Food combinations that you regret trying?

Options
girlr94
girlr94 Posts: 38 Member
Last weekend I decided to go home for a few days, but I needed to use up a few things at uni that wouldn't survive the weekend. I needed to use up cottage cheese, and I was on a massive Nutella binge at the time, and I'd heard that cottage cheese goes well with sweet foods as well as savoury like fruit. So, as my go-to treat at the time was waffles with nutella and berries, I decided to try waffles with nutella cottage cheese and berries. (basically because I'd allowed myself to buy a jar of Nutella, which in hindsight probably wasn't the best idea because the stuff is like crack so its hard to eat it in moderation for long).

Biiiig mistake. Not only was the combination of nutella and cottage cheese disgusting, it ruined the lovely rest of the meal and felt like a complete waste of the ingredients, and of calories. I could have used those ingredients separately and made a much nicer, healthier snack. In fact, I probably would have just had the cottage cheese with savoury stuff instead, as the waffles, berries and nutella would have easily lasted the weekend.

Anyway, it got me thinking, you guys must have some unusual combinations you've tried before that you regret? I'm sure we'd all love to hear them. The weirder the better I suppose! I know my nutella/ cottage cheese combo isn't completely insane, but it's definitely not an experience I'd like to repeat!

Replies

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I had the marvellous notion to make peanut butter macaroni when I was 15. I really don't recommend it!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My friend gave me a recipe for roasted chickpeas, grapes, and Brussels sprouts. It was not good.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My dad once made spaghetti with marinara and meatballs that had liver mixed in. That was 30 years ago and I still bear the scars.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I tried adding a scoup of vanilla whey protein powder to my cereal and it was horrendous. Not sure if it's because I'm using unsweetened almond milk so it wasn't enough to cover the taste or whatnot but it was just so bitter, bleh. Yuck yuck yuck.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    For a while, I had trouble comprehending sweet things in cottage cheese as well. Nowadays it does sound more appealing, but I haven't gone so far as to actually try it yet.
  • SarErb
    SarErb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Growing up the only way we ate cottage cheese was with apple butter, but I'm not a fan of the texture now.

The worst thing I've made was a banana nut bread with honey instead of sugar from a FB recipe claiming to be the "Best Banana Bread - Ever" - GROSS.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I tried roasted chickpeas with sriracha and honey. The recipe had great reviews but it was terrible. To this day just the thought of chickpeas makes me want to puke :sick:
  • skinnyginny792
    skinnyginny792 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OHH SO FUNNY, steampunksong! Love this comment! My daughter will love it too!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and pickle sandwich. My friend's mother made me one when I was 12 and I didn't want to be rude by refusing. Everyone in her family love's the stupid things...but they are just gross and wrong.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this counts as a combination so much as a REALLY BAD flavor idea.

Cold Stone used to have a Wasabi ice cream. It was awful.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Jello and cottage cheese. Two things I love separately... but together? EW. Those textures should never mix.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sriracha in a rum and coke.

Made a friend drink it, but the smell still haunts me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't hate bacon, but pretty much anything + bacon is gross to me. Cheeseburgers, salads, etc. I rarely eat bacon but I think it can be delicious on its own, as part of a breakfast meal or something. I just don't like it mixed in with other foods.

More recently, I had a lot of calories left at the end of the evening so I thought I'd have a nice piece of toast with raspberry jam and then wanted to make it even more yummy with a little marshmallow crème and 3-4 cashews. In my mind it would be kind of like the toast version of Baskin Robbins Baseball Nut ;-P It was gross. It just tasted like sugar - which of course it mainly was. No thanks.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had the marvellous notion to make peanut butter macaroni when I was 15. I really don't recommend it!

well, depending on how it was done, it could be done properly. If there was cheese involved, all bets are off, but if it is macaroni with a peanut butter sauce however - take the peanut butter, mix in a little ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and some type of wine vinegar and you have cold noodles :)
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    yogurt and Kiwi
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    hot dog spaghetti casserole
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ETA: Forgot to quote the above user who does whey in cereal.

I do this all the time!

I wouldn't recommend a whole scoop...like a half or 3/4 serving instead. It might help that I use Cellucor's Cinnamon Swirl. I haven't had much luck with vanilla whey that actually tastes good.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Oh I had been on Medifast for an eternity (a month or two), and it became more and more difficult to choke down reconstituted powdered food packets… one that I found particularly bad was the “blueberry oatmeal,” which was a new flavor for me.

I was DEDICATED so this being the only packet of food I had to eat for the next four hours, I heated the water and stirred the grey matter into it. One taste made me gag. I added more water (maybe that would help) and no, it was nasty AND runny now. I let it sit for a minute or two to congeal again, which it did. I was desperate and hungry by this point, so I added a bunch of hot sauce to cover the nasty flavor of the “food,” and to burn my tongue enough to avoid experiencing the texture, which looking back, makes me think of a constipated baby… That experience ended my Medifast diet run...
  • Brumhilda
    Brumhilda Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My two girls both love peanutbutter and mayo sandwiches. Tried it once. That is nasty!
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My mom, sister and I were at the table playing cards (loong time ago). Someone brought in french fries and we had just had some peanut butter on crackers. My sister dipped a french fry in the peanut butter and started raving about it. So I did the same thing. Yeah, it was gross, but we pulled it off as fantastic until the point where my mother dipped her french fry in the peanut butter and took a bite.

Totally disgusting.

She laughed it off and learned we are not as sweet and lovable as she thought.