Bulky Muscles

Options
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if it's possible to make my muscles less bulky? I started my fitness lifestyle change around 7 months ago. My routine was to eat healthy, run for about 50-55 mins on a treadmill with no resistance and do a little bit of weight lifting when I can. It was going great for the first three months, I looked slimmer and healthier. I wanted to speed things up and thought of getting a personal trainer. When I did she told me that if I want to get rid of the stubborn fat (all in my damn legs D:) that I should do heavy weight lifting instead of my runs and light weight lifting. Well after 4 months of that I became bulkier but sadly none of the fat came off. I look exactly the same as when I started this journey maybe with a few muscle tones here and there, but what sucks is that now I'm stuck with these large muscles that's hidden behind my fat. I've heard of going to yoga and Pilates to tone them down but other sites that I've been going on say that you can't stretch your muscles to look smaller. I feel like my only option now is to eat less and just don't work out at all, or go back to my old routine but I'm afraid my muscle will stay the same if I workout. I guess a little information about me may help, I have an athletic body type(complete set of large muscular legs and huge arms) with a very slow metabolism. My large legs are definitely from genetics (my mother and grandmother both have huge legs). So basically to sum it all up is it possible to get rid of my bulkiness and losing the fat in the process especially in my legs?

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    it takes time and patience...time like months and years...don't give it up...you will see the result coming, eventually.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    It's not muscle, it's fat.
  • albayin
    Options
    or you can just ditch the trainer's advice, focus on eating less. swollen muscles will shrink back after a while not being esitmulated.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say you don't have bulky muscles. You may seem visually bigger but probably from water retention in the areas you work. To gain muscle, you typically have to be In a calorie surplus with a good routine, plenty of protein and it takes time. From what you re describing, it sounds impossible to honestly build that kind of muscle, even in the most ideal conditions, let alone in a deficit. I would make sure you're logging everything, weighing and measuring your food, and continue weightlifting.
  • xFitPanda
    xFitPanda Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm still scared to continue with heavy lifting though, looking back on my genetics us females on my mothers side are basically what you can call a "Helga". Curse my German genes.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Are your family members overweight? I'm German, too btw. I'm not getting the correlation
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would love bulky muscles! I'm going to seconed cwoyto123 and say you are concerned not about bulky muscle but about fat.

You cannot spot reduce naturally. If you lose weight you are going to lose weight, but we cannot point to an area and go "there. This is where the weight shall shed." If you do manage to do this, you're the next billionaire waiting to happen in the fitness industry.

you want to cut fat- check your diet and restrict calories. Keep working on definition of the muscles you want to "tone" or make bigger.

Have bulky legs and wear tight skinny jeans and have people oggle at your calfs in appreciation that you could probably calf raise a whole baby cow.
  • xFitPanda
    Options
    The only one who is overweight is my mother but my other family members are quite muscular.
  • xFitPanda
    Options
    I would love bulky muscles! I'm going to seconed cwoyto123 and say you are concerned not about bulky muscle but about fat.

You cannot spot reduce naturally. If you lose weight you are going to lose weight, but we cannot point to an area and go "there. This is where the weight shall shed." If you do manage to do this, you're the next billionaire waiting to happen in the fitness industry.

you want to cut fat- check your diet and restrict calories. Keep working on definition of the muscles you want to "tone" or make bigger.

Have bulky legs and wear tight skinny jeans and have people oggle at your calfs in appreciation that you could probably calf raise a whole baby cow.

When I pinch my legs it's more muscle then fat, I can hardly pinch the fat on top of my quad. I understand that spot reducing doesn't work but I'm more concern about my muscles of being overly large.
  • albayin
    Options

When I pinch my legs it's more muscle then fat, I can hardly pinch the fat on top of my quad. I understand that spot reducing doesn't work but I'm more concern about my muscles of being overly large.

my legs are the same way but when they are relaxed, I do see fat jigging on the inner thighs and back thigh...I call it "bacon" because muscle and fat all mixed together. :(
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I guess I should have just been blessed with better genetics. Then, I wouldn't have to be doing this intentional bulk.
  • xFitPanda
    Options

my legs are the same way but when they are relaxed, I do see fat jigging on the inner thighs and back thigh...I call it "bacon" because muscle and fat all mixed together. :(

I would preferably want the lean turkey bacon for my legs XD side note, I'm curious when you said if I stopped weight lifting those muscles they would shrink, does that mean stop exercising entirely or those 50-55 mins of running are ok?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    continue heavy lifting...in 30 weeks of heavy lifting I lost a total of 9 inches...

It takes time to lose the fat (and I still have fat to lose)
  • jjwilde265
    jjwilde265 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    if you eat at a deficit your body will eat fat and muscle so it should go. but any muscle is your friend if you want to burn fat as it raises your metabolism and burns more fat so I agree with your trainer. if you want to get rid of the fat dont worry about muscle. if you reach your goal of fat loss just stop training your legs after. but I wouldnt worry about your legs until your at your goal fat percentage. and if you've put on muscle while eating at a deficit you've achieved what most men dream of lol :-)
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    if you've put on muscle while eating at a deficit you've achieved what most men dream of lol :-)

While The Mystical Muscle Fairy is out blessing muscles to those in deficits, can I go back in time to my cut and make them gains too? Women can dream too....
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go the unpopular route with my response here, but if you have been doing your current workout for a while and not seeing the results that you want, then I'd recommend changing it up.

I am a fan of lifting weights, but I also tend to get stockier looking muscles if I'm not careful. I have been lambasted in the forums for that assertion before, but the fact remains that there are some women who do not like the way their muscles look when they lift heavy. There are also lots of women who have GREAT success from heavy lifting, but if you are unhappy with the results then it is time to switch things up.

Are you still doing cardio, or just weight lifting? How's your diet? Does your trainer measure your bodyfat? I only ask because it is also possible you are super hungry from HIIT type workouts, and eating more than you think you are. That would also cause you to gain size from both muscle and fat.

There are more reasons to work out than just getting "skinny" so don't abandon weight lifting - getting strong is important too. I would talk about your concerns with your trainer, and then start incorporating some different exercises/training in. Body weight work, barre class, etc, and in a few months re-evaluate where you are. :)
  • taramaclaren
    Options

I would preferably want the lean turkey bacon for my legs XD side note, I'm curious when you said if I stopped weight lifting those muscles they would shrink, does that mean stop exercising entirely or those 50-55 mins of running are ok?

Don't stop working out - that is NOT the answer!

Also have you ever tried the step mill?? That has been really helpful for me - I do all kinds of leg lifts and cardio on it in addition to my weights and running. It is a good way to switch it up and really focus on your legs. :)
  • albayin
    Options

Also have you ever tried the step mill?? That has been really helpful for me - I do all kinds of leg lifts and cardio on it in addition to my weights and running. It is a good way to switch it up and really focus on your legs. :)

you know...I agree with you on not dropping weight lifting but having gone through the state where OP is at right now, I can see the other side of the coin too...Sometimes for some it's just hard to get over that frustration.
  • taramaclaren
    Options

you know...I agree with you on not dropping weight lifting but having gone through the state where OP is at right now, I can see the other side of the coin too...Sometimes for some it's just hard to get over that frustration.

Oh no I hear you - I have mammoth legs and have lost 16 lbs by not lifting heavy or frequently with my legs because of that. I prefer the step mill or running for overall weight loss. :) Look at my first post - I agree that she should switch it up for sure, but I guess I am wary of stopping all working out/lifting from an overall health perspective. Plus once I'm out of a routine it is SO hard to get back into it. :)