Nerds Unite!

Options

Replies

• BeatriceBane
    Options
    Yay! My people! :D I found you!

- I work in photobooths at cons.
    - I have a half tattoo sleeve feat. Doctor Who, Stargate, BSG & a little tribute to Joss Whedon. There' s more work to be done on it!
    - I cosplay (most recently Ellen Ripley & femme Spock)
    - I'm an author of science fiction and fantasy.

Please add me!

And yes, Im completely ignoring any hate / aggravation towards this post.

As Simon Pegg once said '“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something.'
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My name is Charlie. I have collected comics from age 8. I have watched almost every super hero cartoon out there. I have watched over 40 anime series, and read about 3 hours of manga and mawhra each day at work...yes I am that dedicated. To name a few that I cam currently reading....Noblesse, Breaker of new waves,Girls of the wild, kenichi, Btooom, whenever they release, Gamer, majician, Tower of God etc... I also watch walking dead, GOT.

Would love to add some more people with the same interests as I go off topic from fitness alot.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in Firefly (am a total Browncoat), Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR (read nearly everything Tolkien wrote including his drafts ), Big Bang Theory, sci-fi books....total book nerd too.

I'm prefer geek to nerd though. I like to think I have some social skills. :laugh:
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am totally a nerd and totally okay with it. I suppose that's what happens when you're raised watching Star Wars with your dad and have a bunch of awesome like minded people in your life who encourage your fandoms :)

I love playing MMOs and played WoW from day one. I now go back at every xpac and play for a bit before I realize I haven't seen my friends in three months and unsub. Vicious, never ending cycle. Currently obsessed with Hearthstone and that's giving me the itch to go back.... eeee resist!!!

I love all things sci-fi and fantasy. I have subtle Star Trek (TNG or nothing), Star Wars and Dr Who references littered about my house, and have a room where I allow myself and my husband to go crazy with it. Yes, there is a bust of Darth Vader and a Dr Who wall mural.

I love tabletop games and have game nights at my house on the regular. I collect artwork with subtle nerdy references. I am not a cosplayer, but I get the appeal of it and why it's fun. I do, however, go to our local comic convention every year and try to put some sort of an outfit together just for the fun of it. I tried to talk my husband into going to THE Comic Con in San Diego for our five year anniversary and he's the one that had to remind me that it should be romantic or whatever. LOL :)

Pretty sure I belong in this thread.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    All right, no cheating with Google for this one...

How many people can name, from memory, the BSG scene in which Firefly's Serenity makes a cameo?
  • BeatriceBane
    Options
    Roslin. Doctor's office.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    All right, no cheating with Google for this one...

How many people can name, from memory, the BSG scene in which Firefly's Serenity makes a cameo?

ME! ooh, I can, I can!
  • segovm
    Options
    Roslin. Doctor's office.

That didn't take long!

Was worried it was just me that thought this was a pause worthy event! I feel like casting a little salute every time I see that part.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So as I look at replies I'm building Venn diagrams in my head. Finite sets of the collection of gamers, the TV show watchers, the sci-fi readers, the geeks, the toy collectors, the binary jokers, those that don't post, cos-players, the main-streamer hipster youth, ex-AD&Ders, pre-massive onl-line whatevers, a linguist, a historian ...

... and some angry dude, in the corner.

(le sigh)

I guess I'm a geek. #epiphanyofidentity

810a750dd882322f0fbd937558bc96c6.jpg

or a dork.
  • Catryx
    Catryx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like a few others, this is my very first post, although I've been a lurker for a while. I am a geek married to a geek :-) We were big WoW players, hardcore raiders during the WotLK era, but we took a break after that.
    We've been to Blizzcon twice, and to the Chicago Comicon last year. We dressed steampunk and had a blast!
    We're both big Dr. Who fans, and also diehard Firefly fans
    We have a picture of the two of us with Stan Lee in our family photo album :-)
    I'm not the most social person here, but please feel free to add me!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Cringed hard at OP's post and the replies.

Why? Not nerd enough for you? :yawn:
    No, not at all.

Just the fact that you flaunt in like "OMG I'm such a nerd!" "Nerds unite!" is pathetic imo.

Enough with the binary code, we can all google translators lol..

How is it pathetic to desire connection and companionship from like-minded people? It's refreshing to be among those with similar interests. Bonding over gaming, television shows, books, et. al, is no more pathetic than enjoying a beer with the guys, hanging at the skate park, or joining team sport.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    *waves* hi I'm Cat. I'm more a nerd in the Sci-fi/cosplay sense. But one of my major reasons for getting in shape is so I can kick zombie butts should the need ever arise. ...

It's like you get me. Srsly, people think I'm crazy but I have a huge fear of being eaten. So whether i gotta run from zombies or punch a shark/bear i'm trying to get in shape for self defense LOL.

Not much into the zombies thing myself, but have you heard of the zombies, run! app? It's a fitness app that tells you when to speed up because you're being chased and such, from my understanding.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Internetting 101: Don't feed the trolls, my pretties :laugh:

You nerds should know better. I'm ashamed of you all!! :brokenheart:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm super heavy into Pac Man and Monopoly.

This is how I'm feeling right now. I used to think I was nerdy but apparently not. I just got ousted by a pretty clear set of nerds who apparently didn't think I was nerdy enough for them probably because i'm more b!tchy than nerdy and what's more even more honest than even both those things. I don't know all I know is the queen nerd started pushing all their insecure nerd buttons and exploiting whatever leftover nerd feels they still have from whenever high school or prom or whatever. So yeah ENNUI if you wanna start a club where Pac Man and Monopoly are enough I'd like to join it with my ardour for maths and strange words like ardour ...that's all I got.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Internetting 101: Don't feed the trolls, my pretties :laugh:

You nerds should know better. I'm ashamed of you all!! :brokenheart:

What ARE you talking about, the nerds ARE the trolls. They invented it. For revenge. From IRL.
  • segovm
    Options
    Alright everyone, time for me to stop obsessively hitting refresh and go for a bike ride now!

If someone doesn't beat me to it (OP, were looking at you!), I'll create a Nerds United group for us so we can break all this collective discussion into distinct threads when I get back.

If you would prefer a different name for the group you have a couple of hours to speak up!

Looks like there are a couple dozen of us that wouldn't mind talking shop with each other or even just trading tips on the best audiobooks to listen to while we exercise (Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game series - like 40 hours of that stuff so far).
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options

No, not at all.

Just the fact that you flaunt in like "OMG I'm such a nerd!" "Nerds unite!" is pathetic imo.

Brahdude feels left out...
    Much sad...
    so disappoint...
  • 1nsomniac13
    1nsomniac13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I heard there was a nerd congregation? Big sci-fi geek here. Love Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Firefly... RPG nerd. Been a GameMaster for 15 years (Shadowrun is my poison of preference, with a little 7th Sea on the side). I write sci-fi... regular convention attendee, but not confident enough for cosplay.

As for the coming zombie apocalypse...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3384&d=1364402600
  • lewdug
    lewdug Posts: 17
    Options
    I love how you're also a gamer and love anime. I haven't really had the chance to be involved with anime in the past few years, but I love my games. That's actually how my husband and I met. I'm just trying to get active. You know one thing that's worked to get me active? Listening to game soundtracks and dancing :-D It totally caters to my nerdy side!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

No, not at all.

How is it pathetic to desire connection and companionship from like-minded people? It's refreshing to be among those with similar interests. Bonding over gaming, television shows, books, et. al, is no more pathetic than enjoying a beer with the guys, hanging at the skate park, or joining team sport.

This is true.

It's totally okay for nerds to do anything, b/c nerds.

What's not okay and similar to what you described is when cool people say "look at us we're so cool" ...then, they are not.

Also sorority girls at spring break saying "I'm so drunk!" total faux pas.