Holter Monitor/PVC's/PAC's

Hey all.
I am a 24 yr old female. I workout about 5 days a week. On 5/5/2014 I began to experience frequent heart palpitations. Not quite sure if palpitation is the right word, but it feels as though my heart is skipping a beat....like a hiccup in my chest.

I have never experienced such things before so frequently. I went to my dr, and was referred out to a cardiologist. I wore a Holter monitor for 48 hours and am still waiting on results (the anticipation is killing me, stressing me out, and probably making the issue worse).

After extensive hours of Googling, WebMDing, and overall freaking out, I believe I am experiencing PVC's and PAC's of the heart. My question is: Has anyone else in good health experienced these? How do you deal with them? I have heard magnesium citrate helps or some doctors will put you on a beta blocker. I'd rather avoid the beta blocker because I'd like to have a 2nd child soon.

Any help, advice, knowledge or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jackie

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hi,

I deal with PVC's on a daily basis and have been for many years. I've gone thru many heart tests to make sure my heart is in good health and that the pvc's are benign. The last time I wore a Holter monitor is recorded over 2,000 pvc's in a 24 hour period. I've done the beta blocker thing and it works but I dislike the meds, slows down the heart rate and you can easily gain a few pounds. Both of what I don't like. I do use Magnesium Citrate and don't notice that it helps. I try to avoid triggers such as stress, getting startled (so no scary movies or halloween fun houses), over exercising can do it too but mostly caffeine (I love coffee).

Good luck to you.
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    JackieLivingHealthy Posts: 64 Member
    Hey thanks for your reply. I got my results back: 165 PVCs, a little over 2,000 PACs (in 48 hours) and evidence of atrial fibrillation. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. I go see cardiologist on June 16th for echo. I am still having issues with skipped heart beat, SOOOO annoying!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I had a 24 hour holter a few weeks ago. Diagnosed with mitral valve regurgitation and there was something on another test (echo I think) that showed "something", doctor says it could have been there all along or I could have had a minor heart attack at some point. I go for an exercise stress test on Thursday.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    PACs are quite common in athletes and people with asthma. PACsare uncommon in your age group but a lot of PVCs in a day can cause you to go into a more serious arrhythmia. That's a lot of PACs. Atrial fibrillation is uncommon for your age. Sounds like you will need some medication and more tests. Have you ever suffered from ED?

Most likely in your age group would be sinus tachycardia. Less common but a possibility would be cardiomyopathy. I've only seen this in young people with certain risk factors such as stimulant abuse (cocaine, methamphatimine) or genetic factors. Atrial fib, I think I've only seen in older patients, 55 and up. Unusual!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    I started having PVC's in my late 20s. I had a recording of 2,000 PVC's in a 24 hour period. I have some that just string on and on. I had several tests. Echo of the heart, echo stress test (treadmill) and a nuclear stress test. I've seen three different cardiologist that said IF your heart is healthy then the pvc's are just benign. Too many pvc's are only a concern if there is underlying heart disease. Thus the good reason the OP is going to follow up with a cardiologist to rule this out.
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    Its nice to know I am not alone in this, but it seems I AM alone in this as far as age group goes. I too think I am too young for atrial fib....dr. report did say EVIDENCE not that I had it for sure. I do know I have a basic sinus rhythm as dr. stated on report, as welll as no active arrythmia or VT. My avg. resting heart rate was 73.....my total cholesterol is 156..,all blood work in normal ranges that I had done recently. Sometimes things just happen I guess. Perhaps I was born with this and its just now rearing its ugly head. I can still function and exercise, but the feeling of skipped beats is rather annoying. Also, I have to get a root canal tomorrow (6/3) and am worried about lidocaine sending my heart racing. My dentist's office did contact my PCP for medical relase and i was given the A OK as "minimal risk." Prayers appreciated!!!!
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    tracydr: What does ED stand for ?
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    tracydr: What does ED stand for ?
    Eating disorder.
    Did the doctor mention a blood thinner for the atrial fib? Atrial fib can cause blood clots to the brain.
    I wonder if you'd be a candidate for some kind of ablation surgery? I've had patients get that for tachycardia but never PACs.
    The a-fib is strange but if you are doing that frequently it will need to be addressed.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Its nice to know I am not alone in this, but it seems I AM alone in this as far as age group goes. I too think I am too young for atrial fib....dr. report did say EVIDENCE not that I had it for sure. I do know I have a basic sinus rhythm as dr. stated on report, as welll as no active arrythmia or VT. My avg. resting heart rate was 73.....my total cholesterol is 156..,all blood work in normal ranges that I had done recently. Sometimes things just happen I guess. Perhaps I was born with this and its just now rearing its ugly head. I can still function and exercise, but the feeling of skipped beats is rather annoying. Also, I have to get a root canal tomorrow (6/3) and am worried about lidocaine sending my heart racing. My dentist's office did contact my PCP for medical relase and i was given the A OK as "minimal risk." Prayers appreciated!!!!

A fib can be caused by a valve defect, so you need to find out first what is the cause. Most likely that you will need a stress test and an echogram of the heart to analyze its anatomy.

If the A fib is NOT cause by a valve problem and IF the doctor wants you to start taking blood thinners, ask him to prescribe XARELTO instead of Coumadin (warfarin). Coumadin levels need to be analyzed every two weeks and your diet controlled to avoid an excess of vitamin K.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    I was hospitalized with ventricular tacchycardia a couple of years ago with a sustained HR of 220-- for 2 hours (trust me, if you ever want to get whisked right into the ER, present with that at 32). Doctor put me on a beta blocker. I hated it- slowed my heart rate down and made it extra hard to try to get it going. I gained about 16 pounds, woohoo!! yeah, not so much.

I ended up stopping the beta blocker. I still feel that "skipped beat" occasionally and I wear a HRM when I work- I've seen it spike to 234 but never sustained. But, I hated how I felt on the meds that I just watch how it is, and if I can feel a lot of "skips" happening (that's when my HR typically will jump high) I try to do some relaxation breathing. I don't drink a ton of caffeinated beverages, but I don't avoid them either. I find regular working out has helped keep stress down.

The doc will let you know what the arrhythmia is, many (most?) of them are benign and more of an annoyance. You will find out if meds are even needed.
  • neeloinspired
    neeloinspired Posts: 1 Member
    Hi im 24 years old! Same exact boat!
    I had a 24 hour monitor which showed 700 pacs!!!! Im yet to find anyone at my age other than u with a high number of pacs!! I only find people with pvcs!

Did this become a problem for you? Did u need treatment or are they truly not dangerous? Im so scared of getting afib!