On extended bedrest, can I reduce cal by another 500?

Options
I am a firm believer in eating enough calories based on your BMR, HOWEVER, I am on extended bedrest after surgery and am literally only out of bed to walk 10min twice a day (dr's orders) and to go to the bathroom. I am not even preparing my meals for my four children as I have respite doing that. Being very ill for two weeks following surgery, it was all I could do to keep down a few hundred calories, and have lost 16lbs in two weeks. My appetite is back somewhat, and following the ketogenic diet I am completely satisfied at 700-800 calories which leaves me quite stuffed. Obviously if I were moving more I would be more hungry and would be eating the MFP recommended 1200 to lose the final 12 lbs, but in the meantime does it make sense to continue reducing the 1200 by 500 for weightloss? I'm worried if I up it to 1200 I will gain, since this way I'm losing 1-2 pounds a week. I'm also worried that if I continue I will stall my losses by going into starvation mode. I guess I feel as though bedrest is special circumstances , and not the same as sedentary which would still include moving through the days normal activities. Thoughts?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You are healing. Eat the 1200 minimum, you'll still lose weight, and you're doing your body a favour. You need quality nutrition to get better, which just won't happen on 700 calories a day.

Edit: Quite frankly, I'd suggest you try to maintain while healing from major surgery, but that's just my 2p.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    no.

you are eating too little. BMR is the calories you burn at rest, eating 700 cals a day is not good at all, especially when recovering from surgery. also you only have 16 lbs left to lose, so your deficit should be small to begin with, which i feel would put you higher than 1200
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    your recovering from surgery, your body needs the energy to repair itself particularly protein

even if you were at full strength with only 12lb left to lose 2lb a week is too much at this stage. 0.5 - 1lb a week would be better

unless your doctor has suggested such a low calorie diet to you then up your calories to a better level
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    :huh: I would talk to your doctor and focus on eating in the best way to heal your body, not lose weight. I'm also hoping that you're trolling.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't think 700-800 calories a day is good at all even in your condition. If you are concerned about gaining weight then eat at your daily calorie maintenance level. Feel free to ask for help if you don't know how to figure that amount out.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You should be eating maintenance levels. You need to heal, and a deficit increases the stress on the body. Worry about the weight loss after you healed some.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    oh my god, slow and steady slow and steady slow and steady...

do not cut down drastically, because once your body is used to that, then you will have to cut drastic and drastic, give your body plenty of opportunity to break plateaus! Reduce small increments of calories, no more than 200 every 2-1/2 weeks if NEEDED

You will shock your metabolism, and it will run very slow and not be able to burn as efficiently if u do a lot in one time/ one week!

slow and steady will keep your metabolism on fire and steadily losing...

Dana
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't would worry about your weight right now, you will have plenty of time to worry about that once you're up and about again. Focus on maintaining a proper diet to help you recover and heal. Get lots of rest and feel better.
  • spalunker
    spalunker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. After a post-op with my surgeon, she didn't seem surprised or concerned with my lack of appetite at this stage given how ill I was. I am very full at the 700-800 and am filling the calories with very healthy food and supplementing that with coconut oil just to up my calories. I guess I'm struggling because I don't feel like I'm depriving myself, I'm actually full and often forcing myself to eat. I'm not about the quick fix, I just worry about gaining being a blob in bed and force feeding myself to the point of nausea just to reach a number. I also wanted to keep up the momentum but wasn't sure how. I didn't realize the BMR is at a resting rate, I thought it was sedentary but awake and still doing day to day things without exercise.
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Honey, I think at this point you really need to focus on healing and getting well for your kids, not on losing. Eating that low, even when you're bedridden, is just going to speed down your healing process. If your appetite is low, try asking whoever's doing your shopping to buy some of your favorite foods to peak your interest. Sending get well wishes your way!