Is 30 Day Shred a good workout?

Options
Hi I'm a 24 year old mom of three kids. I've been trying *and failing* to lose weight for over a year now. I weighed 214 and have lost 7lbs by teaching myself to drink the right amount of water and watch what I eat. That's sounds really dumb but I never EVER had to diet before I had my kids. Now it seems like I can't get my weight to go anywhere so I've been doing baby steps!. Anyways, I tried Insanity like 5 or 6 times and have never stuck with it and I'm wondering if maybe the program just isnt for me or maybe I need to try something to ease myself into the process instead of jumping into one of the craziest workouts ever. Has anyone done the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred? Would it be a good jumping off point?

Thank you!
Lindsey

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Its a great starting exercise if you are kind of new to working out. Its only 30 mintutes which is great with kids since time is limited. I did it before completing Insanity and I'm now doing T25. I don't think I would have been able to do or complete either before 30DS. Give it a go!
  • twhite1994
    twhite1994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have done the 30 Day Shred many times. It's one of my go to videos. I like it because it's short (30 mins) and is a good overall workout. The first time I tried it, I lost several inches but not much weight - dropped 2 dress sizes (which was great!). The biggest factor is diet. No matter what kind of exercise you do, you can't out exercise a poor diet. I would definitely recommend the 30 Day Shred. Some of the moves are tough and when I started out, I could not hold myself in plank or do other moves. Stick with it and you will be surprised at how strong you get in a short amount of time.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Other than being able to plank for a really long time afterward, I didn't notice much for results--on the scale or inches. But it killed my knees. I only finished the 30 days because I had committed to it. I would never do it in a string of days again, maybe just use it for a one-off day now and again.
  • LCaldwell10
    Options
    Being completely honest I can do all the exercises in Insanity. I just hit that 2 to 3 week mark where I just suddenly stop. I would love to try Focus T25 but just dont have the money for it now and I have 30 day shred sitting on my shelf already. I do pretty well with my diet, I don't record it as much as I would like on here because my phone's data plan always seems to go over. But I'm very consistent and rarely eat out. However, I'm not in denial, I do know I need to cut my portions back and that's where a lot of my issues were coming from before. I have a bunch of programs: Insanity, Asylum 1 & 2, 30 day shred, Brazilian butt lift, hip hop abs, and Zumba. I'm just trying to figure out the best one to start with.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Other than being able to plank for a really long time afterward, I didn't notice much for results--on the scale or inches. But it killed my knees. I only finished the 30 days because I had committed to it. I would never do it in a string of days again, maybe just use it for a one-off day now and again.

Re: "killed my knees" .....this is somewhat common. I haven't tried 30DS for that reason. I've tried a few other JM DVDs (lower impact) .......not my thing either.

OP: Do a workout....any workout that is sustainable for you. If you like it....great. If it's something you dread doing....keep looking. Exercise should be a lifestyle change. If you enjoy doing something, you will be consistant.

A lower impact circuit workout....if 30DS causes pain......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ
  • LCaldwell10
    Options

Re: "killed my knees" .....this is somewhat common. I haven't tried 30DS for that reason. I've tried a few other JM DVDs (lower impact) .......not my thing either.

OP: Do a workout....any workout that is sustainable for you. If you like it....great. If it's something you dread doing....keep looking. Exercise should be a lifestyle change. If you enjoy doing something, you will be consistant.

A lower impact circuit workout....if 30DS causes pain......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ

Thank you! I'm trying to be open minded about all exercises but I really dont want to start out hating the process. I want it to be a life style change im willing to embrace