Looking for low carb recipes

Options
cniemann26
cniemann26 Posts: 49
Hi everyone!

I am only 5 ft...5'1" on a good day...and carbs have always been my enemy, they tent to go straight to my waist and stay there. I am just getting back to eating a lower carb diet, and I generally try and stick to a max of 100 g a day so that I can continually maintain this lifestyle and keep the dinner rolls from teaming up on me to form one giant roll on my stomach. Does anyone have everyday recipes that are low carb?

Replies

• remlaw06
    remlaw06 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of crustless quiches. I just made this one the other day and it was awesome:
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/quicherecipes/r/r100416a.htm

I also make a cucumber salad - everything chopped: cucumber, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, olives, red onion, mushrooms, greek dressing. Serving is 255 calories and 8 carbs.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying this chocolate mug cake for breakfast:

1 egg
    1 T cocoa
    2 T flax seed meal
    dash of cinnamon
    3/4 t baking powder
    2 packets Splenda (or equivalent amt. Stevia)
    1 T melted butter or coconut oil

Mix all together very well in a microwave-safe bowl or 10-oz mug. It should look like cake batter.

Nuke for 1 min. 40 seconds or whatever it takes to get the top dry and springy.

Very tasty! Pretty healthy. Like ONE net carb. You cannot even tell you're eating flax seed.
  • Trilby16
    Options
    I just made this chocolate flax seed cake even better and easier by using a T of full-fat sour cream instead of the coconut oil or butter. Very easy to mix up and divine texture. Try it!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-Squash-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx
    The photo doesn't do it justice. It comes out looking like cheesy bread.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    www.closetcooking.com/2013/05/asparagus-baby-artichoke-pesto-and-goat.html
    This is so good we never use regular crust any more.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not "go to your waist and stay there'. If they did, you would be a medical marvel and they'd lock you in a lab and study you like a rat. Seriously, what you are claiming is impossible.

It may be that because higher carb food items commonly have more calories, that when you eat more carbs you are inadvertently taking in more calories, causing you gain weight. But carbs in and of themselves do not cause weight gain. Only an excess of calories can do that.

edited for clarification
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've posted some good LC recipes on my blog here. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MistressPi
  • Trilby16
    Options
    Anyone tried the recipe for "cloud bread" yet? I just made some today. Not sure yet if it was worth the trouble.
  • Trilby16
    Options
    Not sure why you're posting that here. I think we are just sharing recipes, not arguing over where (or whether) carbs land on your body. A lot of people have success eating low carb. Some people find that high carb eating leads them to over-eat and be hungry all the time-- like me! That's why.

Why do REPLIES not show up as replies, but just as new posts????????

And why does it say who edited the posts? Can other people than me edit my posts?
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Anyone tried the recipe for "cloud bread" yet? I just made some today. Not sure yet if it was worth the trouble.
    Not worth the trouble for me. I would rather make crepes from chick pea flour.
  • Fancy_66
    Fancy_66 Posts: 17
    Options
    check out my pinterest board of low carb recipes I have collected....some are more for maintenance than loss
    http://www.pinterest.com/ronineer/no-carb-low-carb/
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have a low carb biscuit recipe that you can sub for dinner rolls. http://getfitkatie.blogspot.com/2011/10/recipe-lchf-buttery-garlic-and-sharp.html
  • Ronni66
    Ronni66 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have a couple recipes on my profile ..I can't do carbs much so I have to eat mainly meats and veggies. Though, if you are going to do the dinner roll, use whole grain ones and only have one.

Try to stay away from white foods...cept milk, that's good for you. Recipes are not that hard to come up with, just make sure that you use meats and veggies , beans ect ..nuts and very little pasta , breads etc.

High Protein , low carbs is the way to go. Good recipes are the Diabetic ones..google that and there are like endless ones on the net.

good luck!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I don't really do a lot of low carb stuff but when I was under the paleo fad a while back I did make some paleo biscuits which were very nice, albeit dense.

http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/paleo-biscuits-recipe/

Otherwise, try experimenting with tapioca flour, coconut flour, and sweet potato flour.
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    and soy flour.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    www.closetcooking.com/2013/05/asparagus-baby-artichoke-pesto-and-goat.html
    This is so good we never use regular crust any more.

This looks very good. I've printed it out to try it. I'll make it without a crust, though.
  • Mamabearsandbl
    Mamabearsandbl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive found tons of good low carb recipes online, I got Almond flour and Coconut flour at Costco the other day, and plan on trying a bunch this summer. I am just starting low carb. So far this one made a pretty decent bread:
    1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
    2 tablespoons coconut flour
    ¼ cup golden flaxseed meal
    ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
    1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
    5 eggs
    ¼ cup coconut oil
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Place almond flour, coconut flour, flax, salt and baking soda in a food processor
    Mix ingredients together
    Mix in eggs, oil and vinegar
    Pour batter into a greased 7.5″ x 3.5″ loaf pan
    Bake at 350°F/180°C for 30 minutes
    Cool and serve
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I made this fiesta chicken salad post a while back; carbs aren't bad.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235283-the-most-amazing-fiesta-salad-you-ll-ever-have
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not your enemy. Portions are your enemy. Your plate should a fist size of protein, lots of salad and veggies and some fat like avocado and some dairy like yogurt and some fruit. You will be full and not tend to overeat. Carbs feed the brain. too low carb is not good. just eat healthy carbs like fruit and vegetables and whole grains bread and pastas, including quinoa and bulgur. no white bread or sugar and you will be okay.
    you can cut down on carbs but do not eliminate them.