Sweden's new national dietary recommendations: LCHF!

Options
2»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    And Dr. Atkins died of a heart-attack, go figure.

According to snopes.com, it's 'undetermined' what he died of.

ETA: it says 'at present, the medical examiner's office will only say that Atkins died of a head injury from a fall.'
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    clearly written with the cooperation of Big Meatball. :angry:

swedish-meatballs.jpg

SwedishChef.jpg

Yay Swedish Chef!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'll put money on that in 10 or 15 years everyone will change their minds again. Why don't governments just recommend to eat sensibly or does that just not get the headlines
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be high in fat? Can someone do LCLF and still have the same results?

because of rabbit starvation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Fat isn't bad for you. Fat is an essential nutrient. Some vitamins are only found in fatty food. Too much fat is bad for you, but too much of a lot of different things are bad for you.

Carbs are not bad for you, they're not essential in the technical sense of the word, but your brain and muscles function best with a good supply of carbohydrate. Too much carbohydrate is bad for you, but then too much of a lot of things are bad for you.

Iron is essential for making red blood cells, but too much iron can kill you. Vitamin A is needed for the eye to function properly and a number of other things in the body, but too much vitamin A can kill you. Water is essential for so many things in life, but drinking way too much water can kill you.

Healthy is getting all the nutrients in the right quantities. The standard western diet is too high in both fat and carbs, and people who suffer from obesity need to eat less of these, but that does not make them bad, or mean that eliminating them from your diet is a good thing. If people were dying from excess vitamin A, eliminating vitamin A from the diet wouldn't be the solution as that would result in a number of eye problems and possibly even blindness... eating the right amount of vitamin A would be. It's the same principle with fat and carbs.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Lol, 20-40% of intake as carbs is low carb? And interviewing the shill Volek lololol

I was thinking that... the article mentions atkins, then says the swedish government recommend 40% carbs. 40% carbs IMO is moderate carbs, and it's what my macros are set to (when I track, which isn't currently) i.e. 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat. If that's low carb then LOL I must be a low carb person....
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'll put money on that in 10 or 15 years everyone will change their minds again. Why don't governments just recommend to eat sensibly or does that just not get the headlines

^^This.
    Common sense! Short supply of it in the world these days!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that 40% carbs is low carb but its lower than most countries recommended carb intake which I understand to be 45-50%. I think 40% is a reasonable amount of carbs and would help people lose weight without really trying.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Livin' la vida LCHF, and it has helped me to burn almost 60 lbs in five months. I notice my concentration at work is nearly effortless since then, as well as no 2:00 or 5:00 crashes as a bonus.
  • looseal
    looseal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Doing LCHF and it's working beautifully. But it isn't automatic yet. I need to plan all I eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,582 Member
    Options
    Lol, I eat a 30c/40p/30f diet. Seems mine might be better than the Swedish one. If 40% is considered low carb, then I'm on board with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    So donuts are bad?

Seriously...I'm with niner...30c/40p/30f....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Again, since the OP was biased in the original post. Sweden is NOT recommending low carb high fat as the go to nutritional requirements. They're recommendations are for 10-20% protein, 20-35% fat, and 45-70% carbs.

All they are doing is simply recognizing that LCHF is a viable alternative for people that need to lose weight. Really, nothing new, nothing outlandish, and nothing that isn't already common knowledge.
  • looseal
    looseal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dr Atkins did not have an MI. He slid on ice walking with a colleague, hit his head and died from injuries.
  • Sgriffin1212
    Sgriffin1212 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    He did not die of a heart attack actually, he died from head trauma after slipping on ice...
  • linda231
    linda231 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you are switching fuels, your brain can function on glucose or ketones. When you go lchf you go into a state of ketosis, and you are using ketones for fuel instead of glucose. If you went low carb low fat what fuel would you use?
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    At least they're smarter than the food cops we got running this country. I find it funny that they tell us to eat less when they're all fat too.