Question about loose, excess skin?

Options
I wanted to ask if anybody on MFP has lost more than 100 lbs and not dealt with loose hanging skin. I am 120 lbs from my first goal weight and something that's been scaring me is all these stories of loose hanging skin. I've searched ways to get rid of excess skin and the most popular option is surgery, but I really would hate to get plastic surgery because for some reason I'd feel like I cheated myself. So again, has anyone lost a dramatic amount of weight and avoided loose hanging skin? Or is there something I can be doing while losing the weight that'll help me avoid it? I'm 19 years old, 6'1. I weight train 5 days a week and I do cardio exercises 6 days a week.

P.S. Anyone is free to add me. I need all the motivation I can get!

Replies

• jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from the "remaining" skin. Its not massive, but it is still there. Aside from surgery, there isnt too much you can do to remove it, however, as you are still quite young, you shouldnt suffer from it too much.

My 2 tips tho, to help, are to use Bio-Oil daily, rubbed into your tummy, and get a bit of a tan! I've done this over the last couple of years, and its definately made a difference in my appearence. I can take my shirt off on the beach, and not feel overly concious about it :)
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 150# (was 317 & am 168) and started working out and lifting weights in December. I have some wrinkly skin but it is not bad. And no muffin top - that really surprises me. People have said wait 1-2 years and work out and you will get toned and some of the skin will tighten up. So that's what I'm shooting for.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yeah I personally don't worry about the idea of a little excess skin. I spend about 99.978% of my day either with my shirt on or with people who think I look good without it on regardless.

The only real way to avoid it is if you are young and only recently gained weight. The body is pretty good about being able to make new skin but doesn't really have any skin removal processes built in.

A lot of people lift weights when they slim down though and that will help tighten things up a little.

I promise you though, when you lose 100 pounds, you're not going to look at a little skin that mostly only you can see and think it would be better to put the weight back on!
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I've lost 90 pounds and I have no loose, hanging skin besides a little from my stomach from being pregnant. I actually do toning along with cardio and I think that is one of the big reasons I don't have it
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I just hit 100 and my skin is not too bad. Just worry about losing the weight first. There's really not much you can do to prevent it. You may get lucky or have really bad excess. However, the possibility of loose skin shouldn't be a detriment and there are bigger fish to fry right now. And regardless of what anyone tells you, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you lose it because it all boils down to your genetics.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with all the above comments. When that 100 lbs is gone, even if you have some loose skin, your life is so much better, that is a small price to pay.

Drop the idea of "cheating" yourself. That is a great excuse not to do anything, at least it was for me for decades. My profile is open. Which pictures look worse, the morbidly obese (hmmm, well I think I'm still in that category) or the pictures of me 150 lbs less than I was? If you notice nothing else, notice the smiles. I haven't seen a picture of anybody on this site that looks unhappy in pictures after losing the weight...

Please, do yourself the favor and fix this while you are young. I ignored those pleas and had to almost die to get the point. There is a lot of great life out there to find, and you can find it better when you can get around easier.

Best of luck to you, sir!