The Joy of Pickles

Options
Dill pickles are awesome. I have one or two as snack in the afternoon when I get hungry. They have ZERO calories. they're high in sodium but I don't eat much sodium throughout the day so it's harmless.

I highly recommend them to keep your calorie count down.

Replies

• sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love dill pickles too! We get the giant jar from Costco for like 4 bucks. Worth it.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

First thing I thought when I read the title was, "Yeah, but what about the sodium?" I love pickles and haven't been able to limit my daily sodium yet. Working on that and then I can enjoy the goodness again.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! But ONLY Claussen brand dill pickles... They are the closest thing I've had to my grandmother's homemade ones. :D
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What I want to know is why olives have so many calories when pickles don't. Love them both, but miss the odd olive binge sometimes when I'm chowing down on pickles.

Just so you know, though: They do have calories. Just not as many as olives. FDA rules that things with less than 5 calories (I think?) can be reported as calorie free.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    my kids have them gone in two days lol
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Off to eat a Mt. Olive pickle pack now LOL....
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love eating pickles as a snack. In fact, I'm heading to the kitchen now to get some.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

First thing I thought when I read the title was, "Yeah, but what about the sodium?" I love pickles and haven't been able to limit my daily sodium yet. Working on that and then I can enjoy the goodness again.

If you're "lucky" like me, sodium is a complete non-issue. ("Lucky" - on the one hand, high blood pressure will not be an issue for me. On the other, naturally low blood pressure means getting dizzy, and now that I am controlling what I eat and even though I do not track sodium (I never even log added salt), I am definitely consuming less than I used to, and that + dropping weight means my BP is dropping back out of the "normal" range and the freezing cold extremities are returning, oh joy.)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, this title alone seriously made me LOL.

I love real pickles but they upset my stomach.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There's a reason I grow three varieties of cucumbers... pickles, pickles, pickles!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Presidents choice bread and butter pickles are crispy like a chip...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    IN.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Off to eat a Mt. Olive pickle pack now LOL....

This is the only way to eat a pickle.

Oh, and with some diet coke.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    IN.

I'm also in for The Joy of Pickles. For science.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have the book, Joy of Pickles. Lots of awesome recipes! Try making saurkraut. I really like lacto-fermented cucumbers, peppers and kimchi. You can ferment any veggie with a quart mason jar and some salt. No need for fancy gadgets like air locks.
    Now you got me thinking, think I'm going to pickle some of my squash glut!
    I also do vinegar pickles. Have a big batch of pickling yellow Hungarian Wax peppers sitting in the fridge in a gallon jar. Okra is my favorite savory pickle. Armenian cucucumbers come in a close second. I also love dilly beans.
    Sweet watermelon rind pickles are my favorite sweet pickles. I make them with a bread and butter recipe for cucumbers so they have less sugar.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why olives have so many calories when pickles don't.

I hope this is a rhetorical question. It is right?
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, this title alone seriously made me LOL.

I love real pickles but they upset my stomach.
    Try lacto-fermented. They seem less tart and less acid to me. Still well preserved. I never can my fermented peppers, I just store in the fridge. Canning them would kill all the probiotics.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why olives have so many calories when pickles don't. Love them both, but miss the odd olive binge sometimes when I'm chowing down on pickles.

Just so you know, though: They do have calories. Just not as many as olives. FDA rules that things with less than 5 calories (I think?) can be reported as calorie free.

Olives are high in fat, Good fat thats why the calories are high. I like both olives and pickles and I love salt like a fat kid loves cake.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    In...

to see if this goes anywhere fun.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Think olive oil. Yes, olives have oil in them, thus the increased calorie count.