Is there such a thing as too much water?

Options
Hi;
I've been doing my best to cut out diet pop. I don't drink a can until I've drank at least 8 cups of water. I have it cut down to 2 cans of pop a day from my normal 6+. I find the water makes me far less snackish too. Somedays I've had 20 cups of water.

Is there any harm in drinking too much water??

Replies

• CarolHudson11
    Options
    Water intoxication leads to hypo-osmolality (not enough blood solutes) and hyponatremia (not enough sodium). The most immediate problem is cerebral edema leading to seizures, coma, and/or death.

This happens rarely and you'd have to consuming mass quantities of water to manage to accomplish this fate. Drink your water (and an occasional can of soda, if you want) - I think you're safe. :happy:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I think most ppl need to be more concerned with not getting in enough water each day more than too much. As Carol shared it can happen but it takes an awful lot and drinking it quickly is what gets ppl in the most trouble.

It doesn't sound like you're drinking too much to me. 20 cups would be about 10 glasses of water a day. It's been shared that drinking 1/2 our weight in oz. is not a bad measurement to keep in mind.

Great job to you for working on cutting out the soda!!:drinker:
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was drinking around 16cups of water or more a day for a good week and never lost weight because my body was retaining all of the water. As soon as I cut it down to 8cups per day I was quickly able to lose 4lbs :)
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm normally up at 9am till 9 or 10pm. The days I've hit 20 cups is during my training when I'm up at 5:30am till 9pm. I take a can of pop for the drive (allergic to coffee), then a 2nd for after my 1st 8 cups. Once those 2 are gone I just refill my water bottle. I don't slam the water back, just have the occasional sip or chug (ie on the treadmill).

Thank you for the information and encouragement. I feel much better now :drinker:
  • Gargwin82
    Options
    I was drinking around 16cups of water or more a day for a good week and never lost weight because my body was retaining all of the water. As soon as I cut it down to 8cups per day I was quickly able to lose 4lbs :)

I've managed to lose so long as I don't fall into my good day, good day, good day BINGE pattern. Still I will keep that in mind if I do stall out.
  • grantcrouch
    Options
    The water is making you less snackish because the artificial sugars in the diet soda will cause your body to release some insulin to deal with the "sugar" (it cannot tell the difference), this then drives your blood sugar down causing the desire for a snack. Keep off the diet pop, you are doing a grand job.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 gallons per day, I try to do a minimum of 8oz per hour through the day, please I drink a cup of tea, don't count the water I drink when I take vitamins or the water I drink when working out, both about another 8 oz per time.
  • Gargwin82
    Options
    Wow that insulin thing is kinda scary, I would have never though aspartaine would do that:noway: . I drink some during my treamill time and a few cups afterwards, if I didn't I'd be sick I think. So I'll keep that in mind too :happy: