will eating too little calories affect my weight loss

So I wanted to lose a bit of weight before summer and I've gotten pretty hooked on calorie counting. I cut out all processed and sweet/junk food before I started. I've only joined MFP about 2-3 weeks ago and was given a goal of 1250 calories a day but I am yet to have a day where i go over a thousand (my average is between 600-800 calories daily) and i work out every day on top of this so my net is lower. Ive seen some progress so far but I am unable to know if i have lost any weight as my family does not own a scale. I wanted to know if this will affect my weight loss in the long run, sometimes i know i should probably eat more calories but i find i am unable to bring myself to eat over 1000 calories. Everything I eat is healthy, low calorie and I eat a lot of super foods and foods containing antioxidants. Will this kind of diet affect my attempt to lose weight?

Im currently around 175cm and weigh roundly 60kg but wanted to lose a few kilos before summer hit and just get fit in general

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    ... .... .... ... ...

No to everything... just No... no. This thread. I can't even.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Yes it will...immediate consequences will be lack of energy, next thin hair and nails, lethargy all the time after a while your metabolism will slow down to account for the lack of food which means if you continue this for a long time you eventually get to the point where you have to eat that little or you gain weight unless you "reset" your metabolism as directed by a RD and a doctor who specializes in nutrition etc...you will lose muscle mass and if it continues you will eventually put strain on your heart and do permanent damage.

It doesn't matter if you are eating healthy foods there is no way you are getting in all the nutrients you need.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    locked.png
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Hello OP

See what SezxyStef Wrote
    Yes it will...immediate consequences will be lack of energy, next thin hair and nails, lethargy all the time after a while your metabolism will slow down to account for the lack of food which means if you continue this for a long time you eventually get to the point where you have to eat that little or you gain weight unless you "reset" your metabolism as directed by a RD and a doctor who specializes in nutrition etc...you will lose muscle mass and if it continues you will eventually put strain on your heart and do permanent damage.

It doesn't matter if you are eating healthy foods there is no way you are getting in all the nutrients you need.

Here is another good topic to read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexy+pants

Good Luck!:smile::smile:
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    I just don't understand how anyone who is overweight, could continually NOT be able to eat enough calories. How do you get overweight in the first place? I'll admit some days I don't quite reach my goal (just busy or whatever and excercised more than usual) But that's not the norm.
  • Thankyou for the advice :smile: I'm going to attempt to up my food intake over the next few weeks i just find it hard to eat high amounts of calories as i suffered from eating related problems (severely under eating) about a year or so back and have no been able to get out of the mindset.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    I just don't understand how anyone who is overweight, could continually NOT be able to eat enough calories. How do you get overweight in the first place? I'll admit some days I don't quite reach my goal (just busy or whatever and excercised more than usual) But that's not the norm.

I hate it when people dismiss these posts with 'well then how did you get fat in the first place?' because I actually can relate. I know it's hard for some to understand but for some of us the counting calories creates a certain mindset with food, that calories = bad and the less calories the better. It doesn't help that MFP lets us choose a goal of 2lb a week without providing any recommendations about how much we should aim to lose. It also doesn't help that if you eat 1202 calories you get this red bar and red negative number on your page. I used to get so upset when I saw this so I would aim to be under my goal, and it got to the point where the bigger the green number of calories left in the day, the better in my mind. I think that maybe some people might be more vulnerable to having these tendencies towards disordered eating and obsessive relationships with food, because I know a lot of people never seemed to have this problem.

OP, maybe you could set your weekly weight loss target to be less aggressive so you have more calories to play with? With your stats I doubt you would want to lose more than 5kg, so you should be aiming for around 0.25kg loss per week. I ended up increasing my target to more calories than I wanted in a day just so I wouldn't get the red number haha, for example if you have it set to 1200 try increasing it to 1400 and aiming to eat between 1200 and 1400 in a day.
  • I just don't understand how anyone who is overweight, could continually NOT be able to eat enough calories. How do you get overweight in the first place? I'll admit some days I don't quite reach my goal (just busy or whatever and excercised more than usual) But that's not the norm.

I hate it when people dismiss these posts with 'well then how did you get fat in the first place?' because I actually can relate. I know it's hard for some to understand but for some of us the counting calories creates a certain mindset with food, that calories = bad and the less calories the better. It doesn't help that MFP lets us choose a goal of 2lb a week without providing any recommendations about how much we should aim to lose. It also doesn't help that if you eat 1202 calories you get this red bar and red negative number on your page. I used to get so upset when I saw this so I would aim to be under my goal, and it got to the point where the bigger the green number of calories left in the day, the better in my mind. I think that maybe some people might be more vulnerable to having these tendencies towards disordered eating and obsessive relationships with food, because I know a lot of people never seemed to have this problem.

OP, maybe you could set your weekly weight loss target to be less aggressive so you have more calories to play with? With your stats I doubt you would want to lose more than 5kg, so you should be aiming for around 0.25kg loss per week. I ended up increasing my target to more calories than I wanted in a day just so I wouldn't get the red number haha, for example if you have it set to 1200 try increasing it to 1400 and aiming to eat between 1200 and 1400 in a day.

Thankyou so much its really great to know that someone else understands what I'm saying. I have had a bad past when it comes to food and i was trying to get healthy and though MFP would help. But its turned slightly obsessive where I compulsively weigh my food and I'm stuck in a mindset of not letting myself eat over 1000 calories. I am about an average weight for my height (maybe a little bit more) but i wanted to lose a little weight to feel confident for summer because i go to the beach for two weeks. Thank you so much for your advice i might try altering my weight loss plan :smile: :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    locked.png
    This.

OP, please see a professional. It sounds like you have an eating disorder.
  • This content has been removed.