Strength Training and Running

Options
Happy Monday Morning Y'all!

I have a quick question for you this morning. Those of you training for either a half or full, what is your strength training routine?

I have researched trying to find the best exercises and routines/circuits and I am having a hard time figuring out a decent one.

Please help if you can!

Replies

• ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    bumping for replies!
    I want to train for my first half in Jan!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I use You Are Your Own Gym; bodyweight work.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My next half is on 6/7.

I do Stronglifts three days a week, run 5 miles one weekday evening, and a long run on one weekend morning. I PR'd my last half in Feb by over 20 minutes and trained this way then, also.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I just signed up for my first half in over 25 years! The race is in December. I plan to carry on lifting 3 times per week (Starting Strength) and getting in ~2 runs a week over the summer, then ramp up the miles in the fall. I figure being stronger will only help me to be faster. I'm in maintenance and have no plans to bulk at all.

I'm open to suggestions for a better plan though!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Well, I just signed up for my first half in over 25 years! The race is in December. I plan to carry on lifting 3 times per week (Starting Strength) and getting in ~2 runs a week over the summer, then ramp up the miles in the fall. I figure being stronger will only help me to be faster. I'm in maintenance and have no plans to bulk at all.

I'm open to suggestions for a better plan though!

Yay you!

To the OP - I did my first half last year. I had been running only a year and did a three-day-a week plan. I was doing NRoL4W, but ended up feeling shredded after my long run - even bridges hurt my hamstrings. I stopped working out, just stretched and lost 6 pounds of lean mass.

This year, I'm doing the Convict Conditioning progressive calisthenics program and working on running 4 days a week so I'm fitter in general. Since CC is a progressive program, I'll be able to scale back the exercises until I find something that I can continue through November.

Great job in doing strength training - it's critical for speed and stability.
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! What are the specific moves you do? I am trying to set up a circuit or two. :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use the strength routine from "Brain Training for Runners". Over the winter, I plan on doing something stronglifts for a few months.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm working into training for a 10K- I plan to make no alterations to my lifting.
    Same would be said for a half- but that's not on my agenda for the time being.

:edit to my not so helpful post.

I'm running the Sheiko program currently.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! What are the specific moves you do? I am trying to set up a circuit or two. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Using-Survival-Strength-ebook/dp/B004XIZN5M/

There are five compound body weight movements. They effectively target all of your major muscle groups.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do a 1 hour fitness class three times a week. The class is mostly body/hand weight exercises that follows a similar pattern: legs, back, chest, tri's, arms, shoulders with some cardio mixed in to keep the HR up. The trainer works in several exercises for hip abductors/flexors and hamstrings to help strengthen traditionally weak runner areas.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am an idiot. I have trained for and run 2 marathons with NO cross-training or strength training of any sort..I really need to address this. I'll be looking forward to replies for this thread!
  • Pixeebug
    Pixeebug Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. Training for half in Oct.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I change up my strength routine periodically so I don't get bored. But the one I always go back to and that always changes the shape of my body is the Nike Training Club app workouts. They now give you a preset program, which is nice. Or you can just do a few of the shorter workouts. Very little equipment required. (Med ball and dumbbells, but you could do it without these things too):

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So I think this is different for everyone, I didn't start running until last year.

Completed a few 5ks, a 10 miler and 2 halfs , my mileage was about 10 min mile towards the end of the running season.
    During that time frame I did a lot of cardio (ie: running) and not a lot of strength (about once a week).

Fast forward to this year, I've cut back on my running and increased strength training and introduced lifting heavy.
    I cut almost 30 mins from my 10 miler time last year , and my first half I completed in 2:30, that was with cold weather, rain and wind mixed in there .. Last Monday I ran a sub 9 minute mile ..

I have a few more halfs and obstacle course based races this year and am really interested to see how folding in heavy lifting twice a week with less cardio helps or hurts my time. I can't really suggest a training plan as I generally go by how my body is feeling that day .. But I know people that swear by Hal Higdon, Stronglifts, Starting Strength ..

Good Luck!
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use bodyweight and resistance bands. My stuff gets sore enough from running. I have seen MFP friends use swimming and rowing machines also during their training.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Monday: Run and strength train back and core (body weight exercises, heavy pants, lawn mowers, pull up bar, planks, super mans, etc...at home stuff with dumb bells)

Tues: run and plyo

Wed: lift heavier at gym

Thurs: speed work (running only)

Friday: run and yoga ...squats with dumbbells at home, myrtl routines http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

Sat: long run

Sun: full rest
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am an idiot. I have trained for and run 2 marathons with NO cross-training or strength training of any sort..I really need to address this. I'll be looking forward to replies for this thread!
    Tail end of last year I cut out my cross-training to make more time to run while preparing to run a 50 miler. I ended up getting hurt during training and not doing the race. The best way to get better at running is to run but it doesn't do any good if the supporting muscles don't do their jobs.
  • teresamurphy81
    Options
    I began running last October with no lifting/muscle work. I ran a 10K and a 10 miler. I have signed up for a 1/2 marathon Thanksgiving weekend. This time, I have started doing the p90x muscle work routines 3 days a week and running 3 days a week. So far, so good. I have taken 40 seconds off my 5K time in the past month or so. Not sure why/how.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is no best program. Its mostly what you prefer and can juggle with your running. Most people choose a 2or 3 day a week full body program. You can choose BW or free weights or whatever other type of resistance training you prefer. Personally I'd stick with BW or free weights keeping the routine basic and hitting a push, pull & squat variant each session.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recently finished training for, and running, a half- 3 days a week of running, 3 days a week body weight exercises and kettlebells.

I just started NROLW. I plan on starting a second round of half marathon training in July. I'm going to shoot for 3 days a week running again and stick with the NROLW schedule. I am a little apprehensive that it might destroy my legs. I'm hoping if I can get out of phase 1 before I start ramping up the running again, that my body might be more conditioned to performing the lifts than it is right now.