A very silly NSV

Options
GrindingSalt
GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
I was visiting my parents last fall and we went to Ikea. As we walked around, I saw a giant print that I loved -- a simple black/white image of a woman with overlayed text that said "Everything you see I owe to spaghetti" -- a quote from Sophia Loren.

I've always loved pasta. During culinary school & my time as a professional chef, it was my number one thing to cook -- somehow it just makes sense to me. I love making fresh pasta, cooking it, pairing it with things, and of course eating it. So this posted seemed just perfect! My apartment is completely covered in art, every wall has a different piece on it that I've carefully chosen & gotten framed..... other than right above my kitchen table. That wall was empty. So, I got the print, and I got a frame, and I hauled it all the way home from Philadelphia to NYC and....

then I got self conscious. I was the heaviest I had ever been and I felt deeply uncomfortable in my body. Instead of the initial lightheartedness I felt towards the print, a celebration of curviness and a love for food, now it felt like a declaration of what had gotten me to this overweight body.

So it sat in my closet. And sat. And sat.

And in January, fed up with deeply trapped in a body I didn't like, I found MFP and I started logging every single day. As I said, I was a chef so getting creative with my food was exciting instead of a chore. I discovered how much protein scallops have, how few calories zucchini has, how 5 grams of butter is really enough to cook almost anything, and how easy it is to work chocolate into almost every day of eating.

And, because I was now logging all my food, I started eating more spaghetti. I ate it with browned garlic and butter and parmesan cheese, I ate it with sausage and spicy tomato sauce, I ate it with broccoli pesto, I ate it with mussels, I ate it with baked chicken and basil, I ate it in the most luxurious form of mac & cheese I've ever made. I ate it, and logged it, and realized that I can eat pasta, often, happily, and still lose weight.

I've lost 20 pounds since January. I feel great in my body. I'm not done, but I'm happy with how I look & feel.

I remembered the print, stuffed way back in my closet, and decided that it was time to hang it up. Yes, I DO owe this body to spaghetti! This curvy, strong, healthy, happy body. Thanks for that, spaghetti : )

Here's a pic of the poster, hung proudly above my kitchen table, and a couple of me within the past few weeks. I don't have any super good body ones, but both of these have to do with food -- one of me at the greenmarket, my second home, and the other at my very favorite restaurant.

tumblr_n6kolkbKm81tolpbvo1_500.jpg
tumblr_n6kp3cFoXU1tdzbivo1_500.jpg
tumblr_n6kp3cFoXU1tdzbivo2_500.jpg

Replies

• jarobichaux
    jarobichaux Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is really wonderful. Congratulations!
  • SpamLamb
    SpamLamb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's silly at all! I think it's amazing and I am crazy happy for you! And this is coming from someone who still feels self conscious about eating in front of strangers so I know how you feel. Well done and way to own it!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Love it:love:
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this post! Thank you for sharing your "silly NSV". I'm glad you've found a way to eat a food you love. All of the ways you mentioned cooking it sound delicious! I think next you'll need to post spaghetti recipes :)

Cute pictures too!
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this story! I also feel like MFP has freed me to eat more of the foods I love (and find new ones too!) rather than restrict me. Overall, I think the foods I eat now are more luxurious, in part because I have learned not to be afraid of fats and oils!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Nothing silly about it! You found a way to work in what you love. That's incredibly valuable. Now that print will mean even more to you.
  • 2012Mich
    2012Mich Posts: 93
    Options
    What a great post! Loved reading it! Congratulations and I wish you continued success.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Great post. Great poster. Finally, great poster. win, Win, WIN!
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A lovely reminder that we all can have healthy eating habits, and it will look a little different for each of us...love the print and the sentiment:smile:
  • GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! I'm choked up as I read your responses. It means a lot : ) I know my 20 pound loss isn't huge, and I've gone about it very slowly, but it's been such a big revelation for me to realize that eating in a way that allows me to lose weight doesn't mean being unhappy -- it just means taking in less calories than I'm putting out. That's it : )

I mean it -- thank you all <3
  • Becky60s
    Becky60s Posts: 11
    Options
    Oh, I love this post! Congratulations on your wonderful success, and thanks for the reminder that food is meant to be enjoyed and most of us don't need to cuts out starches and sweets to lose weight.

Edited to add: You are adorable!
  • 45thin
    45thin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading your post!! I am just getting started again, but it sounds great to be able to eat pasta, because I love it too!!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    This is a lovely post.

I, too, lost a lot of weight eating plenty of pasta. Good luck with the rest of your spaghetti journey!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    fantastic job OP!

dont ever second guess your level of accomplishment!

whos+awesome.gif
  • Embracing_Change
    Options
    I love the poster & the story... not silly at all and & congratulations! :smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Pshaw.

Everyone knows you can't lose weight without cutting out things like pasta.

(I keed! I keed!)

Well done, OP.

:drinker:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    It really is an incredible print. Great accomplishment!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I love this story :love: ...thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou:

Now, if we can get someof those speghetti recipes :wink: LOL! :laugh:

Way to go! Keep on keeping on!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yay! You win all the things! And it's not silly at all.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Huzzah!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!