Daily water intake, mixed reviews and opinions.. help!

Options
There's a lot of controversy about how much water we should be consuming everyday. some reports say 2 litres where as I've read others which say anything up to 3 gallons (12 litres)! I would like to know the optimum amount for staying hydrated and the right amount to take in to eliminate water retention and bloating. Perhaps there's some sort of formula out there to calculate it given your body weight and height???

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Best way to tell if you are getting enough fluids is the colour of your pee (not the first of the day and without vit b)

Dark yellow - drink more

Clear - drink a little less

Pale yellow - got it right
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My food coach says aim for 8 oz per day. But I find that hard to do and she's not too upset when I only consume half of that.:smile:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My food coach says aim for 8 oz per day. But I find that hard to do and she's not too upset when I only consume half of that.:smile:

I'm going to assume there's a typo in there somewhere.... 8 oz. is not very much. the general consensus is 8-10 eight oz. glasses per day, but each person is different. If your urine is light yellow to clear, you are well hydrated, typically, depending on your diet.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    3 gallons? I think that might kill you. I do a gallon minimum. 128 oz. I heard half your weight in OZ is ok, but I don't believe it.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I read that as long as you don't flood your cells with abundant amount of water all at one time that that is what is important to keep in mind. I personally drink between 4-6 litres (1 -1.5 gallons) per day. But then I love water.
    But like everyone else was saying. Watch your urine colour.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I drink a little more than a gallon of water a day. Add Diet Peach Snapple & Sugar Free Koolaid to that number. Its hot & I'm active outdoors. So it works for me.

Water is your friend. Drink up. :drinker:
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Best way to tell if you are getting enough fluids is the colour of your pee (not the first of the day and without vit b)

Dark yellow - drink more

^This. I follow this rule and find it helps me keep the numbers going in the right direction. No need to make everything a scientific experiment (IMHO). SOMETHING in this weight loss journey ought to be relatively easy.... Good luck! :drinker:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Dark yellow - drink more

That's what I do. I tend to drink 2 - 3 liters a day. Seems to be plenty for me.
  • ErnestDecker
    Options
    Water is very essential for our body, research shows the varying result on drinking the water per day. Drinking water will depend on the various factors of an individuals body. Although not a single formula will fit for everyone. There are so many benefits of drinking the water, every system of the body depends upon water like water throw out toxic substance from a vital body, and carries the nutrients to the cell of your body and provide a moisture to various parts of the body. So per day in adequate intake a men have to drink 3 liter water and for women 2.2 liter in a day.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    One way is to calculate it as 35 - 45mls per kilogram bodyweight, but that relates to general fluid intake including tea, coffee, cordial etc.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Water is very essential for our body, research shows the varying result on drinking the water per day. Drinking water will depend on the various factors of an individuals body. Although not a single formula will fit for everyone. There are so many benefits of drinking the water, every system of the body depends upon water like water throw out toxic substance from a vital body, and carries the nutrients to the cell of your body and provide a moisture to various parts of the body. So per day in adequate intake a men have to drink 3 liter water and for women 2.2 liter in a day.

so what you are saying is that different people require different amounts of water and yet men HAVE to drink 3 litres, and women HAVE to drink 2.2litres?

hmmmm.

pee colour is the best rule of thumb in my opinion. clear is not good, will strain your kidneys, tea coloured is seriously bad, straw/pale yellow is best.