Headache - lack of sugar?

Options
(Sorry I know this has been posted lots)

Firstly, I am aware that this has been posted lots from various people but as our journeys are all different I was looking for some specific advice related to me. (It's all about me! :happy: ha)

I've been on my new healthy eating and exercise regime for about a week or so. I'm finding that I have little energy, especially when I'm at work, and I have began to develop a horrible migraine behind my eyes around in the afternoon. Until a week or so ago I would have a Mars Bar or similar sized chocolate pretty much every lunch time, as well as cereal bars (such as co-co pops - high in sugar) as well as a 500ml bottle of fizzy such as Coke or Dr Pepper. (I know how unhealthy this is - hence this new health regime!)

As well as the above I'd often have sweets / cake / biscuits around the office throughout the day. I think I'm eating enough carbs (had a blow out today and had two slices of toast between meals - first time so far) but wondered if the reduction in processed foods and therefore sugar could be leading to my lack of energy and headaches? I'm trying to eat a lot of fruit and generally have at least two portions before the headache kicks in, so I'm still giving my body some sugar, just in a different form to what it is used to.

I drink a lot of water, usually have a pint or so in the morning before / getting ready for work, then two litres during the day (I know this as I have a 1L bottle on my desk that I have to fill up) then several large glasses in the evening. I've always drunk a lot of fluid. I don't, and never have drunk tea, coffee or energy drinks (I just don't like the taste!).

Has anyone got any advice on how to overcome this? I'd really like to be doing more exercise but at the moment all I want to do is sleep.

Replies

• fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you trying to stick too? Sounds to me like you might have your calories set too low.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood check for any deficiencies?
  • kiii3
    kiii3 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm trying to go for 1200 which I generally stick to. I did some exercise over the weekend which bumped my calorie allowance up but I still did not eat over 1200.
  • kiii3
    Options
    Have you had your blood check for any deficiencies?

No - I haven't thought of that. I will book an appointment and have one though, thank you. What would I be asking the Dr to check for?

I have had a diabetes check in the past (due to volume of water I drink and the related headaches I get if I don't have enough fluid) which came back negative.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go for 1200 which I generally stick to. I did some exercise over the weekend which bumped my calorie allowance up but I still did not eat over 1200.

Bingo
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    (Sorry I know this has been posted lots)

Firstly, I am aware that this has been posted lots from various people but as our journeys are all different I was looking for some specific advice related to me. (It's all about me! :happy: ha)

I've been on my new healthy eating and exercise regime for about a week or so. I'm finding that I have little energy, especially when I'm at work, and I have began to develop a horrible migraine behind my eyes around in the afternoon. Until a week or so ago I would have a Mars Bar or similar sized chocolate pretty much every lunch time, as well as cereal bars (such as co-co pops - high in sugar) as well as a 500ml bottle of fizzy such as Coke or Dr Pepper. (I know how unhealthy this is - hence this new health regime!)

As well as the above I'd often have sweets / cake / biscuits around the office throughout the day. I think I'm eating enough carbs (had a blow out today and had two slices of toast between meals - first time so far) but wondered if the reduction in processed foods and therefore sugar could be leading to my lack of energy and headaches? I'm trying to eat a lot of fruit and generally have at least two portions before the headache kicks in, so I'm still giving my body some sugar, just in a different form to what it is used to.

Has anyone got any advice on how to overcome this? I'd really like to be doing more exercise but at the moment all I want to do is sleep.

Your going though sugar withdrawal. Sugar is an addictive substance - and the more you have, the more you want.

My suggestion is to get off REFINED sugars. Meaning cut out the pastries, the bread, the candy and frappicinos. If you need some natural sugars have a handful of blueberries or an apple. But quite honestly, we don't need much sugar in our diets. You need water, fats, and protein. Carbs, and particularly refined carbs from breads and processed foods - are the worst thing you can eat. Often containing high sodium and other additives which simply make you want to eat more.

Stick to protein or fats like a handful of almonds or some cheese. Not only will that stop your insulate from spiking but it will stabilize you for a few hours in between meals. Drink lots of water as well. Most people don't get nearly the amount of water they need because of all the soda and juice they consume. Soda and juice are not healthy nor wise.

Water

Water

Water

If your serious about changing the way you eat, I would preplan out your meals and snacks. It takes a little extra work but it will stop you from making unwise choices which will set you back. I'm not going to lie, you will feel withdrawl symptoms for about 7 days. Your just going to have to suffer though it. After that week passes, you won't even want sugar anymore.

IF you want to take things a step further you may want to consider cutting out processed foods altogether. Fresh and healthy veggies and meats can be prepared very simply and be delicious.

But I would suggest figuring out your TDEE and BMR. 1200 might be too low if your considerably overweight .
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I noticed you aren't keeping track of your water consumption. How much water do you drink daily?

Dehydration is a big culprit and an easy fix. Increase your water intake to see if that helps. I was told by my doctor to drink at least 8 glasses up to half my body weight of water daily.

If your headaches continue, please get checked by your doctor.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like to me your body is mad at you for restricting it to 1200 calories a day. If it was just a headache I would say ok maybe sugar withdrawal could be the culprit, but when you add in exhaustion, it really is lack of calories. Your body is not receiving enough fuel for all that it is doing.

You may also want to try to get more substantial foods, more protein, good fats, and fiber. All of these help the body a tremendous amount. Best of luck to you.
  • kiii3
    Options
    I noticed you aren't keeping track of your water consumption. How much water do you drink daily?

Dehydration is a big culprit and an easy fix. Increase your water intake to see if that helps. I was told by my doctor to drink at least 8 glasses up to half my body weight of water daily.

If your headaches continue, please get checked by your doctor.

I drink a lot of water, usually have a pint or so in the morning before / getting ready for work, then two litres during the day (I know this as I have a 1L bottle on my desk that I have to fill up) then several large glasses in the evening. I've always drunk a lot of fluid. I don't, and never have drunk tea, coffee or energy drinks (I just don't like the taste!).

I don't bother with keeping track of fluid intake as I have always drunk lots. I have a pint (of water with ice and lemon) on the go right now!
  • kiii3
    Options
    Sounds like to me your body is mad at you for restricting it to 1200 calories a day. If it was just a headache I would say ok maybe sugar withdrawal could be the culprit, but when you add in exhaustion, it really is lack of calories. Your body is not receiving enough fuel for all that it is doing.

You may also want to try to get more substantial foods, more protein, good fats, and fiber. All of these help the body a tremendous amount. Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the help. I'm really trying to eat more protein but finding it quite difficult. I don't like the taste of fish and even the amazing health benefits cannot convince my taste buds to like it! Maybe I'll try something like scrambled eggs in the mornings.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

It never hurts to clear issues with your doctor but this seems to be this issue. Why aren't you eating more food to offset your exercises?
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Echoing the above. 1200 might be too low. Have you done the TDEE, etc. calculations? How did you pick 1200?

Also, cutting soda out might be a trigger for the headache. When I was hooked on caffeine (in grad school) I would develop a nasty headache if I didn't get my fix.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I suggest you read up on BMR and TDEE - after lots of reading I came to the conclusion that what MFP gave me as a calorie goal was too low for me (1,200) so I upped mine to 1400 and I have been losing about 1 pound a week.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    1200 cals plus exercise you should eat those cals back if you arent feeling optimal. You could have natural sugars from fruits!! :)
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and healthy fats (nuts, avocado, hummus) instead of sugar or bread hun. The protein keeps you fuller longer. Add in some fruits and veggies too! Baby carrots are a fave of mine with hummus or a nice big apple! (OR BOTH) Apples have the natural sugar for a boost and fiber which is also great to help feeling full in between meals! I always bring this stuff to work to snack on and it is great! Berries are good too or peanut butter and celery if you like that. Almond butter is also good if you want to try something new! Cantaloupe is great and filling...etc...you get the drift. ;) Low fat cheese sticks can also be a good snack. Oh yes and hard boiled eggs!!

In my opinion, it is not the sugar that is causing the headaches, it's that you are not getting the right nutrients in your body!
  • kiii3
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I suggest you read up on BMR and TDEE - after lots of reading I came to the conclusion that what MFP gave me as a calorie goal was too low for me (1,200) so I upped mine to 1400 and I have been losing about 1 pound a week.

Brilliant - thank you. Just looked and one site says my BMR is 1801 - I will look at upping my intake, especially in the morning. Hopefully this reduces the headaches.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like caffeine withdrawal
  • kiii3
    Options
    Eat more protein and healthy fats (nuts, avocado, hummus) instead of sugar or bread hun. The protein keeps you fuller longer. Add in some fruits and veggies too! Baby carrots are a fave of mine with hummus or a nice big apple! (OR BOTH) Apples have the natural sugar for a boost and fiber which is also great to help feeling full in between meals! I always bring this stuff to work to snack on and it is great! Berries are good too or peanut butter and celery if you like that. Almond butter is also good if you want to try something new! Cantaloupe is great and filling...etc...you get the drift. ;) Low fat cheese sticks can also be a good snack. Oh yes and hard boiled eggs!!

In my opinion, it is not the sugar that is causing the headaches, it's that you are not getting the right nutrients in your body!

I have a nut allergy unfortunately so nutrients that way out out. I do eat an apple a day and have carrots usually in the evening. I generally have berries in some form every day too. Will look in to having some low fat cheese as snacks... I LOVE cheese! Than k you for the tips :)
  • kiii3
    Options

From the fizzy drinks like coke? I have never drunk tea or coffee so my only caffeine has come from coca cola or diet coke. Maybe I'll concede and have a diet version tomorrow
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

From the fizzy drinks like coke? I have never drunk tea or coffee so my only caffeine has come from coca cola or diet coke. Maybe I'll concede and have a diet version tomorrow

And chocolate