What am I doing wrong?

Options
I have only lost 2lbs this past month after changing my eating and exercising 5 days a week. I am eating a low carb, high protein, high fat diet, staying around 1400 calories per day. I am also working out anywhere from 30-50 minutes 5 days a week. I am doing JM Body Revolution along with using my elliptical.

I would like to lose at least 20lbs in the next 3 months. Suggestions PLEASE!

I am 36, 5'3, 156 lbs. (Had a baby 2 months ago). Goal weight of 130.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    2 lbs in a month isnt bad for someone with 25 lbs to lose, just be patient. just make sure thats your counts are accurate, and that you arent over-estimating the calories burned during your workouts

20 lbs in 3 months may be a little unrealistic unfortunately, thats over a lb a week which can be tough for someone who is only slightly overweight
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything? Open your diary.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You only had your baby 2 months ago! Are you breast feeding?
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    2 lbs in a month isnt bad for someone with 25 lbs to lose, just be patient. just make sure thats your counts are accurate, and that you arent over-estimating the calories burned during your workouts

20 lbs in 3 months may be a little unrealistic unfortunately, thats over a lb a week which can be tough for someone who is only slightly overweight

Thanks, I will have to start weighing my food I think. I do use a HRM during exercise. I thought I was creating at least a 500 calorie deficit each day, but maybe I'm not...
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    You only had your baby 2 months ago! Are you breast feeding?

No I am not breastfeeding. He is 10 weeks old. I have been exercising for 4 weeks. I was hoping for a pound a week loss.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I also think the issue is with your food. It is very easy to overestimate the calories consumed. Here is a great place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mammaminor
    mammaminor Posts: 31
    Options
    If you just had a baby 2 months ago, your body is still working hormones out of your system and holding on to calories. If you breastfeed, you'll burn extra calories, and make sure you're eating enough. If your deficit is too large you could be entering starvation mode, especially since breastfeeding burns hundreds of calories in and of itself.
    Also, if you were going easy on yourself during pregnancy (as it should be!) you could be losing fat and gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. :D
  • runnrgirl74
    runnrgirl74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've gained back the 30+ after my last pregnancy but for me I worked out religiously (kickboxing, running, strength training) and it took 2 months before the weight started dropping off but my inches went down during those 2 months are you measuring that? My water intake had to go up too. I'm back it now (only running at the time but about to add back in kickboxing, ST and spin) and for me water intake really can affect my losses, if I'm too low my weight barely budges. However, weight loss is an individual thing. I will say to switch up your workouts. As your body gets efficient at them you burn less calories. I found this out when I was running only long distances (13-27 miles at a time) and I couldn't get my weight to budge.

Good luck, it's so much easier putting it on then getting it off, but hard work and determination will get you to your goal! I also agree to measure and weigh everything you log in your food diary! Even little snacks.
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat but helps you burn fat faster, I am not sure about the body revolution program but I do the JM 30 day shred and I've definitely noticed the pounds are coming off slower since I started but the inches are still coming off and I'm gaining some visible muscles. My suggestion is that you get a measuring tape and start measuring your waist, hips, thighs and bust every 2 weeks
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think .5 a week loss is just fine, as you don't have much to lose. Plus it does take some time after giving birth, for your body to adjust.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. If you are in a caloric deficit you will lose barring any underlying medical conditions or hormonal imbalances. You cannot gain muscle while in a deficit, except for some newbie gains for those who are extremely obese. For those doing programs such as 30DS what you are seeing is the underlying muscle because you are losing body fat, you are not gaining muscle. It's not that easy.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. If you are in a caloric deficit you will lose barring any underlying medical conditions or hormonal imbalances. You cannot gain muscle while in a deficit, except for some newbie gains for those who are extremely obese. For those doing programs such as 30DS what you are seeing is the underlying muscle because you are losing body fat, you are not gaining muscle. It's not that easy.

So if I can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit, but I'm losing fat, then I should be losing weight. Unless I am just retaining water everyday....
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you may start weighing food.....

VERY Good chance you are underestimating how much you are eating.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

So if I can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit, but I'm losing fat, then I should be losing weight. Unless I am just retaining water everyday....

No you are just not in a deficit or a deficit large enough to please you.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Indeed. Most of the "failures" to manage weight are just due to inaccuracy. Inaccuracy estimating intake, expenditure, metabolic rate, actual daily activity, etc.
  • dewsmom78
    Options

Indeed. Most of the "failures" to manage weight are just due to inaccuracy. Inaccuracy estimating intake, expenditure, metabolic rate, actual daily activity, etc.

Ok, I think you may be right. I will start weighing all of my food...
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Starvation mode ISN'T a myth, but it IS over-used and is usually unlikely. You will go into starvation mode if you have far too much of a deficit, but that usually takes an extreme defect for a prolonged period of time (as in netting 50% of necessary BMR calories for many days in a row). If I have a super high burn day on a regular consumption day, I won't go into starvation mode, but if I put a large deficit on my BMR (my BMR is ~1600 - so if I went to eat like only 900-1000 cals/day and THEN workout pretty hard) for several days in a row (like 2 weeks straight), I MIGHT go into starvation mode.

I agree with others - start measuring your food (preferably by weight!). It's the best way to start seriously recording your data. According to your numbers, you're eating at a very strong deficit for your activity, so as long as you ACCURATELY log both your food and exercise, you should be losing. If you eat back your exercise calories, try eating back half and see where you go.