I need a snack idea

Options
I get hungry every two hours. So, when I start grading papers in the afternoon, I need a snack that will tide me over until dinner that will also keep my hands busy because this is my worst junk food craving time of day. It needs to be filling without being full of calories--so a handful of nuts just won't do it. Basically I need something to munch on while I grade (it's a comfort thing).

I tried a handful of baby carrots yesterday and a mug of tea, but I still had hunger pangs before dinner.

Ideas?

Replies

• Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like carrots with fat free ranch. If you need something more, what about low fat yogurt? That usually fills me up better than carrots (which are just to replace the boredom eating, really).
    Cheese stick and some goldfish crackers?
  • YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thoses fiber one bars are good and you get a little bit of chocolate with your snack. Look into foods you like that have a lot of fiber and protien that should stop the hungry. . .
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    24 almonds
    2 T. Raisins

mmm tasty like a yummy trail mix and it's got carbs, good protein with healthy fats all in a little a snack size bag you can make up ahead of time and stash in your cupboard, glove box, purse, gym bag etc.:drinker:

Edited: I agree for me baby carrots are yummy but sure don't fill me up alone for a snack. I find the almond raisins mixed gives me the carb charge and the protein/fat of the almonds a slow release of the carbs to sustain me. Worth giving it a try if you enjoy raisins:wink:
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Lots of water and yogurt
    Or kellogs 90 calorie bars :)
    Or try some protein bars (protein makes you less hungry) I love the South Beach living Protein bars in the flavor peanut butter
    (they have different flavors...and no i'm not doing the South Beach diet, I just like the protein bars)

I buy them at Walmart for 3.99 I think its a box of either 5 or 6
    This is what they are
    http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-Living-Protein-5-Count/dp/B001G7RBMG
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What about air popped popcorn? Two cups is only about 60 calories and 1g fat. There are some seasonings out there that are ready made, or you could make your own. I googled a white cheddar seasoning and it was only about 2 calories and 0g fat.
  • Katherine912
    Katherine912 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try carrots and laughing cow cheese. One 70 calories for 14 baby carrots and a wedge of cheese. You could also do Cliff Z bars. They are super yummy, organic, and only 130 calories a piece!
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just tried something for the first time today. Healthy Living Aramanth Graham Crackers. They are 80% organic and pretty good. I ate mine with some almond butter. They are made from whole grains, have a fair amount of fiber and not full of sugar. There are a couple different kinds too and they certainly have that munch factor you're looking for. (One big thing for me is craving something crunchy) Check them out.
  • briarashley
    Options
    an apple with the skin is an appetite suppressant apparently. it sounds weird but i quite often have an apple chopped up into little bits in a bowl with maybe a dash of milk poured over it. eat it with a spoon and you feel like your eating cereal and it defiantly fills you up
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I love using apples for this. I core it, then cut it into bite sized pieces, put it in a bowl, then snack. It is very similar to snacking on chips out of a bowl, so satisfies that weird craving and it helps fill you up in a healthy way.
  • jrdenning
    Options
    I agree on the Apples.
  • mkh123
    mkh123 Posts: 1
    Options
    Drinking water always keeps you full...I usually add those packets of 0 calorie flavor packettes to a bottle and drink it throughout the afternoon at work. I agree with the carrot sticks; I always enjoy some grapes or blueberries too.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    i like the idea of cutting up apples into bite sized pieces in a bowl (vs slices)

i'm not sure about putting milk on them???
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    my daily after school snack (when my kids get home) is a gala apple with a T peanut butter. I actually crave it and eat it on weekends. The fiber from the apple and the fat from the peanut butter carried me through to dinner 4 hours later. Another good one is baby carrots dipped in hummus. I like the red-pepper hummus, better flavor than plain.
  • MamboGyrl
    MamboGyrl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is getting organic frozen fruit from Trader Joes... 1/4 or 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 or 1/2 cup Pommagranet (sp) & 2 Tablespoons half & half. Slghtly thaw out the fruit or do it frozen for a sorbet consistency. If you need protein...1 hard boiled egg. (I do up 1-2 dozen hard boiled eggs in advance & have them whenever I need them).
    BTW: My body requires a small protein, small carb & small amount of REAL fat (not the non-fat chemical junk) for to feel satiated. Science shows (see weightandwellness.com) WE NEED REAL FAT for our brains & skin. And as long as we are portioning it correctly fat is easily a part of my daily plan.
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    fiber one bars great way to help stay full and get the necessiary fiber requirements for the day

but be warned they do make you gassy :D

Or one of my favorite is 1/2 cup sf jello I like black cherry with lowfat cottage cheese one cup mix together 100 calories 4gm carbs filling and it is high protein
  • amandadrsg
    amandadrsg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My go-to snack is cucumbers, celery, or an apple.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Basically I need something to munch on while I grade (it's a comfort thing).

I hear ya! Grading is the worst part of teaching. I love the rest of it, but grading :sad:

Anyway, I haven't really found food to help me with the grading, but I feel like I need something to do to keep me from getting emotionally drained as I grade. So some ideas: I keep a timer next to me and see how many papers I can get through in X minutes. I save the legibly written papers to grade last; or if I'm grading by section then I save the easiest sections to grade last so that when I finish, I feel good about my students (hey, they did the cover page of their paper correctly, hurray!). I drink lots of water/tea (not coffee, not juice, not soda) so that I have an excuse to stop grading to relieve my bladder!

But on occasions I want food while I grade...
    - try spicy foods... I don't tend to overeat those
    - edamame (it takes time to de-shell them)
    - carrots (love these since I was a child)
    - deli turkey slices (proteins keep you feeling sated longer than fats or carbs)
    - low fat yogurt (I don't use a bowl, I get a spoonful at a time. If you use a new spoon each time, you have a obvious evidence of how much you ate, which helps with not overeating)
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    Popcorn is whole grain and you can eat quite a bit for few calories. Skip the butter & use a little flavored sprinkle, Chipolte or Chile powder even
  • BensTigg
    Options
    Did I write this??? I sit at my desk on my last hour prep to grade, which I dread, and all I can think about is snacking on something. Something I eat with a spoon (like yogurt) doesn't cut it for me. I need a filling, crunching, nibble-on-for-a-while snack. Try a low calorie, low fat cereal dry. I like yogurt or honey-nut cheerios, but there are a lot of options out there. I make myself eat them just one at a time, so a small serving seems bigger. Reduced sugar frosted flakes are good. If you choose the right cereal you will be adding to your nutrition without killing your calories or fat intake, plus you'll actually feel full for a while. It helps with my sweet tooth too.
  • IreneAdler
    Options
    Lately I've been keeping busy during grading by drinking tea, but I was so frustrated today with the work that I ended up crunching vigorously on some carrot sticks and doing a lot of heavy sighing.