More water combat sodium?

Options
rebprest
rebprest Posts: 149 Member
So I really like pickles, and they are a low calorie choice for a snack, but the sodium. Oh the sodium. So here is my question, If I eat 2 pickle spears can I even the sodium content out by drinking more water? I fully realize this question might be ridiculous, but I am going to eat this pickle and I'm wondering about damage control lol.

Replies

• jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you can balance out sodium with water. I too love pickles. I also eat a lot of soup which is usually pretty packed with sodium. I would make my own but canned soup is always sooo cheap and almost always on sale. I drink a ton of water so hopefully that does the trick. I have also read online that potassium helps to balance out our sodium intake.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Salt is not your enemy unless you are a 45 year old obese woman with hypertension and a family history of heart disease.
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Also try this thread, it seems that other members agree with that as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/526360-question-about-sodium-and-water-intake
  • rebprest
    Options
    Excellent! pickles all around ;)! I guess I'm not really far enough over for it to matter. I am a 25 year old obese woman, though, and there are heart problems on one side of my family soooo, I shall tred carefully.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OMG, some of the crap on this site kills me. NO, YOU CANNOT DILUTE SODIUM IN YOUR BLOODSTREAM. Now, if you have healthy kidneys, you don't really need to worry about it unless you believe you are retaining too much water. However, you cannot dilute the sodium with water. Sorry, your body doesn't work like that.
  • rebprest
    Options
    You are far too late sir, I just drank a bunch of water. lol. Thanks for the info, though!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Drats....Oh just eat the pickles and enjoy, willya? Yet another thing I'm jealous of.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Drats....Oh just eat the pickles and enjoy, willya? Yet another thing I'm jealous of.

Yep, enjoy those pickles, lol! As long as you're not eating, say, jars and jars of them daily, and you're taking in sufficient potassium (which I'm sure you are, I peeked and saw you like your potatoes, me too!), you're doing great!
  • rebprest
    Options
    Well I ate the pickles and In my heart, I feel like it was the right choice. I'll just try to decrease the sodium of other foods I eat in the future to allow for them as an occasional snack.
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No you can't drink water to counter balance salt but as the others have mentioned, salt is not your enemy. You do lose salt throughout the day through normal body function and if you're working out and sweating you're losing salt too. Again, as others have mentioned as long as you don't have a health issue (and I go as far to say you feel just fine when you eat pickles) then pickle on!

I love love love pickles and olives!