Did anyone else see that star?

Options
Im just curious, but less than 10 mins ago me and my bf saw this amazingly bight star in the sky, and i got brighter and brighter until it just dissapeared. We were thinking that it may have been a supernova, but im not sure, so im just curious if anyone else saw it..

Replies

• TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    correction: you & your fiance :tongue: It was probably just in your area, but i'm telling you ALIENS!!! There's enough crazies in Zebulon that could stand to get abducted for them to choose from :laugh:
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    i guess it wasn't moving? the ISS can look like a really bright star and sometimes when it catches the sun it gets brighter and brighter then disappears from view/moves into darkness.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Didn't see anything last night. It was overcast. Still is.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I rarely see stars because I am so afraid of bats I go inside as soon as it starts getting dark :(
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    That was no supernova, It was the planet Alderaan. Since the princess was reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, we chose to test our new station's destructive power there.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That's no moon...
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Im just curious, but less than 10 mins ago me and my bf saw this amazingly bight star in the sky, and i got brighter and brighter until it just dissapeared. We were thinking that it may have been a supernova, but im not sure, so im just curious if anyone else saw it..

It is exceedingly rare to see one with the naked eye. Supernovas are not instantaneous events. If it was a Type I supernova (white dwarfs/ binary systems), it would be up there for for a few hours to weeks. If it's a type II supernova (core collapse of a massive star), it would be visible for months.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

It is exceedingly rare to see one with the naked eye. Supernovas are not instantaneous events. If it was a Type I supernova (white dwarfs/ binary systems), it would be up there for for a few hours to weeks. If it's a type II supernova (core collapse of a massive star), it would be visible for months.

^^^--- Yep, when the light from the Betelgeuse supernova reaches earth, we'll probably have a few weeks to a couple months of continuous, near-daylight.
  • Circinus_
    Circinus_ Posts: 7
    Options
    There is a comet that's supposed to have been visible recently in the early morning hours. I forgot to go out and look for it. My guess is that's what you saw.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

^^^--- Yep, when the light from the Betelgeuse supernova reaches earth, we'll probably have a few weeks to a couple months of continuous, near-daylight.

As much as I'd like to see a supernova and that one will definitely be visible to the naked eye, I don't want to see it go. Orion is my favorite constellation and I don't want part of it to disappear.
  • tomnutter14
    Options
    I happened to be taking the trash out last night at that time And I saw the same thing: roughly due east at about 35° zenith. No idea what it might have been; but, it couldn't have been a supernova...
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    zHS1JtC.png
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    That was no supernova, It was the planet Alderaan. Since the princess was reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, we chose to test our new station's destructive power there.

^^This. You are obviously awesome dude :smile:
  • GiddyGnome
    Options
    right! lol