.

I still have days where, for whatever reason, I don't eat any. I do think it's improved my diet overall as I was eating mainly pasta and rice dishes as a vegetarian. Now I find it easy to put a piece of meat in the oven alongside a dish of veggies for roasting.

My stomach didn't react badly to re-introduction, which I suspect is because I always ate cheese so animal protein was hardly new.