How to be supprtive?

Options
My lovely fiance has made acommitment to weight loss. He joined a family weight loss competition, and the pourse will be over $80. I really think he can win.

I asked him what he wants me to do, and he said he wants me to be encouraging.

Which is simple.

Except I really don't know how. I was raised by critical people, and I am pretty critical myself. I have a really hard time praising others, especially when there is more to be done.

I, myself, have lost over 100#, and know how much encouragement means, and he was really there for me. He deserves for me to get out of my comfort zone to encourage him.

But I don't know how! How do I encourage him without being critical OR patronizing? What should I do?

Opinions on men would be most helpul, since it's a man who needs encouraging,

Thanks!

Replies

• Sarah_Likes_Cookies
    Options
    My lovely fiance has made acommitment to weight loss. He joined a family weight loss competition, and the pourse will be over $80. I really think he can win.

Which is simple.

Except I really don't know how. I was raised by critical people, and I am pretty critical myself. I have a really hard time praising others, especially when there is more to be done.

I, myself, have lost over 100#, and know how much encouragement means, and he was really there for me. He deserves for me to get out of my comfort zone to encourage him.

But I don't know how! How do I encourage him without being critical OR patronizing? What should I do?

Thanks!

You might be critical to those you care about, but hey, you're nice about it :p I really think you'll be supportive in your own way =]
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    Men are simple. Treat him like a dog. Give praise when he's successful, and when he doubts himself or falls off the wagon, tell him you believe in him, remind him of past successes.

Since you're a critical person, try hard not to be food & workout cop! lol...that will probably piss him off.
    "Honey, you're on a diet, you don't need that brownie <pick up brownie off his plate and eat it> <
    don't do that! :-)

goodluck
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Preaching to the choir!!! My family wasn't as supportive of efforts growing up either. They'd say, "I'm proud of you" in a way as if to say, "I would expect no less....." - as if "That's what I expect you to do."

Ugh. It never seemed very genuine to me. People (PARTICULARLY MEN) don't only want to know if they did great, but how they did great.....was there anything in particular that you noticed that was great? They really are like peacocks wanting to show off the plumage.

This is going to seem like a rabbit trail but hear me out...when my oldest daughter was little, for some reason she'd think we (my husband and I) were upset with her for some reason when we weren't. Don't know why or what gave her that idea, but that's how she thought. SO - every night at bedtime, I'd think of three things that were positive I could say about her. I'd tell her, "you know, I really appreciated it when you got me that box of tissues. That was a really big help! I really had to blow my nose, and couldn't have done it without your help!!" and "I really liked it when you helped me clean up the living room. It would have taken me a really long time without your help. You were awesome!!" It really did help ease her mind. She's pretty sensitive.

I've found that my husband is sort of the same way - I need to find things he does that are awesome. The more stuff I acknowledge, the more stuff he finds to do. It's hysterical.

Right now, he's just started up P90X on Saturday, and he's logged on MFP the last few days too. SO, I tell him he's awesome for logging his stuff, and will just ask how his day went. Since we're both on the wagon, then it's become a bit easier to have conversations. THey'll become easier for you guys too. Like the P90X stuff....I don't know how he does it - that would seriously kick my @ss. I tell him that. When you start noticing the definition, you promote that. Be genuine about it of course - don't just be blowing smoke.

When you guys are talking about stuff ask him if he has any tricks of the trade that he's found helpful - maybe it's something you want to do too.

You can each have your own paths and still be respectful of each other's efforts. We don't push each other to exercise at the same times. If it works out that we're at the gym at the same time, then great, if not, then that's okay too.

For what it's worth....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    While nice, I don't think verbal praise & encouragement has to be the only way.

Do the two of you live together and/or eat meals together regularly?

My husband and I have both lost a lot of weight, and we support each other by cooking & prepping healthy, delicious food. It is so nice to take the guesswork out of meals and at the same time, encourage one another to eat well. It is also fun to indulge together in a way that's not so 'bad' at all...for example fresh fruit and a bit of ice cream can be as indulgent as a huge sundae. Little treats together.

Work out together if that's possible. I don't mean ALL THE TIME - I'm sure you both have your preferred activities and maybe different levels of fitness. Exercise time is great "me time" for many of us, and I'm not saying replace that. But take a long walk together, jog, go swimming or play a sport even if you both suck at it - we like to "play tennis" sometimes (with thrift store racquets) even though neither of us really knows what we are doing and we're thrilled to get 4-5 volleys back and forth in without one of us screwing up ;-)

Compliment him along the way. Not every day...but genuinely, when you notice small yet positive differences in his body/appearance.

Good luck and good for you wanting to support his efforts!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Men are simple. Treat him like a dog.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know there was more to this post, but that part was so funny lol
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Men are simple. Treat him like a dog.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know there was more to this post, but that part was so funny lol

It's true. I'd die for a good belly rub and someone to scratch my back.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Never leave out the O, that is the best part. :bigsmile:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Easy, I do this all the time!

Wrap your arms around him and say "I believe in you and I hope you reach every goal. Is there anything I can do to help?"

And occasionally tell him "I'm so proud of you for making your dreams come true."

It's okay to be cheesy.

When he returns slathering on the cheese it will feel so good and you won't be able to believe someone just said something that sweet to you.

:heart:
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Men are simple. Treat him like a dog. Give praise when he's successful, and when he doubts himself or falls off the wagon, tell him you believe in him, remind him of past successes.

Since you're a critical person, try hard not to be food & workout cop! lol...that will probably piss him off.
    "Honey, you're on a diet, you don't need that brownie <pick up brownie off his plate and eat it> <
    don't do that! :-)

goodluck

Its funny. The OP asks for a mans perspective and its the only valid response so far. Nice job!! :drinker:
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Compliment him along the way. Not every day...but genuinely, when you notice small yet positive differences in his body/appearance.

This is what I do, and coincidentally (or not) what I most appreciate. Out of the blue comments, "wow, you look really (great/thin/nice) today", as he's looking in the mirror checking himself before leaving for work. That kind of thing.
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would ask him to elaborate. He's asked you to be supportive, but that's so subjective. What's support to one person is meddling to another. Ask him exactly what "supportive" looks and feels like to him. Maybe he needs verbal encouragement. Maybe he needs you to help him plan and prep meals. Maybe he just needs someone to cheer him on from the sidelines. You don't really know what he wants until he tells you, though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Easy, I do this all the time!

Wrap your arms around him and say "I believe in you and I hope you reach every goal. Is there anything I can do to help?"

And occasionally tell him "I'm so proud of you for making your dreams come true."

It's okay to be cheesy.

When he returns slathering on the cheese it will feel so good and you won't be able to believe someone just said something that sweet to you.

:heart:

all of the cheez

I like it!! A lot!

(although I do think not everyone can handle it)
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Never leave out the O, that is the best part. :bigsmile:
    I was so hoping someone would point this out

giphy.gif

\m/
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "I'm proud of you for........."
    "You look fantastic!"
    "I saw you logged today, it was a great day. And YOU did that!"

Things like that, just don't add any qualifiers to the end like, "for someone your size" or "but it's only be x amount of time."

The qualifiers is where it turns from nice and encouraging to a slap in the face.

And there are actions that will be more encouraging than words. Like cooking food but writing all the measurements down for him to log.
  • KapuaK
    KapuaK Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First let me say congratulations on your weight loss and to your fiancé for making the commitment to lose weight. Think about how your fiancé supported you during your journey? What did he do to make you feel good about your accomplishments? Why not try doing those things for him? Even working out with him...that'll give you both something else to do together and help him reach toward his goal. No matter what I wish him the best! It's not easy but it's doable!
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Think of us as team oriented people. We work well given support as in positive comments. Negative comments make for doubt and raise the question...are we part of the team. So when we fail...comments like nuts...that sucked and we got it next time I believe in you...work really well...comments like ...why did you do that? tend to isolate us and make most of us extremely defensive. other than that we are simple...kind of basic. So comments like...you didn't log --- mess us up...comments like...if you remember to log it helps you keep your eye on the ball --- are really better.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For me, the most encouraging thing would be somebody who can sort of fill in the energy void on days when I'm too tired or too cranky to get excited about eating healthy or doing something active. Just someone who I can count on to say, "Hey, let's go for a walk!" or "Hey, let's try out a new recipe tonight!" when I've curled up in a chair and died for the day. Nothing pushy, no arguing about it if I won't even do that, but just a consistent little voice of encouragement when my willpower has died for the day. No cheerleaders, no drill sergeants, no guilt trips..... just a little camaraderie would do it for me.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere on the forums once that men like to encourage women to lose by paying them for pounds lost....maybe it works for men too. Or offer "favors" in return for pounds if money isn't his thing. :bigsmile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Which is simple.

Thanks!

Then cut the "more to be done" into increments.

Praise at the time that increment is achieved and it won't matter that there is "more to be done".

For instance if his goal is to walk/workout 5 times a week, rather than wait to see "if" he achieves the full 5 days (b/c there's a chance he won't ) ,,,praise him at the time of each workout.

Change YOUR mind about what his success is in a way that allows you to praise him more. Since you know that you are the one that was raised in a critical environment you need to change how you see things and what you measure as success.

So if you just hi five him or say "good workout" at each time instead of holding it for the big 5th day you might still get to encourage him along the way, maybe up to 3 or 4 times. This way when a non workout day happens his ego will be high enough it won't be such a blow, there isn't so much riding on that 5th day (that would have to be achieved under pressure, when tired, and etc).
  • trvrmagz
    trvrmagz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The verbal positive reinforcement is obviously a necessity, but I'll add a different spin for you. Sometimes I only have enough time to either go to the gym or mow the lawn. So one way to support would be to pick up some of the responsibilities that he has (cleaning, laundry, yardwork, etc.) to afford him time to do something else related to his weight loss. Making a meal and keeping the nutritional info is always super helpful as well.