Food Addiction?

Options
It feels as though I seriously have an addiction to food! Not a new thought, but something that has been an issue for many years...going back to memories of a child.

I've been on MFP for a week and have already caved two out of the 7 seven to fast food (and lots of it!). Other than that, I've been working really hard at staying on track. When I see others talking about how everything can be eaten if in moderation, I think to myself, I just can't do that! For example: I love cheese (by itself or on Anything!). So for me to eat just a piece of cheese and leave it at that seems impossible. I now leave cheese right out and opt for alternatives such as cottage cheese....I'll eat it but not something that I want to eat more of lol Also, if I'm not eating, I'm thinking about eating or when I'll be eating next. It's a minute by minute struggle most days since I've started (and this isn't the first time I've tried losing weight). I've been up and down for the past 10 years (in the end it always comes back to loving 'bad' food).

It's like, I want to lose weight more with every fiber of my being and think about it just as much as I think about the foods I love but temptation gets to me every time. And when I fall, I fall hard and eat whatever and large amounts of whatever (this is always, not just when I'm changing my diet)

Anyone else feel like they're a 'food addict'? Any tips? Have you overcome this issue? Feeling discouraged but trying to keep going. Please feel free to add as a friend. Would love others that can relate/support/motivate! :)

Replies

• Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Cindy!
    I too am a food addict. Once I taste something totally indulgent and delicious, it seems I can not walk away and forget about it. Moderation? Ha! But on the flip side, for a food addict, this site is perfect. I have found that since I think about food 24/7 anyway, I am great at logging in food throughout the day. You did 5 days of great, hard work. Concentrate on that instead of the 2 that you messed up! Start thinking about what you are not eating (bad foods) and congratulate yourself for it. That is what I do, and it works for me, most of the time. I will also remove all bad food from my life, because just a bite of it will send me over the edge. I am on a plant based diet for my health issues right now, and I find that even if it is watermelon, I want the WHOLE thing! lol No drivethroughs, no bakeries.....

I applaud you for your work. It is not an easy journey. Keep it up, you are worth it. :wink:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I don't like comparing what we feel about food to the disease of addiction. But, I understand the feelings you're having. I started over 2 years ago and it was a struggle. However, one of the things that I worked on was delaying gratification and learning proper serving sizes for the food I loved. I was not perfect and it took a long time to relearn healthy eating habits and shift how I look at food.

I encourage you to work on these skills. They make the biggest difference in your feelings of success. It's so nice to have things in my house for my family and know that I can choose to have one or two of something, instead of ALL. I've lost over 100 pounds doing this.

Denying yourself everything that you love is a recipe for caving. I started by having dark chocolate in the house. One piece seemed to satisfy my craving for sweets and chocolate. I did that for a few weeks and then added something else. Over time you will be able to make these changes.

This link has tons of information and it really helps you make a plan that is sustainable and will help you be successful.

Best of luck! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! A couple of tips that have worked for me about: "Also, if I'm not eating, I'm thinking about eating or when I'll be eating next. It's a minute by minute struggle most days since I've started (and this isn't the first time I've tried losing weight)."

For me, it helped to channel thoughts about food in a positive direction, so I didn't feel like this was all about deprivation. So if I start thinking about food or wanting a particular item, I'd respond by thinking about what I want for dinner or menu planning for the next week and perhaps how I can get a particular appealing taste in a healthy way. On the whole, the fact I like food and cooking ended up being a strength as I'm able to focus that interest on healthier foods, without feeling like I'm cutting out foods I love. Basically, I try to think about all the nutrient dense foods I like and ways to make them even tastier rather than on what I'm choosing not to have. Since I end up filling up on these other foods, I don't feel deprived, but excited about what I'm adding to my diet and all the new things I'm making and eating.

That said, I do generally eat things in moderation, but (while I'm not sure if this is related to what you are experiencing) I was in a habit of using food as a crutch, for emotional reasons. So I knew that when I started it would be hard not to want to eat when I was stressed or felt bad, and of course when it's a habit you don't necessarily think it through that way, but just feel like eating. Because of that I did eliminate the foods I was most likely to rely on in this way for a short period of time to teach myself I didn't need to use food in this way. What helped with this was (a) having other foods on hand (like carrots) if I started feeling like I needed to eat something (this feeling actually went away pretty quickly); and (b) to a certain extent changing some of the patterns in which I used to eat--like if I got that way after a stressful day at work find a way to put in even a short workout at the time I used to snack or if I used to snack in the evenings while watching TV or surfing on the internet do something else that would not have those associations.

Edit: another thought about moderation vs. elimination (as you can see I'm not someone who claims that elimination can never be helpful)--I find that if I think I can never have a food I like again it's tougher to not break down and have it, probably because I don't really believe it makes sense to give it up for good. But if I know I will, but I'm waiting until a certain time or only have a little but can have it again whenever I want it's easier to delay gratification.
  • lastusernameever
    lastusernameever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same as you, and generally I can stay motivated for the first couple of weeks and then fall off the wagon.

I am feeling the pressure of that again this time around but a lovely MFP member pointed me in the direction of a book called The Beck Diet Solution and I swear it is really helping my mindset which is what I feel is my biggest hurdle towards weightloss. I know I NEED to lose weight, and I know I CAN lose weight but my head just keeps getting in the way.

This time I am going in with the view that some things I just can't eat in moderation, I know my issues when it comes to craving certain things so I just can't have them.
  • YanaSafina
    YanaSafina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy!

First of all, congratulations on getting on a great track to get healthy. That's already a huge step. To me, it doesn't sound like you're addicted to /food/. It sounds like you're addicted to the wrong food, which is hardly surprising given the dollars that go into making sure that once we taste something like chocolate, icecream, anything crunchy and salty, we want more of it. If there are chips around, I will eat the whole bag. And then I'll want more. Is that something you experience?

One thing that works for some is substitution (i.e. if you're craving cake, make a healthier version). This way, you know exactly what is in it, and you can halve the recipe so even if you cave and eat the whole thing, you won't have gone /too/ overboard. I know that people advocate indulging in your favourite, not-so-healthy foods in moderation, but I can't seem to be able to do it. For me, it's much easier to go cold-turkey and just steer clear altogether. I find after about 5 days of avoiding the wrong foods, the cravings are almost gone because the added sugar/salt is out of your system. In that way, food can definitely be addictive and I understand how it's easy to fall off the wagon. If you can get through a few days in a row without giving in, it will be much easier.

Top tips from my experience:
    - Don't let yourself get too hungry (helps with cravings).
    - Always carry healthy snacks with you.
    - Acknowledge that some foods create a blood sugar spike and will leave you feeling low within a short time after eating them. And then you want more. Choose the right kinds of foods so that this doesn't happen.
    - Plan your meals.
    - Fill up on lean protein and vegetables. I always have a carrot in my car (hey what works, works! :p).

Feel free to PM me - we could help each other out!

Source: My own weight loss and research. I'm also studying to be a dietitian.
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Everything you've said applies to me. I have to be REALLy motivated to cut back my food intake, and I obsess about food. I wish there was some way to conquer this but I don't have any lasting answers. Just do the best you can and make sure you make exercise a regular part of your life.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Cindy and I am a foodaholic... all jokes aside I feel the same as you. Food has me in its grip. I think about it now more then before I started this journey 24 days ago. I have my tablet on my lap most of the day reading forums, planning my day.
    I have read sexy pants a few times and its wonderful help.
    I have always said an alcoholic can give up alcohol. It may be a struggle but you wont die without it. We HAVE to eat. We have to have food in the house to feed our families. Being on a diet we just have to relearn everything we know and what is in our comfort zone.
    That being said..my lil rant... please friend me if you wish, I am on here daily. I log every bite. I am a great cheering section.

Cindy
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You're not alone with this. I constantly obsess about food, sneak food quite a lot and hide the habit from everyone else - I'm not exactly small though so am not that great at hiding it! I can't just have one piece of something so try not to buy trigger foods. Some days are better than others so try not to beat myself up about it if I overeat. For me, I find that if I exercise it distracts me from food and I naturally take better care of myself if the focus is exercise rather than food.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have multiple food allergies an I know there are things I enjoy that I'm NEVER going to eat again - low country boil and crab cakes for instance. When I decided to lose weight, I made.the decision not to totally eliminate anything that doesn't make me sick. I changed from full fat to skim and sugar free lattes, because I need the calcium and like the taste. Now at maintenance I have the calories to drink the full fat version and some days I still choose the lower fat. I did ditch refried beans for black beans and found I like the taste better. I found a GF bread that is lower in sugar and fat than most. I eat more oatmeal than I used to and more avocados and nuts. At the very beginning, I didn't buy a lot of dessert type foods and I wouldn't touch a bag of chips the first three months. I now eat chips to make up a calorie deficit or if I have sweat a lot and need the salt. Since I have celiac, my kids are used seeing food labeled Mom. I started labeling things "not Mom's" as well. Mentally putting their name on it made it easier for me to avoid.
    I'm not sure if any of that would work for you, but it's worked for me for 40 pounds and kept it off for six months. It's a lifestyle I have taken up, not a diet I have gone on.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have always said an alcoholic can give up alcohol. It may be a struggle but you wont die without it.

Heads up, an alcoholic actually could- and often do- die without alcohol in their system. Watching an alcoholic detox is very scary and very dangerous. Most serious addicts have to d/t in an ICU or, at least, a critical care unit. Maybe not the best analogy.

That being said, I''ve had similar issues, OP. The biggest thing for me was learning to stop eating when I realize I'm eating because of emotions rather than hunger. Sometimes I catch myself stopping halfway through a bite like, "what the heck, this isn't even that good." Consciously thinking about my food while actually eating it, rather than thinking about it all day then blindly scarfing it down was the biggest and most difficult change I had to make.
  • stacyosoyoos
    stacyosoyoos Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    An office acquaintance just introduced me to isogenix. She gave me a bunch of samples to try and I sat through her entire "presentation" on the topic which lasted 1.5hrs. I left my office and headed to the grocery store, I picked up skinless boneless chicken breast and low fat cottage cheese as well as some bean sprouts. I couldn't decide what to make for dinner and found myself snacking on one of the bars, then a second one and finally a third! I'm not very pleased with myself that I lost control., especially after being so proud to have sat through her entire presentation thinking all the while that I couldn't be bothered with any if "those" food items. Of moderation is the key, I certainly have my work cut out for me .... Sigh :(
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Food addiction? People need food to LIVE. Comparing this to substance addiction or risky behavior addiction is kinda mind boggling to me.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy!

First of all, congratulations on getting on a great track to get healthy. That's already a huge step. To me, it doesn't sound like you're addicted to /food/. It sounds like you're addicted to the wrong food, which is hardly surprising given the dollars that go into making sure that once we taste something like chocolate, icecream, anything crunchy and salty, we want more of it. If there are chips around, I will eat the whole bag. And then I'll want more. Is that something you experience?

One thing that works for some is substitution (i.e. if you're craving cake, make a healthier version). This way, you know exactly what is in it, and you can halve the recipe so even if you cave and eat the whole thing, you won't have gone /too/ overboard. I know that people advocate indulging in your favourite, not-so-healthy foods in moderation, but I can't seem to be able to do it. For me, it's much easier to go cold-turkey and just steer clear altogether. I find after about 5 days of avoiding the wrong foods, the cravings are almost gone because the added sugar/salt is out of your system. In that way, food can definitely be addictive and I understand how it's easy to fall off the wagon. If you can get through a few days in a row without giving in, it will be much easier.

Top tips from my experience:
    - Don't let yourself get too hungry (helps with cravings).
    - Always carry healthy snacks with you.
    - Acknowledge that some foods create a blood sugar spike and will leave you feeling low within a short time after eating them. And then you want more. Choose the right kinds of foods so that this doesn't happen.
    - Plan your meals.
    - Fill up on lean protein and vegetables. I always have a carrot in my car (hey what works, works! :p).

Feel free to PM me - we could help each other out!

Source: My own weight loss and research. I'm also studying to be a dietitian.

^^^all of this!!!

Don't beat yourself up. It's not you, it's at least partly the types of foods you are eating. They ARE addictive to your body.

I eat processed free (about 85% of the time). This means whole foods, nothing from a box, and NO flour or sugar. (even whole wheat flour is processed). The reason being, I find that these foods have an addictive quality. They are engineered to make you want more. And for whatever reason, I have a lot of trouble with moderation. Whenever I have something like cake, ice cream, bread, chips, etc. it often turns into a several day jag of going off my eating plan and addictive type eating where I feel like I can't stop succumbing. It was really hard o get to where I am, but has been totally worth it because I cannot live with that feeling of addiction/obsession/whatever you want to call it. I love not having cravings and binges more than I love all that crappy food, so it's worth it to me to abstain.

Another thing that was a natural outcome of becoming processed free which was mentioned above, is that I have acquired lots of new favorite treat foods that are healthy and I don't feel like I have to eat the house down after I "indulge."

If you are interested in learning more about processed free eating, the book I read is called "Science of Skinny" (I hate the name, it's so gimmicky sounding!) by Dee McCaffrey. I couldn't put it down! She is formerly obese and trained as a chemist and nutritionist and it explains all the science of what processed foods do to your body, why they're addictive (literally!), etc.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You're not alone with this. I constantly obsess about food, sneak food quite a lot and hide the habit from everyone else - I'm not exactly small though so am not that great at hiding it! I can't just have one piece of something so try not to buy trigger foods. Some days are better than others so try not to beat myself up about it if I overeat. For me, I find that if I exercise it distracts me from food and I naturally take better care of myself if the focus is exercise rather than food.

I agree. I have found that my obsession can carry over to exercise too! Plus then I get to eat a little more, lol.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    It feels as though I seriously have an addiction to food! Not a new thought, but something that has been an issue for many years...going back to memories of a child.

I've been on MFP for a week and have already caved two out of the 7 seven to fast food (and lots of it!). Other than that, I've been working really hard at staying on track. When I see others talking about how everything can be eaten if in moderation, I think to myself, I just can't do that! For example: I love cheese (by itself or on Anything!). So for me to eat just a piece of cheese and leave it at that seems impossible. I now leave cheese right out and opt for alternatives such as cottage cheese....I'll eat it but not something that I want to eat more of lol Also, if I'm not eating, I'm thinking about eating or when I'll be eating next. It's a minute by minute struggle most days since I've started (and this isn't the first time I've tried losing weight). I've been up and down for the past 10 years (in the end it always comes back to loving 'bad' food).

It's like, I want to lose weight more with every fiber of my being and think about it just as much as I think about the foods I love but temptation gets to me every time. And when I fall, I fall hard and eat whatever and large amounts of whatever (this is always, not just when I'm changing my diet)

Anyone else feel like they're a 'food addict'? Any tips? Have you overcome this issue? Feeling discouraged but trying to keep going. Please feel free to add as a friend. Would love others that can relate/support/motivate! :)

If you really identify as an addict with food I don't know if MFP the place for help in that area. I'd say not.

There are 12 Step food fellowships who work with and treat food addiction for those who self identify as such.

The support is intense and face to face. Food selections and measurements are controlled and recorded meticulously. The food plans are restrictive and exclusive. Meaning certain foods are excluded. Everyone is encouraged to be sponsored by another member with long term abstinence from overeating. Weight loss happens if the strict guidelines are adhered to. Everyone in the group identifies as a food addict so you'll get no conflicting information or stories about eating in moderation and how everyone can do it. These groups aren't for people who eat pop tarts, mashed potatoes with gravy and ice cream in moderation. MFP is.

GSA (Greysheeters Anonymous), OA (Overeaters Anonymous), FA (Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous) and FAA (Food Addicts Anonymous) are the main groups.

If you REALLY think you're an addict which means you CANNOT control your intake of certain foods and can't be alone with food choices, I would Google these and find a face to face meeting in your area.

These groups don't take the addiction word lightly or joke about it. Nor do they casually dismiss the possibility of addiction in relation to food and eating.

I used to belong to two of these groups but no longer do as I no longer identify as an addict with food. But I am planning on eliminating certain food items from my diet here on MFP because I simply don't eat those foods in moderation nor do I feel well when I eat them in any amount. My open diary reflects this quite well. Moderation isn't what works for everyone. I still plan on staying on MFP though and speaking up for what works for me, even if it isn't moderation.

Newmeadow rocks !
  • JennyHollyHansen
    Options
    I could really relate to these posts. I cant eat IN MODERATION! I got fat because I eat like its a job to finish a plate, bowl, or bag. I love all food. I would be happy eating candy and chips all day long until the day I die.

I had to cut out all products with added sugar (not including the natural sugar of fruit). I chose to cut out all products with maltodextron as this is an addictive chemical that stops your body from feeling full. This kind of chemical put in most processed food will make you eat until you get sick. It is used to make rats fat so they can do scientific testing on them. I highly recommend to everyone that you also cut this out of your diet not just for weight but also for health.

It has been a month since I have cut sugar, sweetener (including honey and maple syrup) out of my diet. I don't try to replace it. I just removed it. The first 4 days I had horrible headaches. After a week the cravings calmed down. I have lost on average half a pound a day. I was tired the first two weeks but my energy is high again. My moods are more even and calm.

I don't recommend the moderation idea because for me it just creates more cravings. I am not trying to do a diet but make permanent changes that will lead to a healther life.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are really support groups for food addicts. It's called FA. My inlaws are part of the program, they have meetings and even sponsors. Look it up chances there are meetings in your area. Food Addicts Anonomous
  • Cndngirl
    Cndngirl Posts: 15
    Options
    Firstly, I would like to thank those who can relate and who shared their story, offered support, and/or shared tips. It is greatly appreciated! MFP is proving to be a great tool thus far. I hope that we can continue to support each other throughout this life-long journey.

Secondly, if, for some reason, I sounded like I was 'joking' about this topic or making light of the word 'addiction', all I can say is that I feel very strongly about this and this is NO joke. I smoked for almost 20 years and the fact that I could quit cold turkey was a comforting feeling (tough but cold turkey works best for me) and while I haven't quit completely, I could take it or leave it now. Food, however, is not something that I can just cut out all together. This is an on-going thing with each passing day. This is something that I have memories of from a child to today. Eating but not in moderation, eating alone because you know what and how much your eating is not right. Maybe the word addiction is not how some of you would describe it (and that's ok), but to me, it's not just a 'I love food', it's a battle and it's affecting not only my weight gain but my health and the only way to describe how I'm feeling at this point.
    With that being said, if I did offend anyone by using the term, I do apologize as that was not my intent.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of it has to do all the processed, greasy crap that I put into my body for years. One thing that didn't occur to me is my sugar intake. I mean, I've thought about it in the past week because I have gone over my sugar a few times in my food log, but never gave much thought to why this is important.

I don't know a lot about blood sugar and how it relates to cravings and crashes.

I'm also starting to realize how important meal planning is going to be and cooking different, healthy meals. When trying to pinpoint when looking back over the years, I think this may be one of the main reasons why I give up. I don't prepare well enough for weekends away, I lack in trying/cooking new recipes (I can cook but not healthy cooking).

Finally, I need to incorporate my family into all of this. My oldest is being a trooper about trying new things my my youngest isn't having any part of it. So right now, I'm making separate meals for everyone in the house it seems.

After a few days of headaches, b*tchiness and being down right irritable, I'm feeling pretty good today and hopeful that I'll get through this.

Thanks again for all of the support! We can do this one day at a time!
  • LifeItself
    LifeItself Posts: 44
    Options
    Yes, I am definiely a food addict. I have been going to Overeaters Anonymous (and listening to their podcasts/phone meetings) to address my food issues.

www.oa.org
    www.oalaig.org

Best wishes :)