Zero to Half Marathon

Options
cnl91_W
cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
Okay, so I'm not exactly at zero. I have good days and bad days when it comes to running, but a good day right now is about 3-4 miles without stopping, and they're pretty rare. Lots of times I still have to take several walking breaks, and I run at a very slow pace (<5mph). I haven't been consistent lately (some weeks I'll get 4 runs, other weeks I'm lucky to get one in), but I want to run a half marathon in October. I know of the different training programs, etc. but I'm curious to hear from you. From when you started running -- actually, consistently running -- how long was it before you felt you could compete in a half? Any tips/ other advice?

Replies

• badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It was almost exactly 1 year from when I started c25k last year until when I ran my first half last weekend. I imagine some people take longer and some take shorter.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When I first-first started running in Oct/Nov 2010, I was pretty inconsistent with running and managed to run a half that following Jun in 2:28. I had no plan, no runners in my life, no MFP, etc. Maybe had a couple hundred miles, but I didn't keep track - just ran when I felt like it.

When I started up again in Jan 2013, I kinda had a plan and a little better motivation, had MFP with some knowledgeable runner friends, and I had 200mi under my belt. I ran the same Jun half marathon (2 years from the 2:28) in 1:45. Also was carrying 30 less pounds from 2011.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    One year ago would be when I started running because I wanted to. Ten years ago I ran between 3-7 miles twice a week... at the gentle request of a cadre of drill instructors.

My pace since January has come down from 12:48 on a 3 mile run to 9:45 on a half marathon, and 9:00 on an easy 4 mile run. Pace came down with increased mileage (I am normally around 20-25 miles per week and only 3 run days) and nothing in the way of dedicated speed work so don't worry that you think you run a very slow pace... you will get faster with time. As much as I tried to block the earlier experience out, I recall it working the same way then... the more we ran the faster we got.

I take walk breaks regularly on most runs as a training method. I like the intervals and I do believe it has helped me stay healthy... important having a job where getting myself injured won't work out so well.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I did Couch-to-5K and ran a 5K the weekend after I was done. 2 months later I ran a half marathon, no training. The longest run I had ever done until then was 5 miles. It was all mind over matter and knowing that if I needed to, I would stop and walk. Adrenaline and sheer determination kept me going and I finished a heck of a hilly Half in 2:40. I was around 160 pounds then. This was a year ago, I am now around 145 pounds, have much more running experience and I now come in around 2:05 to 2:10. You totally got this! :drinker:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was running 4 miles Monday Wednesday Friday and lifting weights. On Tuesday Thursday I ran 6 miles. On Sunday I did a 10 mile run. The half was my first race and it felt like my long run 1:54:30. Work up slow and get some miles in, you'll be fine.
  • cnl91_W
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Hopefully if I keep at it for the next few months I'll be good to go in October :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm not exactly at zero. I have good days and bad days when it comes to running, but a good day right now is about 3-4 miles without stopping, and they're pretty rare. Lots of times I still have to take several walking breaks, and I run at a very slow pace (<5mph). I haven't been consistent lately (some weeks I'll get 4 runs, other weeks I'm lucky to get one in), but I want to run a half marathon in October. I know of the different training programs, etc. but I'm curious to hear from you. From when you started running -- actually, consistently running -- how long was it before you felt you could compete in a half? Any tips/ other advice?
    I didnt go from nothing to a half. I went from nothing to 5k's. Then a 10K per year and also a 7k. After I was on the 5k circuit locally I decided to tackle the HM training.

My advice would be is when you can do 3-4 miles without stopping at all then you should start with some of the half marathon plans.
    I know our gym is doing a marathon and half marathon training for this fall. Both programs start at being able to run 3 miles nonstop.

I suggest when you can routinely run 3-4 miles without stopping to then start the HM taining
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    how long was it before you felt you could compete in a half?
    When I crossed the finish line.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I do run walk intervals. On my half I did in May, I did 9 minutes running, 1 minute walking. Don't feel like you can't take a walk break or that you failed if you do!

I started running in March of 2012. By May I did my first 5K. I did my first 10K by October that year. In April, 2013, I did my first half marathon. I've continued my running and by May of 2014 I had cut my half time by almost 20 minutes. I'm still not fast, by any stretch of the imagination, but my pace for my half, including my walk breaks, averaged 11:30. I was very happy with that!

I would say October would be doable if you're dedicated. It really is enough time for most people.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with walk intervals. Check out Jeff Galloway's training plan. I have no desire to run for miles and miles with no breaks, but I can definitely run for 2 min and 30 seconds at a time.

I never feel I can complete a half, and that's okay with me. I'm still new to them and finding what works best. The last thing I need is to get cocky and slack off. I was TERRIFIED of my first one. But I made it. Find a plan and stick with it, and trust your training to get you to the finish.
  • carmieslug
    carmieslug Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Jeff Galloway program. I think that greater than the physical challenge of running a half is the mental challenge of believing that you can. That's why the Galloway program worked for me. I never had to think - I'm going to run for 13.1 miles - I was able to break it up into segments that my brain could handle. I got faster when I introduced walk breaks, too!
    Also, his plan is only three days a week. 2 - 30 minute workouts and long runs every other weekend. It doesn't sound like much but it allowed me to complete my first half marathon and feel GREAT the next day. It was pretty amazing.
    Enjoy and good luck!
  • runnrgirl74
    runnrgirl74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    12 weeks is all you need so yes you can do it. Look up Hal Higdon's half training plan. I have done it in less but I've been running a lot longer (24 half marathons and 5 full marathons)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    12 weeks is all you need so yes you can do it. Look up Hal Higdon's half training plan. I have done it in less but I've been running a lot longer (24 half marathons and 5 full marathons)
    For someone like yourself...yeah 12 weeks is all you need to do a good HM prep.

For someone to go from 0 to a good HM...probably a bit tougher.

I have used that program before, well basically just upping the LR a mile each week, but had a good foundation to start with.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to do the same thing. Just ran my first 5K (came in at 30:45) and want to start working on getting my distance up. My target half marathon race is also in October.

At the moment, I'm thinking a goal of being up to running 7 miles by the start of August to make the entry fee commitment. For those who have done it, does that seem reasonable?
  • cnl91_W
    Options
    I am hoping to do the same thing. Just ran my first 5K (came in at 30:45) and want to start working on getting my distance up. My target half marathon race is also in October.

At the moment, I'm thinking a goal of being up to running 7 miles by the start of August to make the entry fee commitment. For those who have done it, does that seem reasonable?

From every training plan I've looked at (from 10 weeks to 16 weeks, and it seems like we both have about 20 weeks) 7 miles should be the long run about 6 weeks before the event, so mid-late August is a good goal to set for that distance :)

ETA: Great job on the 5K!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I had run a full in Oct '12 and Half in Jun '13 and 7 mile trail in Nov of '13 and then I didnt run again until the day (Mar 19, 2014) I registered for my Half this last weekend (May 31, 2014).

I started training the day I registered and could not finish 3 miles without walking a couple 3-4 times so once per mile about. I signed up with the confidence of...
    "Ive done this before I can CRAM 12 weeks of Hal Higdon training into 10 weeks NO PROBLEM."

1 HARD week into training and realizing I was a bit further behind fitness wise then I thought; I got a severe case of Bronchitis and was laid up unable to run or do any cardio at all for 2.5 weeks.

My Long runs were very difficult for me and my short runs were hard too! I struggled through all of my trianing and only missed 2 short runs

I finished in 2:38. The race officials said it was the hottest most humid day in race history. I was Very slow and my calves and quads were cramping at the end.

Based on my knowledge of couch to 5k...I did a couch to Half marathon in about 8 weeks.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I went from couch to half marathon in 8 months. But I was very consistent in my running, built up from 3 days a week to 6 days a week, no time off. Consistency is key.